The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Raymarine Raydome Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjhantzis

City/Region: Barters Island
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Catleen
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Raymarine Raydome Problem Reply with quote

I've just sent my Raymarine raydome in for diagnosis, it's not transmitting. It has less than 250 hrs of use. The local Raymarine tech told me that he's had a lot of problems with Raymarine and has stopped selling their products because of it. He says Garmin is the best radar-chart plotter value on the market today. Any thoughts?

(I'm running the v4.29 software because the new version will not allow for radar overlay on the chart screen without an external heading sensor. I had no problems last season then when I launched this past April, the radar was gone.)
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No comment on the Raymarine repair, other than to say I've always had good luck with them.

So if you've got a radar that needs a heading sensor to do overlays, don't you get a heading sensor? I've used this Raymarine Fluxgate on a couple of autopilots and it's worked well. The overlay capability is something that sound useful.

Boris
sjhantzis

City/Region: Barters Island
State or Province: ME
Vessel Name: Catleen
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Raymarine v4.29 software uses the GPS input for "heading." It's not always perfectly accurate and there have been law suits backed on inaccuracy so a couple years back all radar-chart manufactures changed software to require external heading sensor input. The GPS has always been "accurate enough" for me and I typically use a radar-overlay on the chart screen, I like it that way.

The new Garmin stuff looks pretty impressive. You can go from iPad to chart plotter and their mobile app, BlueChart, is impressively straight-forward.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had two raymarine radars ans have always had good performance from them. I have also had very good dealings with ra marines warranty and repair shop.Laughing so good in fact that I kicked my self for not send in a auto pilot to them earlier based on not expecting good service. I did not expect tit because I don't expect it from anyone anymore. Twisted Evil

As for the over lay. I am having the same problem but will be installing a heading sensor very soon. I have two sitting in the garage right now. I don't want to go back to the old version because I like the tide and current info that comes with the update. Fing lawyers always screwing things up.

ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Raymar experience is common. Depends on the year. Between 2008 and 2010 in my West Marine store ( and others) we saw an up to 75% failure rate out of the box! Many died shortly after install. New units since FLIR acquired the assets should be fine. Older than '07 are fine too. My own opinion for what is worth is I keep all Raymarine off my boat. I am a BIG Garmin fan. Plug it in and ride. No pushing 8 buttons in proper order to do something. George
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: