The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Power Trailer Dolly
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Half Share

City/Region: Colleyville
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Photos: NAPTIME
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Power Trailer Dolly Reply with quote

Does anyone have experience with a powered trailer dolly? Either the electric or battery powered ones. I saw some old posts from 05 on the forum but thought there may be more recent experiences.

The two I am looking at are the Parkit 360 and the Powermover

http://www.parkit360.ca/

http://powermoverinc.net/

It appears the Parkit 360 hooks up to the trailer ball and some reviews questioned its stability.

Thanks

Mitch

Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I returned from a cruise to pick up my stored (triple axle) trailer, I found it was in a position where I could not reach it with the Chevvy and it was way too heavy to lift and pull by hand. Yard owner brought out his lawn tractor fitted with a ball hitch and solved the problem.
Jus' sayin"

M

jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a power caster. I tried using it with a ball and it tends to be way to tippy and can get you in some bad situations. I have a SS coupling welded to a piece of flat stock that is bolted to the bottom of the tongue. Then a post that screws to that coupling and fits the socket on the power caster. Much better this way it is ridgid and can't tip over. My shop is a 90 degree turn and across the backyard. You couldn't get it there without the mover.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?full=1&set_albumName=Voyager-General-Pictures&id=IMG_1248&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Can't get the picture to show up on the iPad . The link works.

Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell us a little more about your needs - where the trailer needs to go, grade, surface, obstacles etc. I've found all of these come in to play, and some solutions work much better than others given your particular environment.

I've become somewhat adept at moving trailers around my property...I've got 5 of them, including two with boats atop. They all go in/out of tight places routinely. My tools of the trade:

- Front mounted hitch. Much more maneuverable than a rear mount hitch, but not always the best when trying to squeeze something into a garage corner.

- Ball hitch on back of tractor's 3-point. It's very fast to hook up (can do it from the seat), as maneuverable as the front mount hitch on the truck, and gives me the ability to place trailers where I can't/won't drive my truck. Certainly not an option for everyone, but for those who have one - just do it. You'll never use your vehicle's front or rear hitch around the house again.

- Electric trailer dolly. By far the most maneuverable, but it's slow and is limited to flat/smooth ground. It will usually work across level and groomed gravel, but not always - any small obstacle a trailer tire encounters can hang it up. It's ideal for asphalt/concrete - nothing better. Also, I wouldn't go with one that has a ball mount. Those with their own adaptors (Powercaster and Powermover) are much easier to attach, more stable, and maneuver more easily given that they mount back of the ball.

- Manual trailer dolly. I actually use this one a lot on concrete for smaller trailers. Works nicely with my 16 and 5x8 trailer, but too small for anything bigger/heavier.

Half Share

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be on concrete without any lips or uneven spots. It is almost flat with a very slight slope in one spot.

I thought about the hitch on the front of the truck but do not have enough turning room. The farm tractor would be perfect but it is 3hours away.

I do not have a use for a garden tractor but that raised the idea of using a 4wheeler. It would require raising the hitch but I would think you would need to do that with a garden tractor

Has anyone used a 4 wheeler to move their boat.

It is a 26 foot cape cruiser.

Thanks

Mitch
digger

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Sik
Photos: Snoopy-C
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a power mover for several years and use it often. The trailer has a cylinder mounted on plates that are permanently bolted to the trailer. The mover has a solid metal 2 1/2 inch round stock that slides into the trailer cylinder. That way the mover will not tip over. Much better than a trailer ball hitch arrangement. It is slow but very manageable and maneuverable. Well worth the investment. Ron
Da Nag

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Half Share wrote:
It will be on concrete without any lips or uneven spots. It is almost flat with a very slight slope in one spot.

Powercaster or Powermover would be my choice. You'll be able to put it anywhere you want with ease.

Half Share wrote:
Has anyone used a 4 wheeler to move their boat.

You mean a quad? Personally, I'd not use one given the tongue weight involved. Maybe on a 16, but for a 22 or larger - I'd be concerned with damaging the quad. Regardless, even if that's not a concern - it won't maneuver anywhere near as well as an electric dolly.

The beauty of an electric dolly, is the ability to change the direction of push/pull within 180 degrees instantly, without disconnecting anything. Pushing directly from either side, you can easily pivot the trailer on its wheels - even if it's a tandem. No tow vehicle can do this.
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried it with a 3 wheeler once it was to much weight for the tires and I couldn't steer. My Razor says it can tow 1200 lbs. and that means 120 lbs. tongue weight. The Powercaster is great wish I would have bought the dual wheel one when I did. The one I bought works just fine the only time I had trouble was when I was moving across grass. I just had to put some boards down.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think these are worth a look for trailer moving needs. The price is much less than most electric and no wiring is required plus it lives on the trailer so you always have it with you.

http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Accessories/Trailer-Valet/STC-V211.html

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Da Nag

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurelia wrote:
...plus it lives on the trailer so you always have it with you.

Man...I'd be very leery about getting one of those. Seems to me, being permanently attached is a major design defect - at least for a boat trailer.

One or two dips in the saltwater, and I'll bet its days would be numbered.
Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall ever having a jack go in the water while launching a boat. My current toy gets dunked to the top of the fenders but the jack is always dry. Also this model, like many, swivels so that the "works" could ride above the tounge while the trailer is in motion and during launching duty.
My IRA

City/Region: Springfield
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Aidiam
Photos: My IRA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a Power Mover (a 4 wheeled model-1/2 HP Dayton Motor) that we've used with various boats and trailers for the past 10 years. Ours is a good unit, no problems, frame mount socket. The unit seems to move about anything that one can attach it to (our largest load was about 10,000 lbs.).

Power Boat Reports compared Power Caster and Power Mover a few years back, and both got good reviews. Ball mounts work well with small boats/trailres but as mentioned above lack stability with larger loads and heavier tongue weights.

1992 C-Dory 22 Cruiser sold 8/96
1992 OLympic 26XLF Sold 10/2000
1989 Arima 19 SR sold 2003
2004 C-Dory 25 sold 10/05
1992 Bounty 25 Offshore Pilot sold 6/2010
2006 Arima 17 SC sold 9/2012
2013 C-Dory 23 Venture
Half Share

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for everyone's input. I am leaning toward the Powermover. Need to contact them on a couple of issues and see how it goes.
Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered a Trailer Valet hand crank powered jack. I figured out that the jack assembly attaches to the trailer bracket with a simple pin like a ball insert to hitch so I can just take it off the trailer and store it indoors or even in the tow vehicle if I feel it gets in the way or is weathering while stored.

I will fill you all in on how it goes after I have some chances to use it.

Greg
cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using a front mounted hitch on my truck to get my triple axled trailer into my driveway, i live on a very narrow street. Works great. Just saying.

07' Tomcat 255 "Kanaloa"
87' Boston Whaler Guardian 17 (BlackFlag, 03-14)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: