View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grazer

City/Region: Yukon
State or Province: YT
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Horse
Photos: Grazer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Dingy Experience Reply with quote

I am looking at purchasing a small light tender/dingy for the cruiser. Anyone have any experience with WEST MARINE 2013 RU3 Inflatable Dinghy? Is it the same as the RU 260? RU 260 doesn't show up on West Marine's website, has it been replaced or discontinued?

I'm looking for a lightweight, easy to take apart, fairly rugged tender to take the dog ashore or to abandon ship (heaven forbid that from being required).

Grazer
jerry97230

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C NILE
Photos: C NILE
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought a West Marine HD270 inflatable, used but seldom in the water.
I have limited use so far, but I like it and it is not too heavy. I can get 16 mph with a old 5 hp motor if I am the only one aboard.
I packs pretty small, and the inflatable floor is easier to deal with.
Jerry c22
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have an RU-260 and it has been quite satisfactory. Looking at the RU-13 (I think) it appears the only difference is that on mine the rear of the tubes comes to a pointed cone while the new ones are just a slightly rounded.
Sasscom

City/Region: St. Michaels
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: ViewFinder
Photos: ViewFinder
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want something very lightweight but well built, take a look at the Achilles LT-2 or LT-4. Over many years we've owned just about every brand and keep coming back to Achilles. I can easily lift the LT-2 (37 lbs.) over the rail of our TomCat and put it on the roof myself. We have a Suzuki 2.5 4-stroke (30 lbs), and it gets the two of us and our 60 lb. dog to shore easily. For some reason the Achilles plywood floorboards only cover about half the length of the boat, so I simply fabricated two more pieces. Very satisfied with this simple, lightweight setup.
Suzuki 150s
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The both the RU 3 and RU 260 are 8'6" long. The RU 3 beam is 4'7" vs 5'1'. Biggest difference is tube diameter. The RU 3 is 14" the RU 260 is 17". Weight are close and the floor is similar slat. Neither is a true planing boat since they have the soft slat floor, and will develope a "Hump" in the floor as you try and plane. You are best served with a 2 to 4 hp outbaord. If you want to plane consider an inflatable floor.

I agree that the Achillies is a good boat.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Dinghy Experience Reply with quote

My Bombard AX 1 is 3' 9" wide. Fits perfectly between the grab rails on my 22. Easy to drag out of the water and onto the roof with one hand. Easy to pull into the cockpit when changing anchorage. If I was starting again, I would look at the AX 2. Same width but 18" longer.

Martin.
Grazer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the reply's. The Achilles sure does seem like a good boat. What is a LT2 or LT4 worth?
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We love having a dinghy and would never cruise with out it. I has so many other uses then just going to shore.

I like to fish and crab from mine in protected bays. Exploring and viewing wildlife in and around the bays is far easier in a small dinghy with oars then in a bigger boat. We have rowed right up to otters playing and scrambling in the rocky shore lines several times. Far easier to take pictures of birds and other critter from a dinghy. Also great for going visiting from one boat to another in some anchorages.

I was big on having a motor on the dinghy, and I do, but to tell the truth we don't use it a lot now that we have a dinghy with a inflatable floor and keel. The flat floor of our first dinghy was just horrible. Not sure how anyone can stand to owe one once you have rowed a inflatable floor and keel. Its just so much better to row and guides thru the water. I am sure that a hard wood dinghy is even better but not at the weight.

I have no problem getting mine on and off the boat. Its all in the technique and using the boat to your advantage. I cant recall the weight right off the top of my head but its one of the bigger ones.

There was another post on towing a dinghy, and I have a lot in the past, but I don't see a need to when they are so easy to get on and off. We often stop along a shore for a 30 mins so Susan can take the dog for shore duty. I just drop the hook in 10 ft of water or less and toss the dinghy over. When she gets back I just put it back on top and pull anchor. its fast and easy and just as much time as towing I think. I cant fish with the dinghy towed so its better to be on top.

Sasscom

City/Region: St. Michaels
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: ViewFinder
Photos: ViewFinder
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With tax and fees (thanks, Maryland) the LT-2 cost me close to $900 from a local, servicing retailer. I could have saved a few bucks online, but I like dealing with an authorized Achilles dealer in case I have problems or need service. The LT-4 is a couple hundred more, I believe. One word of caution, however. There is a real trade off between light weight and stability. We chose to go the light weight route because of my bad back and the fact that I like being able to go out on my TomCat by myself once in a while to shoot photos. Being able to manhandle the dinghy on and off the roof without any stress or strain is worth it to me. But it is a bit skittish and I have to be careful to balance my weight. I weigh 190 lbs, and if I sit on the very rear with the Suzuki in place, the inflated tube gets close to going under. But it does the job in getting me around, and it can handle two of us plus our dog. The LT-4 is a foot longer and a bit wider. It may have been a better choice, if my back wasn't so fragile at the moment.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"...a dinghy with a inflatable floor and keel..."

This is a "must" have, IMO. I've used dinghies w/ cloth floors, wood floors, aluminum floors and the inflatable is the way to go. It's solid yet gives and is safer to stand on, which is the main reason I like it. I doubt the "keel" makes any difference in our use as our 2.5 doesn't have the real power to make it plane; a 4 horse might, though it's heavier so I wouldn't do it.

We use it as Tom said above; sometimes we just go for a "ride" and see what's around.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The inflatable "keel" just gives a bit of a "V" to the bottom. We have a 3.5 hp Merc 2 stroke which weighs the same as the Suzuki 2.5 and it will plane our inflatble floor/keel boat with one person--if I sit way forward (PVC pipe as tiller extension for the outboard).
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The keel is what give the boat direction and less drag when paddling. its what makes rowing the boat so much easier then the non keel or flat floors. I am not worried about using a motor or even planing when I do. I want to make rowing as easy and as efficient as I can and having a inflatable floor is a must. I would not have thought so before I rowed both types so if you are thinking its not worth it you are wrong based on a lack of experience. Wink
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've laid down in the boat trying to get it to "plane" w/ the 2.5. I would not call it "planing", even at full throttle. It never rises out of the water and I'm pushing 196 lbs. But I don't care, well about the non-planing; the lbs....that's another story. Wink
Grazer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I haven't got a dingy yet, and now have yet another thought... a Walker Bay 8 rigid hull boat. These high density injected molded plastic boats are 71 lbs, and never get a hole like inflatables. 10 year warranty seems like they may fairly durable. They accept a motor albeit a short shaft small 2 hp motor. One down side is that they are rated for 2 people and only 425 lb capacity. Anyone have one of these? What are they like?
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Dinghy Experience Reply with quote

Plenty of folks in my yacht club have Walker Bay's, I have not heard a bad word against them. Of concern to me would be getting 71lbs on and off the roof.

Martin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Dinghys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: