The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

01/31 - 02/02 - Seattle Boat Show
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: 01/31 - 02/02 - Seattle Boat Show
From 31 Jan 2014 to 02 Feb 2014 (included)

All,

I figure it's about time to be thinking about the Seattle Boat show. Tom and I organized it last year and I'm certainly willing to make similar arrangements again this year. However, some who are used to the previous events may rather have it revert to earlier form. E.g. last year, many of us booked a room at the Silver Cloud Inn adjacent to Century Link Field where the boat show is held. We did a Friday night gathering out at the Snoqualmie Falls Brewery and a Sat. night gathering at a chinese restaurant that was about 0.75 miles away (a 15min walk). Sam Landsman regaled us with a slide show about his Seattle to Alaska trip on Friday night and Sat. night was nice group dinner/BS session.

Personally, I really liked staying close to the boat show and I had plenty of contact with my C-Brat buddies at dinner and in the bar at the hotel. Others, I'm sure, missed the traditional, longer potlock at the other hotel in Renton. I'm willing to do things either way and I'm willing to take this event on again. But rather than ruffle any feathers, I thought I'd ask the group for opinions.
1) Would you rather stay adjacent to the boat show (where doing a potluck is more difficult, the rooms are more expensive and parking costs a good bit) or would you prefer a hotel that is considerably farther away (where the potluck can be done, the rooms cost less and parking is free)? and
2) Would you rather do the first weekend or the second?

A few notes:
A) Parking at the hotel was around $24/night but it wasn't necessary to pay for parking at the boat show ($12/day) since I could walk.
B) Last year, rooms at the Silver Cloud Inn were $129 for a king room and $139 double queen room plus taxes. I think that compares to around $89-104/room (for larger rooms) in Renton (14 miles from the boat show).
C) I'd prefer to do the second weekend rather than the first. The reason I prefer the second is that some vendors (in particular LFS) sell the remaining stock off cheap on the last Sunday of the boat show. So if the C-Brat gather is the first weekend, I always wind up going back on the last day to catch a few bargains.

NOTE: I have not yet asked Pat or David if they'd be willing to make similar arrangements at the brewery as last year (so that may or may not be possible - but I've had fun there).

So folks, give me your feedback or if you wish, volunteer to run it a completely different way. I'll be happy no matter what and I'm sure I'll find a way to see many of my C-Brat brethren at the show.

Added to Calendar
Signup list
-TyBoo

ddenver

City/Region: Quilcene
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: C-Renity
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for bringing this up so early Roger.

We are open and adaptable to anything the majority of the gang prefer related to the 2014 SBS.

However; saying that - like you - my wife and I both enjoyed staying closer to the boat show. Being closer allowed us to take a bit more time at the show itself and we actually made it out to the "on the water" part of the show at Lake Union for the 1st time in many years.

We really enjoyed last year's Saturday night restaurant gathering as a chance to spend more time together as a group but we regrettably missed the Friday night affair at the Snoqualmie Falls Brewery.

We did miss the intimacy of the former location and spending more time visiting folks in the group meeting room but we also realize everything is a trade off.

Take care,
Dan, Tanya, and Hannah on C-Renity
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roger,

WOW is it that time already, Oh no, you are just planning ahead. Like That.
I agree that the second weekend is better for bargains. This far ahead it should be easier for us to arrange our schedules. Since I missed the hotel stay last year, I can't really compare very accurately. I like the idea of being close to the show, but I also like the closeness and duration of the potluck. If the arrangements with Pat and Dave workout, I think the Friday night get together is super and Sam did another cool trip so that would be high on my list.

Looking forward to however it goes. And thank you for your efforts.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

rogerbum

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI -
1) if the group is amenable, Pat has agree to have us back at the brewery again this year with a similar deal to last year - they cater the food at a reasonable cost and we buy our own drinks at the normal price.

2) Sam has agreed to give us a talk about his circumnavigation of Vancouver Island (Pat and I will make sure he has a microphone this year if we do it at the brewery).
C-Dawg

City/Region: Spanaway
Photos: C-Dawg
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A possible option for accommodations would be to look along the light rail route that runs from SEATAC Airport to Westlake. One of the stops is a block from the SBS; somewhere along the route is surely to be a nearby hotel that would be suitable for a gathering.

C-Dawg sold November 2018
rogerbum

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Dawg wrote:
A possible option for accommodations would be to look along the light rail route that runs from SEATAC Airport to Westlake. One of the stops is a block from the SBS; somewhere along the route is surely to be a nearby hotel that would be suitable for a gathering.

Maybe - I'll look into that. However, when I've taken the train from Seattle to Seatac, I recall going through a lot of neighborhoods that I'm not sure I'd want to walk around it at night.
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:
C-Dawg wrote:

Maybe - I'll look into that. However, when I've taken the train from Seattle to Seatac, I recall going through a lot of neighborhoods that I'm not sure I'd want to walk around it at night.

Roger good buddy now you're talking about MY hood. The one I grew up and live near today (Rainier Valley). As long as you're not walking around on MLK Way late at night, the light rail is fine. But I hear you... Wink

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We love the brewery and Sam plan for Friday.

We'd love to stay close to the show and meet up for dinner somewhere Saturday night.

Yes, we will stay 2 nights this time. Very Happy Beer Beer Laughing

--Cindie

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Half Share

City/Region: Colleyville
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Photos: NAPTIME
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Seattle Boat Show Reply with quote

We would like to join the fun. Preference would be to stay close to the boat show. Second weekend would be our vote.

Martha and Mitch

redbaronace

City/Region: Puget Sound
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: redbaronace (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We live close enough that we would probably not stay at a hotel. I would like to join in a gathering somewhere.

Hopefully the gathering will not be too far from the boat show location so that it is convenient to go from one to the other.

My vote is the 2nd week of the show.
rogerbum

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a bump to gather more opinions. Speak soon or forever hold your tongue. Wink
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to weigh in here. I really liked the hotel last year. Right across the street from the show has a huge benefit to me and Susan. We will not stay at the old hotel due to health concerns we had with them so even if the party is not down town we will be. Mostly it allows me to go to the show and leave Susan at the hotel to visit with out the long ride and shuffling of the cars. parking is more but I'm not paying to park at the show.

Also remember that the train station is just around the corner from the show so if you wanted to leave the car at home you could take the train or the sounder or the bus from as far away as La to B.C. You can also get a cab from the airport or take the light rail into town from the air port. No need for the hassle for the car at all.

Roger and I are both thinking a different restaurant this year that is closer and maybe better. If anyone has any ideas about that I would love to hear them. I don't get down that way enough to know of good places to eat.

I also wanted to tell people about the MOHI which is down on lake union and right next to the boats afloat show. We visited it last week and it is a wonderful building with a lot to see in it. Very good history of Seattle and how it came to be. Did you know that ford had a factory on lake union until the 40's? I didn't. Great place to go and see settle.

beermanPDX

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Photos: Jean Marie
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll cast my vote for a hotel close to the show. I'll be attending this one with the wife and kid. Since I'll undoubtedly want to spend more time at the boat show than they will, the closer the hotel is to the show the better for me.

If more bargains are to be had the second weekend, then I'm all for that. Maybe there will be an extra stock Cutwater 30 they'll be trying to unload for half off. Wink

Rob
2008 25 Cruiser - Sold
2002 Nordic Tug 32/4 - Sold
1989 40 Tollycraft Sport Sedan
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RB wrote:
...C-Brat buddies at dinner and in the bar...

That's good enough for me, wherever it is.

rogerbum

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyBoo wrote:
RB wrote:
...C-Brat buddies at dinner and in the bar...

That's good enough for me, wherever it is.

Me too. BTW -
1) How much trouble do you think we'll get into if we string a zip line from my hotel room to the boat show? and
2) Will you park your boat trailer at the low end of the zip line so we have something to step onto when we get off?
Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: