The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Replace electric wiper motor on 16 Cruiser

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Replace electric wiper motor on 16 Cruiser Reply with quote

Hi Everyone --

Been a couple years since I've been on line here! Need some help with Emily Hope ('03 16 Cruiser).

My starboard electric wiper is dead. Boat has been un-used the past year and I think the raccoon that tried to trash the boat (all cleaned up nicely) hit the wiper switch while clambering up on the dash!

The wiper is stuck mid windshield, the rubber is almost gone from the blade and the housing appears to be slightly melted!

From reading notes here this morning it appears this is the AFI 1000 model. As I recall from installation 8 or 9 years ago the starboard wiper uses the short shaft (and the port is mounted upside down and uses the long). Is this correct? Preferred vendor? A note to the factory a few days ago remains unanswered.

I'll try to pull this over the weekend -- but how do I get the wiper arm off the motor? Set screw there somewhere? I'm having trouble finding it here but up under the hood is a PITA to get at.

BTW, the raccoon also "ate" my VHF radio, but that's a simple replacement!

-- Chuck
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recall, the wiper arms are press fit and are just a PITA to remove. As far as vendor, I'd buy it from Fisheries Supply in Seattle but I'm guess that there's a local West Marine (or other vendor) that can get one for you or that has it in stock. I assume that this year's boat will be done while wearing a coon skin hat!
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps this will help
http://www.marinco.com/files/support/config/manuals/AFI%201000%20Instructions.pdf
Does insurance cover raccoon caused damage? Just curious because I had an otter eat our transducer wire once.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: remove wiper arms Reply with quote

I have been trying to remove my wiper arms w/o success.
Saying it is a PITA is exactly right but how do you do it. Mine are up under the cabin roof "eyebrow" and almost impossible to get at.
Is there some kind of release or are they just a pressed on fit??? My plan is to replace my present ones to a pantograph type like on buses.

We are down in C-Brat country today. Drove from Seatac to
Burlington. Today over to Omak and then Wenatchee.
Just seeing how you folks live in the summer time.

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
jerry97230

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C NILE
Photos: C NILE
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i recently pulled one of my wiper arms to check on blade replacement.
The arm is just a pressure fit but the spring on the arm tweaks it a bit which helps keep it on the shaft.
Take the pressure off the arm and keeping the fitting straight, it should pull off.
Jerry C Nile C22
Chuck S

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the fast responses!

Am I correct this is the AFI 1000 with the 1-1/2" long shaft?

I see lots of them on line with 2-1/2" long shafts. I'm probably going to need the entire kit with arm if my impatience gets the best of me. Cool

The raccoon was still in the boat after I trailed her home several miles from the storage yard. I'm not sure who was more startled when I pulled the cover partially off!

$500 deductible insurance only gets me a couple of bucks (wiper + radio).

-- Chuck
Chuck S

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just about finished with the repairs from the raccoon damage... (and sorry to be a pest!).

Just how the heck (really wanted to use a stronger word!) do I get the wiper arm off the motor to replace the fried wiper?

-- Chuck
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck-

I recall a discussion several years ago in that, if the wiper arm could not be removed rather easily, there were two alternatives:

1. If the arm shaft had a swing out of the way cover, exposing the end of the shaft, a puller made for windshield wipers could be used:

http://www.sears.com/otc-windshield-wiper-puller/p-00971054000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&kpid=00971054000P&kispla=00971054000P

2. If all else fails, cut the wiper shaft with a hacksaw or powered cut-off tool ( which is much easier, since the shaft is pretty hard).
You may have to replace the arm in this case, since getting the shaft out of it is getting more and more unlikely.

Wild Blue Jim wrote a humorous account of a "shaft job" at back then, expressing the difficulty and frustration often encountered on this type of operation.

Good Luck!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Chuck S

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

The arm is "press fit" with no fasteners I assume.

-- Chuck
Gene Morris

City/Region: Eureka CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Reef Madness
Photos: Reefmadness
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck, We have replaced 3 wiper motors and yes, it is a PITA. The wiper arm is secured by two very small set screws that are on the top and hard to reach because of the brow of the boat. You will have to pull back the shaft cover and feel for the set screw holes on top. Be sure to put a towel beneath your work area to catch the set screws when you finally get them out. (They will drop and you won't be able to find them.) You may be able to loosen the motor from inside the boat and turn the motor a bit to make it easier to reach the set screws. Find the correct size hex wrench (small). Again, you will have to do this by feel as you can't see the screws. Once the set screws are removed the wiper arm should be able to be pulled off. It might need some prying with a screw driver. It helps to have two people for this project. One in the boat to turn the motor and catch it when the arm is removed and one contortionist laying across the windshield. Small hands, nimble fingers and patience are helpful. Hope this is helpful. PM or call 707-834-4100 if you have any questions. Gene
Chuck S

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the responses! Beer

After pulling and pushing I was able to determine there was a set screw holding the arm to the shaft. Had to work at to get it out -- not much room on the foredeck of a 16 Cruiser. Still couldn't remove the arm even without the set screw.

I have a geared plierwrench with a axillary jaw that can be reversed to press outward and there was just enough room to wedge it between the nut and arm, and squeeze to force the arm off. I'll be greasing the replacement arm!

Replacement wiper "kit" is on the way.

-- Chuck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: