The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

shaft length for electrical wipers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
makushin

City/Region: Juneau, AK
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Becka Dee
Photos: Becka Dee
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: shaft length for electrical wipers Reply with quote

Does anyone know the part number for the AFI electric wiper that the factory installs on the 22CD. I'm not sure if I need the model with 1 1/2" shaft or the 2 1/2" shaft.
makushin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI I talked to factory...it looks like they use the 1 1/2 shaft length AFI 1000 motor for the port and the 2 1/2 shaft length for the starboard.
CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makushin,
Your first post asked about the wiper on a CD22. Did you need info on the 22 or the 16? It just so happens I have my starboard wiper motor off now in the process of relocating to the top of the window. I measured it at 1.5" on the shaft length. I can see no reason why the port side would be any different. I have a 2002 22' cruiser. Maybe something has changed?

makushin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was referring to the 22CD I just moved up to one and I'm selling the 26CD.

That is interesting....my 1995 22CD is using the same holes as the manual ports although I had to drill them out to 5/8". I took a look a a new 2005 22CD and tried to duplicate their work. That is they mount electric wiper on the bottom just below the windos. Since there is not enough clearance on the starboard side due to center console the motor is mounted upside down. The motor must be mounted away from the window to clear the window sill. This is why a longer shaft is needed on the starboard window.

It sounds like your wipers were done differently....are they the AFI 1000? I like the idea of a top mounted wiper. Let me know how it works out.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

makushin-

If you haven't sold your manual wipers, you might think about adding one to the center window. Nice to be able to see out that one too!!!

Because of the electronics shelf above and the package tray below, the electric motor set up won't fit the middle window.

But a manual one mounted om the strut between the center and side window will function if mounted properly, even on an opening center window. See Ken's BC photo album for a photo:

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Blue~C&id=wipe3&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makushin,
I now see what your talking about. Mine are AFI but I can't find a model number on it. If I measure the shaft down into the recess where it goes into the motor I come up with just under 2 inches. On my boat I think they used the same hole that the manual wiper would go through but it was drilled out to 3/4" to give just a little clearance for the 5/8" shaft. The factory used a small starboard shim under the motor to make it level with the window frame. By the way I think Dogondory moved his starboard wiper to the top of the window for the same reason I am. I want to mount a compass on the dash in front of the helm and the wiper in the lower position was causing too much magnetic disturbance. In fact he even commented he might also add a manual wiper just for intermittent use.[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: