View previous topic :: View next topic  
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: MAN OVER BOARD!!!!!! Reply with quote

So a bunch of guys from work planned this crabbing trip. One of my buddies has a "cabin" on Hat Island, so the plan was for us to meet up in Everett yesterday, have lunch and a few beers and go crabbing. Stay overnight on Hat, eat crab/BBQ, let the pots soak, pick them up today and come home. Cool! We had my boat and my buddy's boat, a 22' Sea Spay "Striper". My boat had me plus three guys. His boat had owner and four guys. For some reason we split up along age; our boat was the "mature" boat. All guys in their 40's and 50's. The other boat had the young bucks. I gave everyone on my boat a quick safety briefing prior to departure; location of life vests, extinguishers, man over board sling etc..

So one of the guys on the "young" boat recently had foot surgery and is in a walking boot. So here is where it gets "exciting". After laying our pots we cruise to hook up with them. I'm about 75-100' away and what do I see? The disabled guy STANDING on the gunwale, in his boot, while another buddy "holds" him so he can pee. Well guess what happens....

SPLASH! In goes the buddy w/ the boot on, JD. I see this and first say "SHIT!...followed by "HOLY SHIT!!!!" as I witness everyone on the young boat, except the owner/captain, laughing hysterically and pointing! The owner tries to turn to JD and due to wind/waves nearly lands the bow ON TOP OF him! JD puts his hand up and fends the boat away but it pushes him under, again. Now mind you, no one has even thought to throw something to the guy! A fender..a cushion...NOTHING. They're all laughing holding their beers in their hands.

I yell to the guys on my boat "MAN OVERBOARD!!". I grab the floating cushion that I always have handy and throw it at JD; I miss but it's within reach. HE DOES NOT GRAB IT. By now the other boat threw an identical cushion too and the captain does the same thing again; basically gets too close, the bow comes down on JD. He fends it off as best as possible and goes under....again!

So he's still in the water....but the laughter has now stopped and panic is setting in. JD's head goes under again and I can tell he's having problems keeping on the surface; the boot is not helping, it's cold and I don't know how good a swimmer he is. I yell at the guys on my boat to move the FARK out of my way, grab our Revere "Rescue Max" from the bag and throw it. It's always mounted on our stern rail just in csae. I get it to withing 4' of JD, but again he doesn't grab it! It inflated perfectly and instantly, but I had no room to maneuver our boat in a turn so the line/float would cross him; the other boat was just too close. The other boat finally get it's boat hook out, extends in, turns again and JD grabs it.

It was the topic of the night around the fire. I think the four learned a valuable lesson. Beer is OK, but too much beer can cloud your judgement; not a good thing on the water. He should never have stood up there to pee, especially in his condition. And they admitted the owner had not given them ANY info on safety gear, float cushions etc and all the visitors have no boating experience.

I'm glad the outcome wasn't different. But shows how quickly a fun day on the water can go south....

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And these guys are all cops responsible for public safety?? just asking. Embarassed I feel so much safer now.......
nimrod

City/Region: Mount Vernon
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Berta's Boy
Photos: 'Berta's Boy
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like you said.....HOLY SHIT!

jd
Larry Patrick

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea -Jo
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it ended okay. I remember first openwater dive certification,a guy panicked the boat that tried helping ran right over him but he was pulled out and okay,he quit right there.
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a reason the good Lord invented Pee Buckets, it protects the fools and the uninformed

I'm glad that no one was hurt more than wounded pride.

Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a reason the good Lord invented Pee Buckets, it protects the fools and the uninformed

I'm glad that no one was hurt more than wounded pride.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

was that uninformed or uniformed?
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PFD's on at all times on the water - period. While this event was particularly stupid, there are other unexpected times when one can go over board that are not quite as dumb. Wear that PFD at all times and you've got a MUCH better chance of surviving both the dumb and the not so dumb MOB instances.
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, So glad it did not end in tragedy. Probably the most scary part is not the Darwin award peeing attempt but the utter lack of concern by the other guys on board. Man!
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nimrod wrote:
like you said.....HOLY SHIT!

After we calmed down, I imparted to all how much I was concerned at the time. That water is cold and w/ his injury, it was not a good idea to be "in it". I think they realized the seriousness of the incident. Another buddy of mine, who was on my boat and is also from Hawai'i, is in our dept's marine unit. He told them how he "recovers" bodies from the exact same scenario. "But my pal just fell overboard....." It got quiet for a few minutes.....

colobear wrote:
...the utter lack of concern by the other guys on board. Man!

I know these guys. They are all good people; good cops. Two were in the Marine Corps, including the wet guy. One guy is in our SWAT team and is a medic. I just think it had to do with inexperience, lack of sobriety, wanting to have a "fun" time and the old "it will never happen to me" theory. Remember some cops think they are indestructable. LIke I said, they were all under 35 yrs old. Our boat was the "sober" boat. It was definately a learning lesson for all.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes my blood run cold. We practice MOB regularly. I quiz 1st mates weekly. Some of them think it couldn't happen.

Glad the outcome was OK this time. NOTHING funny about someone going into this damn cold water!

Jim
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a somewhat related category ... during the years I was a Ranger at Lake Mead we had a number of body recoveries (in Many, alcohol was a factor).

In a surprising number of those the victim's 'fly was down when we recovered the body.

...always handy to keep a bucket onboard!

And a PFD!

Best,
Casey&Mary
in Sitka, but onward Tomorrow!

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, a very sobering story. Glad all ended well, hope there was a lesson learned by the "young guys." PFDs should always be worn while on-board, sometimes we may be a little lax, a story like this always serves to reinforce the need to wear PFDs while in the boat on the water. And realize that MOB is no laughing matter...

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Chuckpacific

City/Region: SW PDX
Vessel Name: Big Sky
Photos: Big Sky
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When offering guests PFDs I inevitably hear something like, 'But I'm a strong swimmer...'

My reply is, 'If you go 'in' and you're not wearing a PFD your first priority is keeping afloat (swimming). If you're wearing a PFD you can then go to your next priority (like getting rescued, helping someone else or giving assistance to the situation).'

T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm too old to be doing that stuff......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: