The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Fresh Water Tank Level on 25?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
7. Mike- Is your Cruise Ship's set up with the three tanks OEM? If not, how many changes have you made? What is your current capacity? Are the tanks at equivalent heights/levels so a sight tube set up would work, or...?

I think the only OEM tank on the 1996 CD is the 20 (guess) gallon tank on the starboard side under the floor of the hanging closet. I believe the previous owner added the other two. The boat came to me with the starboard tank, and two tanks on the port side. Under the rear dinette seat was a 13 gal. tank, and under the forward dinette seat was a 26 gallon tank. I moved the big tank into the space beneath the rear seat where the smaller one is. It just fits along with the water heater, pump, filter, and macerator pump. Needless to say, the dinette seats on the older 25 are a whole bunch bigger than the new ones.

Two of the tanks were fitted with tygon sight tubes, and I jerked them out and plugged the holes. The tubing was grungy looking. The hot water system, which draws from the port side tanks is plumbed to the galley sink, so the small tank is used as reserve for any part of the system. If either of the large tanks goes dry, I still have the 13 gallons to last until I refill.

We use a lot of water. When you open both the hot and cold valves to the galley sink, running both pumps, there is a lot of flow. That's not a problem at the home port, having a potable hose at my slip. But for the longer cruises, the girls will have to learn to conserve. Or bum water from Daydream.

Of course the stupid riser loop won't work as described. I guess I was thinking of the tap for the upper valve being right on the tank wall. That would do it, but if you can't get to the tank to tap it, then it would be hard to do.

Jammin

City/Region: Tucson
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Jammin
Photos: Jammin
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Watermaker Reply with quote

We don't worry about the water level as much as we used to. I installed a PUR35 watermaker in the port aft closet. Works well using the nearby thru hull for supply.

Dennis

Minnow

City/Region: East Amwell
State or Province: NJ
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Minnow
Photos: Minnow
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the literature I've seen lists the water tank on the 25 at 20 gallons. The holding tank is listed at 24 gallons. The additional 6 gallons in the water heater isn't usable, since when the 20 is used up, there isn't anything left to push out the 6 gallons of hot.

That being said, 20 gallons has been adequate most of the time, but it sure would be nice to know beforehand if I have enough water to get the shampoo out of the hair that I have left.
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked at the area under the table again and it would be very simple to cut the line under the table put in a "T" and run a vertical "sight glass" up the port side. It would not be that visible unless you looked under the table to check the level. Think I will do that.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anna Leigh wrote:
Looked at the area under the table again and it would be very simple to cut the line under the table put in a "T" and run a vertical "sight glass" up the port side. It would not be that visible unless you looked under the table to check the level. Think I will do that.

David,

On the top end of the sight glass tubing, you might want to put a glass fritted filter as is used in aquairum bubblers - this will keep dust etc. out but will allow air to pass through. Just a thought.

Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you other CD25 owners are in for a real treat! I'm relatively new to the C-Brats (and really like it/them/you guys BTW) -- an ex/"old" C-Dog. I discovered this forum category tonight just before I was going to post my findings and results on my water tank exploits. Seems last June quite a discussion, wish I'd read them before -- I even tried one of them on my own some months back -- put in a tee and vertical tube to get a feel for the water level. Didn't work very well, way too sensitive to boat attitude, fore/aft, port/starboard. Also, you have to cap off the top of the tube or your water pump won't draw correctly (better word, it'll suck bad..).

My 25 is a 2002/2003 'vintage' (Tyboo Mike likes that reference), and I have always wondered if I'm about to run out of water on long trips (I have twice now), no indicator and the whole tank is glassed in under the V-berth area. After trying the sight tube trick with no luck, I surmized like others the tank must be under the port side V-berth area (maybe later models are different, and also, I elected to NOT get the hot water tank). I bought a porthole cover and proceeded to drill and cut then remove flotation from under the port side foot stepwell, now I have a unique, cute "storage hole" about 12"Deep, 5"Dia with a nifty screw-on port hole. Looks great, but no water tank!

So I resorted to writing Jeff at the factory (hindsight...). He sent me the first 3 pictures of my tank starting here: http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=FreshwaterSystems&id=Pic_of_Water_Tank_001&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php. Water Systems Detail Photos

So, the tank is actually in the middle right in front of the V-berth footwell area! And look at that SHAPE -- a wedge-shaped, triangular thing. I ordered a Bowmar hatch to fit the largest dimensions of the area (I'll get the p/n if anyone interested). I began cutting the opening about a week ago, see pictures. That was my first sighting of the water tank ever! It was exciting (hey, we engineers have to be fed new activities or we get a bit bored..). Surprised to not run into much flotation foam. Jeff said the tank holds 20 gals, but as you can see after filling it ONE PRECISION GALLON AT A TIME (whew!) and marking after each filling, it actually holds 17 3/4 gallons, period. I'm OK with the qty, can always pack a few extra gallon jugs if needed for really long trips.

Odd though, notice it was installed on a bias, with both the fill and vent tubes (port side) on the low end. Maybe the air bubble is important in rough seas...don't know, maybe others might know?

I'll install the Bowmar hatch next, had to "modify" it a bit also because the tank is right up against the top edge, so it interfers with the inside lip of the hatch bottom. Jeff said several have installed a hatch to view the tank. A word of caution, use a small drill and probe with a wire to get an idea how close the tank is to the surface before using a jig saw. I sawed all by hand and used a dremel cutting wheel for the top. Next I'll be cutting a round hole and adding a 6" porthole on top towards the left to be able to service the fill and vent hoses/clamps someday if needed.

Hope this helps others, I'm pleased with the results. But like others mentioned, seems odd the factory didn't provide any means of monitoring the water level. Do the newer CD25's have water monitors?

Steve
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Odd though, notice it was installed on a bias, with both the fill and vent tubes (port side) on the low end. Maybe the air bubble is important in rough seas...don't know, maybe others might know?"

Steve-

Can you see the hose connections?

Let me see if I'm visualizing this right:

It looks to me like the tank has three inlets/outlets. Two at the top rear port side, and one at the rear bottom center.

My guess is that the larger of the two on the side is the inlet, the smaller one the air vent return tube to the inlet area (like a gas tank), and the bottom rear smaller opening the supply / feed to the pump and system.
Is this correct?

Maybe the tank has just shifted over to one side about 45 degrees with the tank's port side "V" angle in the center of the hull's "V", rather than with the tank's center bottom "V" centered in the hull's "V"?

Would the shifted tank laying on the vent and supply tubes restrict the inflow of water in the manner you've experienced?

If the tank were emptied, do you think it could be shifted back upright?

Do you have any evidence that the tank was ever strapped down or locked into position with adhesives or blocks of foam or other structural members?

Maybe I'm seeing and / or visiualizing this upside down or backwards???

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Dora~Jean

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Joe,

This is too funny, seems like I got so excited seeing this tank I couldn't read MY OWN markings, it really only has 16 3/4 gal capacity! Hmmm, that's over 3 gals lost to the bias.

Yes, I can see the hose connections. With a extension handled mirror and bright light I saw the inlet hose (large) and smaller vent hose on the top port side, just like the bare tank picture. And you are also correct, the pickup (outlet) to the pump is at the bottom rear center of the tank, just how it's oriented in the factory pictures.

I like your theory that it might have shifted over the years, I've been in some pretty rough stuff at times. All of the hoses appear to be foamed/fiberglassed in place a short distance from the tank connections, not positive though. I'll try to move the tank with my fingers to see if it's possible. Thanks for the tip.

Steve
stevej

City/Region: Gaston
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: Shearwater
Photos: Shearwater
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike the original sales brochure I have lists the fresh water tank as 25 gal for our boats.

The gentleman I bought Shearwater from had installed a rubber blatter type tank as a spare that I removed. With no shower or water heater and still using the factory foot pump 25 gallons lasts me a long time.

stevej

1995 25' Cruise Ship #3
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never did install the T in the line with a stand pipe. I decided that the open end would draw air into the system when the jet pump called for water.

So what other ideas are there for a means to know how much water is in the tank. Re-settable flow guage? Mike, how about it?

My info has the tank also at 25 Gal capacity.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David-

I know you asked Mike this question, but if the open end of the stand pipe/level indicator tube was restricted to a very small opening, the air intake would be delayed a bit and then only be so small that it wouldn't matter. Maybe a 1/32" or smaller air hole in the end cap? The small hold would also dampen any sloshing motion underway which makes reading the tube difficult. Joe.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Steve, I'm going to install a standpipe to get an idea of the level. What's wrong with putting a small valve at the top? Closed it doesn't allow the pump to suck air, and just cracked, it'll damp the oscillations.

I guess you're trying to tell us that we've got a good 17 gallons of water. I will say that we didn't run out of water at Catalina, must be the beer.

Also, to prime the pump, when I fill the tank, I plug up the overboard vent, jam the fill hose down, and have Judy turn on the water untill it starts pumping. Once per trip.

Boris

PS, it's raining outside, and I don't go out when it's wet, so here I am.
Dora~Jean

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Closest place to put the tee (on my boat) was under the passenger side front footwell. I'll try to take a picture before I disassemble it and just put a male to male coupler back in. There's several problems with this method. The boat's attitude fore/aft and left/right varied the reading by +/-3 or more gallons, and didn't even register below about 4-5 gallons because of where it is. Wasn't much value at all. You must cap off the top of the hose so the pump doesn't suck air, a pinhole vent works OK, that's what I did so I could still get a reading and not have pump problems -- but the reading was, as I said, not much value.

My boat entered production in Aug'02, I took delivery late Dec'02, it is registered as an '03 model since mfr'd after 1 July 2002. I'm thinking they improved and changed the water tank to hold more water if the '05's all say 25 gallons, Jeff said mine was a 20 gal tank; appears there's plenty more room up there to accommodate a larger tank. I believe 20 gal would be right if the tank wasn't tilted so much. I also believe they tilted it on purpose to be more secure in that part of the hull it rests on -- rather than build a special platform to allow it to sit level. I still have to go out and see if it's loose or foamed into place, after I cut my 6" porthole above the tank for fittings access.

I'm glad I decided to cut and install a large hatch up there, the hatch looks just fine, simple and accurate.

Stay tuned...
/steve
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I had a chance to "study" a new 25' C-Dory at the Foxboro Boat Show.

The fresh water tank is now under the aft part of the cockpit, and the cockpit floor now is screwed on so access of the gas and water tanks for maintenance is available. The locker under the aft seat of the dinnette holds the water heater, and not much else. I would think that there is a better way to get hot water than a 110 AC hot water heater! It assumes that we all store our C-Dory's in a marina. There must be a better way.

Fred Heap

Pete in NY

City/Region: Western LI Sound, NY
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Miss Pam
Photos: Miss Pam
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tank under the aft cockpit floor is the holding tank for the head.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: