View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Radar mount Reply with quote

I've decided on a pedestal mount for radar on my Tomcat. What's the consensus on the necessary degree of down angle on the mount? Any other recommendations for using a pedestal mount?

Thanks

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
westward

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to ride on Matt's coattails with another question: Anyone have experience/ideas/suggestions for a removable radar mount? I would like to install radar, but the height of the dome is too high for my Winter storage space overhead clearance. Perhaps a rail mount? Any advice on quick disconnect lead wires? Thanks to Captain Matt and y'all. Mike.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removing the radar from a mount is pretty simple. If you lift the top/cover, all the connections are either power or signal, no RF. You can just unplug those wires, seal and coil them up, and remove the radar (spelled backwards) dome from the mount. The JRC I have even has some instructions in the manual.

As far as the down angle of the mount, remember that's a wide beam in the vertical angle, plus/minus 15 for the small 2 kw radomes. I mount mine level, and let it go from there. After all, the smallest range is 1/8 mile, and the boat would really be on a steep angle to miss that. If your boat comes up on a steep plane, 5 deg down should do it. In fog I go pretty slow, so the boat doesn't point towards the sky.

Boris
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

west ward. if I was you I would look at a radar arch that could be tilted back 180* or so out of the way. It would be hanging into the cockpit while down. I have seen these before on larger trailable boats. Look around the net and you can find pic of them.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can remove the cables, but you have to open the dome, and remove the ground screw (at least in Furuno). I try and mount the radar so it is low enough, that it does not have to be removed.

I mount my radar level with the cabin on the 25 and TC 255--works fine. As noted the vertical beam is 25 to 30 degrees--even in the worst weather, the radar continues to give a good signal.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
jstates

City/Region: SHELTON
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Endurance
Photos: Endurance
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Height of radar above cabin - safety concerns Reply with quote

I have been thinking about dropping my central pedestal Furuno mount that is about 12 to 14 " tall - to a lower position - so I could put my inflatable sea kayak [upside down-] over it in the middle of the cabin-- Bill and El did something like this. The sea kayak is tied on with straps now just to Port of the radar pedestal - the kayak is a real challenge for a solo mount from the water.

So how low can we mount the radar and not cook the head at the helm?

What is the effective loss of radar range-coverage by mounting it lower"

Any chance the radar will cook the inflatable kayak placed over it?

Thanks

Jim
on
Endurance
westward

C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help on my question. I'm looking at Furuno's smallest separate radar unit, which purportedly has a range of 16NM. It has a 6" monochrome display, which is fine for my purposes. Is this enought/appropriate range and power for a CD22? Mike.
matt_unique

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: All around light Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

In terms of the all around light, I need to decide if I want to keep the post where it is (as built at the aft portion of the cabin roof) or if I want to wire it to a post that extends from the radar pedastal. I would have the radar pedastal mounted at the forward end of the cabin. Suggestions?

I would carry my dinghy on the roof...I suspect there may be enough room between the radar pedastal and the aft all around light post, but I'm not 100% sure. (I have a 6', 2-person dinghy). Certainly lifting the dinghy onto the roof I would need that post out of the way. Would it be difficult to move the light wiring from the aft of the cabin roof to the forward part?

Thanks
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All people in the cabin will be out of any danger zone of a recreational boat Radar.

Lowering the radar a foot or two will make NO significant difference in its range.

I like the 7" Furuno 1715, which is 24 miles and a degree narrower beam, because of the wider antenna--but it is about $300 more.

You should have no problem with plastic or fiberglass canoes/kayaks alongside of the radar. Small metal poles, including masts are not problem either--the antenna, is fairly wide, in comparison--if you get a piece of metal which is close to the width of the radar antenna, is a problem, and should be avoided.
jstates

City/Region: SHELTON
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Endurance
Photos: Endurance
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information on radar placement -

That should save me buying a radar arch.

Jim
sailor-d

State or Province: Other
Photos: Sailor-D
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Pedestal Position Reply with quote

Sort of the same line of inquiry - I am just finishing putting together a "Bob Austin" closet flange special for my Furuno 1715. Is there any compelling reason to have the radome mounted dead centre of the arch? I realize this would put the EBL off a bit. Would one foot off centre really matter?
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many boats mount the radar off center--if you look at the megayachts--many have a radar on each side of the arch. As long as the dome is lined up it will make no difference. (Actually the heading can be adjusted with the menue, and is usually tweeked for the last degree or two with the menue.
matt_unique

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Radar reflector Reply with quote

Part of my interest in all this is to mount my tri-lens radar reflector on the roof. I want to use a pedastal to elevate the radome so I can mount the radar reflector below it. Any specific suggestions relating to this install? Will the radar system work OK if the radome is mounted just higher than the radar reflector?

Thanks
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westward wrote:
Thanks for the help on my question. I'm looking at Furuno's smallest separate radar unit, which purportedly has a range of 16NM. It has a 6" monochrome display, which is fine for my purposes. Is this enought/appropriate range and power for a CD22? Mike.

That is what I have, It works fantastic Mr. Green Beer
Jazzmanic

Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also have the Furuno 1623. Easy to install and works great! I just need to learn how to use it better. Wink

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: