The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Fresh Water Tank Level on 25?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gotjm3

City/Region: Middle River
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C's the Day
Photos: C's the Day
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Fresh Water Tank Level on 25? Reply with quote

Howdy All-

Anyone have some insight on how to tell how much water is in the tank on a 25? Any feedback is appreciated.

Cheers!

Hailing from Middle River, MD
(A drinking town with a boating problem...)
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume that the factory sets up the fresh water tanks on the 25 the same as they do on the 22's (but I'm likely wrong). However, on my 22 (made in 2002), there is a clear piece of tygon tubing that runs from the bottom of the fresh water tank and up the side of the port rear most seat. You can see the water level in the tubing. If your tank is not set up similarly, it is a relatively simple matter to do do.

Roger on the SeaDNA

Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately, or unfortunately , the 24 gal. tank in the 25 is sealed inside the port side of the v-berth and short of cutting into the fiberglass of the v-berth you are never going to see it.

The main water line is routed from the tank along the port side corner of the floor and can be seen in several areas.It is visible under the port front storage box where your feet rest when facing forward And inside the storage box under the table. It goes back to a point where it wyes. One side to the hot water heater and the other one the cold side. A "T" could be easily put in at some point and run vertically up the port side just as the 22 has. It may not look pretty running up the side at the points you can access it, but it would work just like the sight glass on the 22.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you could "dress" it up enough to overcome the "tube to nowhere" appearance? Here's an idea-

After adding the "T" make the vertical tube out of clear rigid plastic, then add a small floating colored ball inside the tube for visibility, and secure it to the wall with stainless fairlead straps as used for lines in sailboats or other hardware of your choosing.

With the system empty, add water in measured 5 gallon amounts, marking the water level 1st with masking tape at the side of the tube. The boat will have to be on its approximate level floating lines for this.

Now go back and mark the levels and quantities on the tube with vinyl press on dashes and numerals for the levels and gallons.

Customize to fit your needs. Be sure to position the tube in a "safe" place to keep it from being kicked loose and flooding the cabin. Can you match the ball and lettering colors to your hull accent and trim colors?

I don't have such a system on my older "87 Cd-22 cruiser. but will add one. I know the gauge tube must be open on the end to allow the water level to fluctuate, and an air filter should be placed on top of the tube. Also, the top of the tube must be high enough that the water will not flow out of it during a surge from boat movement or an over fill. What type of opening and filter arrangement is used in the factory set up on the 22? Is it "T"d back into the vent tube from the tank to make a "closed system" and avoid the filter? Need to develop something that looks good!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another possibility would be to mount an electric gauge in the tank. A fuel tank gauge would probably work wonders in this application Shocked

If you want to mount the viewing tube you should tie it back into the tank at the top. Basically put a small bulkhead fitting into the tank at top and bottom and then put 2 elbows with a clear tube between the elbows. Pretty simple yet effective so long as you have access to the tank.

Alyssa Jean

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Pretty simple yet effective so long as you have access to the tank.

That is the problem. You can't get there from here. Unless you want to start cutting fiberglass to get to the tank.
gotjm3

City/Region: Middle River
State or Province: MD
Vessel Name: C's the Day
Photos: C's the Day
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much for all the input. I took a look at the water line under the companion seat locker and thought that would be the site of my project. What I'm thinking of doing is this:

1. putting an in-line tee into the 1/2" PVC and running a clear pvc "riser tube" from the vertical leg of the tee about 3' long.

2. I will cap off the tee with a valve that will allow me to open it to the atmoshere when I'm holding it up to see the level in the tank, and close it off at all other times.

3. Or, should I put the valve right above the tee leg, and just leave the end open ? (I'm leaning toward the first idea (#2) but I throw out option 3 just for the heck of it.)

4. I will mark the full level on the riser tube and just use the water level as a relative indicator.

While perhaps more marks or floating balls would be sexier, I am mostly interested in knowing "when to re-fill" rather than knowing the exact quantity of water left. I also would not want the ball to get sucked into the pump or clog the line if the level got too low.

When the tube is not in use, I will just fold it back into the locker. I have no need to display it at all times.

So then... comments...???

Thanks again to all who have responded!
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am mostly interested in knowing "when to re-fill" rather than knowing the exact quantity of water left.

That being the case, maybe just a hidden riser loop and a couple of inexpensive valves will suffice. If you put a valve in the existing run from the tank, with a tee on each side of it, and hose a loop between the branches of the tees with a valve in it at the top of the loop, then by closing the lower valve and opening the higher valve you will run out of water at the pump suction when the tank level reaches the elevation of the upper valve. Then simply close the top valve and open the other to access your "reserve" and refill the next chance you get.

Of course, if your pump will not reprime itself like Daydream's, that's another story. My CD25 is set up differently than the newer ones, and there are two freshwater tanks (well, actually I have three tanks, but two systems). One system has a Sureflo brand pump, and it will not regain it's prime without coaxing. The other system has a Flojet pump, and it will suck the water into itself. If your pump will not prime itself, I would suggest replacing it with one that does because you will be cursing it somewhere down the line.

Then on the other hand, I may be all wet here. We'll see if this passes muster when Professor Sea Wolf and the Dogon Engineer get hold of it.

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we are still working on that one...and a pump replacement may be the solution, still hoping for something less drastic.

Jeff Messmer - OK, some future CD25 improvements: (1) the water pressure pump HAS to self-prime without resort to a bag of tricks, and (2) there ought to be a clear riser so we can see the remaining water level. Just points for that notebook... and you really ought to consider a larger (40 gallon) water tank - with the pressurized water system, it just goes too fast for 24 gallons to suffice for anything longer than overnight...

TyBoo wrote:
Of course, if your pump will not reprime itself like Daydream's, that's another story... If your pump will not prime itself, I would suggest replacing it with one that does because you will be cursing it somewhere down the line.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Last edited by Pat Anderson on Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyBoo wrote:
Quote:
I am mostly interested in knowing "when to re-fill" rather than knowing the exact quantity of water left.

That being the case, maybe just a hidden riser loop and a couple of inexpensive valves will suffice. If you put a valve in the existing run from the tank, with a tee on each side of it, and hose a loop between the branches of the tees with a valve in it at the top of the loop, then by closing the lower valve and opening the higher valve you will run out of water at the pump suction when the tank level reaches the elevation of the upper valve. Then simply close the top valve and open the other to access your "reserve" and refill the next chance you get.

<stuff clipped>

Then on the other hand, I may be all wet here. We'll see if this passes muster when Professor Sea Wolf and the Dogon Engineer get hold of it.

I don't think that's gonna work - as long as no air gets in the system, the loop up and back down won't change the apparent pressure from the tank at the hose farthest from the tank. Think of siphoning a swimming pool - as long as the end of the hose outside of the pool is lower than the end inside the pool, there is no problem with water going up over the wall. The energy (pressure) lost going up is regained on the way back down.

Roger on the SeaDNA
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
... and you really ought to consider a larger (40 gallon) water tank - with the pressurized water system, it just goes too fast for 24 gallons to suffice for anything longer than overnight...

Wow, we've had RV's with 35 gallons of fresh, and unless someone took showers, it lasted well over a weekend. Something doesn't compute. Back to "are you sure the tank was full and that it draws down to almost empty?"

Does the 25 have a place for an external hose hookup for marina use?

Don
Alyssa Jean

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new 25's only have 24 gallons of available tank water and no hook-up for a direct source. I think it would be relatively simple during construction to add a second tank on the starboard side and hook them together at the bottom with a 1" line. Only issue would be the additional weigh and distribution of weight. But that shouldn't really be a problem. Only a couple of hundred pounds.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should learn to keep my nose out of matters of which I have no direct knowledge (e.g., what a 25 exactly looks like inside), as it sometimes gets me into speculative solutions to problems that may or not be the most practical! Also, when you're first to post on a subject, you don't always have the time to evaluate a solution and double think it through. Easier to set back and find the errors of others.

Nonetheless, here are some continuing thoughts on this subject:

1. It's amazing that the freshwater tank would be sealed inside the v-berth compartment. At a minimum, a watertight inspection port would seem to be in order here to be able to check the plumbing connections.

2. It's surprising that the 25 only has a 24 gallon tank, considering that the 22 has 20 gallons, sans shower and head. Is the heater tank typically filled with water as the main tank is topped off which increases the total capacity a bit, say from 24 to 29/30 gallons?

3. It doesn't matter a bit whether you dress up or simply hide the sight level tube, just suit yourself. Or go without the tube and fill up at every opportunity. (Dusty wouldn't like this approach!)

4. I'd much prefer a closed sight tube system system with the vent at the top of the sight tube returning to the intake vent tube for sanitary and safety reasons.

5. The sight tube and it's connections can be of any diameter, since they're not in the supply system, making a 1/4" or so tube set up possible.

6. I'd have to agree with Roger's analysis of Mike's 2-valve hose bridge set up, at least as I understand its proposed construction.

7. Mike- Is your Cruise Ship's set up with the three tanks OEM? If not, how many changes have you made? What is your current capacity? Are the tanks at equivalent heights/levels so a sight tube set up would work, or...?

8. A dockside pressure hose intake would have to have a pressure regulator installed to reduce the pressure to on board pump levels to protect against high pressure blow-outs! To do otherwise, would require doing the entire plumbing with rigid PVC pipe, as in motorhomes, or braided reinforced flexible tubes rated to withstand the pressure. Also, the main tank has to be set up to go off the system and be bypassed (not pressurized). Then there's the issue of needing to increase waste water storage capacity......blah, blah. Way easier to just dangle the water hose in the intake port and turn it on when getting low on the sight tube.

9. An electric level gauge could be OEM installed on the tank, they have specific ones designed for fresh water use for motorhomes.

10. Pat: 24 or more gallons per night, eh? AND you have the water saving composting toilet (no report yet?)! Must be the mini hot tub custom conversion that's sucking up/down all the reserves! Lots of possibilities exist for an incomplete fill up. Might be time for a trip back to the 5 gallon bucket routine to check out the input total.

Youzer! (Sp?)

This whole affair is a great lesson in the KISS Principle! Joe.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We too could stay out four or five days on the CD22 with 20 gallons and the foot pump (we just did on Otter on the Chesapeake). I am confident the tank was full on Daydream. The pressurized water system just seems to gulp water, and then there were the showers each of the three of us took, even though we just wet down, lathered up and rinsed off - something we could not do (well, there was the sun shower) on the CD22. The composting toilet has not arrived yet - it was backordered eight weeks when we ordered it, should be arriving any day now - we have been using a porta potti. Long and the short, we need to practice our water conservation skills, but we are going to carry 20 extra gallons in 5 gallon jugs for lengthy outings like Desolation sound...we will see what other folks' experience is, but I definitely think this boat needs a larger water tank!

Sea Wolf wrote:
10. Pat: 24 or more gallons per night, eh? AND you have the water saving composting toilet (no report yet?)! Must be the mini hot tub custom conversion that's sucking up/down all the reserves! Lots of possibilities exist for an incomplete fill up. Might be time for a trip back to the 5 gallon bucket routine to check out the input total.

Youzer! (Sp?)

This whole affair is a great lesson in the KISS Principle! Joe.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, you need to quit drinking the water Smile and stick to beer or other potables! Cocktail Beer Beer We had no noticible loss of water here in VA and Maryland after the Eastern Shore Gathering last week, didn't see much of it drunk either!

Great to meet you and Patty, how's Oscar?

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: