The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Boat Names
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anne-B

City/Region: Suburban Philadelphia
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 1992
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: ANNE-B
Photos: ANNE-B
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Boat Names Reply with quote

Thought it might be interesting to start a thread about how you came up with the name on your boat.
Ours was easy, name it after your wife. I have seen that many times, but there are a lot of amusing names out there.
At the eastern shore gathering we noticed quite a variety.
Several of the girls thought it would be fun to find out how the names came about.

Anne Baxter

Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youngest daughters name is Leigh. Oldest granddaughters name is Anna Leigh. Now I have a second granddaughter so I guess the dingy (ordering it tomorrow) will be Alyssa Jean.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaDNA is a play on cDNA which stands for copy or complimentary DNA. cDNA is a type of DNA that is made in the lab from RNA. Since many C-Dory's start their name with "C", I had to be different and use "Sea". Also, I would like to think that the "Sea is in my DNA" now that I have a nice boat on which to visit it.

Geek/Nerd speak to follow:
In nature, RNA is usually made from DNA and is an intermediate between the genes (on the DNA) and the protein form of the genes. That is DNA is copied into RNA and RNA is translated into protiens (which do all the chemistry in the cell). Essentially, all cells contain the same DNA but different types of cells "turn on" different genes. One way of controlling which genes are on is to make (or not make) the RNA from a given gene. Hence, it you want to know what genes are turned on and off in a given type of cell, it is useful to measure which RNA's are being made.

RNA is inherently unstable and rapidly degrades (like a Bayliner) where as DNA is stable and lasts a very long time (like a C-Dory). A special type of virus (called a retro virus) exists as RNA and makes an enzyme called "reverse transcriptase" that converts RNA to DNA. We use this enzyme to make cDNA from RNA to create a stable sample that we can query to discover which genes are turned on and off in which kind of cells.

So that's the story of SeaDNA....

Roger on the SeaDNA

Little Catelyn

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Little Catelyn
Photos: Little Catelyn
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should ask about boat names, as I am about ready to order lettering from Speedy Signs --- just had them send some color samples.

Now, about that name. My mother always liked her middle name and wished she had had that for her first name instead. My sister always had a name she would have preferred also. And Lynn always wished she had been named Catelyn. One day I called her 'Little Catelyn' and I haven't heard the end of it since; now it's, "Honey, call me Little Catelyn." A few weeks after I ordered the boat she asked what I thought I would name her, and I immediately replied, "Little Catelyn." She had a huge smile on her face, so 'Little Catelyn' it is. Besides, what could I do about it now?

The only problem I have is that nobody can agree on the spelling. Rolling Eyes

Any thoughts on using both outline AND shadow effects with boat lettering? Too much?

Corwin
Aiviq

City/Region: Juba
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Aiviq
Photos: Aiviq
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people have a hard time with Aiviq, because it's not an English word. First, it's spelled AIVIQ. Lots of people try to put an L in there, or end it with a G. I suppose it could be hard to pronounce, too. It's pronounced like A Vick. In fact, when I first heard the word, I thought it was spelled with a K at the end like Avik, but I looked it up in an Inupiaq dictionary and found the right spelling.

I used to live in Kotzebue Alaska many many years ago, which is an Inupiat (Eskimo) town in Northwestern Alaska. I was a nurse at the Indian health Service hospital there, and since English is a second language to most Inupiats, I picked up a few words of the local language. Most of them were medical in nature, but I didn't really want to name my boat something like Nuviq (mucous). Fortunately, I picked up some non-medical words, too. I discovered the Inupiaq word for walrus when I hit (a dead) one while landing my plane on a beach north of Kotzebue. It's Aiviq, of course. I thought it was a cool name for a boat, and filed it away for future use. I know it confuses people, but I like it.

Jim
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf, of course, comes from Jack London's novel and is named in honor of him. While living in the San Francisco Bay Area for 38 years, I became familiar with his personal history in Oakland, Sonoma County, and of course, on the road in Alaska.

His writings are from an earlier, simpler time, and about man's struggle with nature and the inevitable outcomes. Sea Wolf was and is a fitting name for a boat that teaches a man humility. Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
russoboat

City/Region: Southampton, NY
State or Province: NY
Vessel Name: Porgy Man
Photos: Porgy Man
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Boat Names Reply with quote

Porgy-Man comes from the fish I love to catch, a Porgy is same as scup or spot in the south. I love to fish and since most the time I bring in between 20-50 of these fish what else.

I did ask my family to give me names:
wife - For Sale
daughter - Papa Bear
Son - Low Tide II (wife name the first boat said that
everything that washed on shore my
family eat)

Other members of family also gave me names but this is a family site so I won't print them.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife is actually responsible for our name, in picking it, we pondered long and hard. She finally said "Well, you were a Capitan in the navy and you're the Captain of this C-Dory (she's the Admiral) so it's your choice.

Thus, "CAPTAIN'S CHOICE".

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie, like most of us I have an Admiral too, but she comes from a commercial fishing family and already had two boats named after her. The "Mary B" and the "Mary Ann". The former, a commercial longliner, the latter a recreational boat.

The "Jenny B" is named after my mother, who is the reason behind our shift from RV'ing back to boating. Thumbs Up Yup, she's still around to appreciate it - closing in on 90 this year.

Mary and Don
Levity

City/Region: Shippensburg
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Levity
Photos: Levity
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Levity was chosen as our C-Dory name as we wanted to endow the boat with the concept of lighthearted fun. We found a definition of levity which included the descriptors; "buoyancy in speech or manner". We felt this was a good match to our concepts and liked the flexibility of buoyancy to cover the ideal and the physical aspects of boating.
Mike 'Levity'
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After kicking around about a hundred names we came back to the "Susan E" for my wife. My idea, not hers. E is her last and middle initial. I wish her middle name was "Marie" but her father named her "Eugenia" not a good boat name. My family had a 27ft Chris craft on the Chesapeake Bay in the 70s called the Nora k after my mom. So this being the first boat big enough to name I wanted to continue the tradition. We had that boat on the last marina on the middle river in Essex. I was wandering if it is still there. I can’t remember the name of the marina.
Not For Hire

City/Region: Cadillac, MI
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Not For Hire
Photos: Not For Hire
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The story that Mark Twain once told of wanting to earn enough money so that he would no longer need to work. Not that he would not work, he just did not want to “need” to work. He would buy a riverboat and pilot the boat up and down the Mississippi river. He would call the riverboat the "Not For Hire" to let everyone who travelled on her know that he was doing this out of enjoyment and not because it was (just) a job.

Sam Clemens and a fictional riverboat called “Not For Hire” were also featured characters (the stars in my opinion) in the “Riverworld” series of science fiction novels by Phillip Jose Farmer. Great reads but maybe the later books don’t live up to the first.

I'm still workin', but not when I'm on board! Thumbs Up

Chuckpacific

City/Region: SW PDX
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Big Sky
Photos: Big Sky
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bought our CD-22 at Sportcraft in Oregon City with no name in mind. Our first cruise was to downtown Portland. Tied up at one of the grain terminals was a 500 footer named "Steve" with Panamanian registry. We laughed about the name but then realized that our C-Dory would always have a huge "tude" so decided it needed a huge name just like the big boys.
416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna's ancestors came from Ireland and mine from Scotland. We are heavily into traditional Celtic music. "Foggy Dew" is one of our favorite Irish songs. It tells the story of the Easter uprising. It's just a great song and we kept returning to it when thinking of a name. Now we just have to get that CD.

At last...home for good in the Great Northwest!

2001 22 Cruiser "Foggy Dew" 2006-2013
Knotty C

City/Region: Vancouver, WA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Knotty C
Photos: Knotty C
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We went through a lot of names trying to decide on one that fit our boat. Names that were high on the list are Freedom's Dream, Current C, C Breeze and Yacht C.

Don's Dad was a Chief Bosun's Mate in the Coast Guard during WWII and he specialized in tying knots. We are both in Search & Rescue and also tie knots in our ropes rescues so one day when Don was practicing tying a knot, he came up with the name Knotty C.

In an effort to make sure our name would be well received, I did market analysis by having the students in the college class I teach vote on the two names Yacht C and Knotty C and also tell me what it made them think of. One of the answers I got from the students was "It makes me think some old WWII veteran is going to run me over in his fishing boat." And that was before I told them ANYTHING about our boat or the reasons for the names. We both got a kick out of that.

Before telling them the results, I showed them a picture of the boat and they instantly knew that the name we picked was Knotty C.

Corwin, our letters are on their way at this moment. We went with both black outline AND shadow on gold letters. I hope they look good. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: