The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Getting Ready for First Wax Job

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KevinDU

City/Region: Terrace
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Otter
Photos: Sea Otter
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Getting Ready for First Wax Job Reply with quote

I am getting organized for my first wax job. How many bottles of Collonite Fiberglass boat cleaner and how many cans of Collinite's No.885 Special Heavy Duty Fleetwax do I need to wax a C-Dory 22? What else do I need besides a buffer?
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting Ready for First Wax Job Reply with quote

KevinDU wrote:
I am getting organized for my first wax job. How many bottles of Collonite Fiberglass boat cleaner and how many cans of Collinite's No.885 Special Heavy Duty Fleetwax do I need to wax a C-Dory 22? What else do I need besides a buffer?

I just finished buffing and waxing my 22 (which suddenly seemed more like 42!). I can't speak to the cleaner, because I used 3M boat wash (soap), which only took a very tiny amount in a lot of warm water. After I washed the boat, I went around with various solvents/cleaners and spot-cleaned any remaining spots (bugs, tar, stains, etc.), then washed again.

For waxing, I didn't use a buffer, for a couple of reasons. One is that supposedly the buffer generates enough heat in the wax that it doesn't bond as well (or doesn't make as hard a shell, or something like that), and second, it's quite easy to just do by hand. I used one of those ~4" round sponge pads to apply the wax, along with a mister bottle of water (misted the boat, then applied the wax*), and then two microfiber towels to "remove" the wax - one "dirty" first towel and then a "clean" second one to go over the same area in sequence.

I started with a can of Collinite 885 wax that was fairly low (was thinking "Now why did I not pick up a new tin!"), but ended up having plenty, and I put 2-3 coats on many areas. So I'd guess it took about 25% of a tin.

Formula for making waxing the boat seem easy/fun: Buff it first with a three-stage process and a heavy buffing machine... oh my aching hands/arms/shoulders (ears, hair, etc.....)! Waxing was like a walk in the park after that!

It's great having a clean, shiny boat Thumbs Up

So, to summarize what I used for the wash/wax part of the job:

Wash:
warm water
bucket
boat soap
microfiber towels (for washing)
Absorber™ ("chamois" for drying)

Fine tune before re-washing:
denatured alcohol
mineral spirits
naptha
acetone
wetsanding paper (2500 grit)/water
FSR (fiberglass stain remover)
rags
plastic razor blade
disposable gloves
(above used sparingly, as-needed, for bugs, tar, epoxy, butyl, stain, tape residue, etc.)

Wax on/off:
~4" round sponge applicator (Meguiar's brand in this case)
Collinite 885 Fleetwax paste
pump mister for water
microfiber towels
disposable gloves

Sunbeam Hot

*From what I have read, the water/mist technique is only applicable to "traditional" waxes like the Collinite 885, but since I only use the 885, I haven't checked further into that vis-a-vis other waxes.

PS: Couple of other notes:

1) I buffed/waxed right over the black tape trim stripes. Except for one small area that was already damaged, no problem.

2) I found that the C-Dory logos on my boat had developed a somewhat powdery/smeary surface on the black sections (however this did not happen on the vinyl dealer's lettering adjacent to it), so I removed them (heat gun on low, plastic razor blade). I just inquired and C-Dory will sell new ones for $20 a set (not sure if a set is both sides or a one-side-set of black/gold). Or I would think any graphics place could make them.

3) I taped over some areas to protect them when buffing with the machine (window frames, black Trim Lok, etc.). If you wax by hand this probably isn't necessary but I didn't want to veer into them with the powerful machine.
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post Sunbeam! I guess C-Dancer's due for a long overdue waxing.

So are you saying you used a buffer or did not? Because in your instructions below, it sounds like your recommending using one. Sorry, I'm a little confused. Confused

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, sorry. I see where I said I "buffed/waxed right over the black stripes" and that's probably where it got confusing.

1) Buffing
I buffed out the boat after washing but prior to waxing (with compound/polish) and for that I used a buffer - a heavy duty buffer is almost necessary for the job, at least for me.

2) Waxing
For waxing I did it all by hand, and that's the way I would recommend and/or do it again myself. I applied with the ~4" foam pad, and "removed" with microfiber towel/rags.

Hope that clarifies,
Sunbeam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: