The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

blue sea systems new product. DC voltage/current meter
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CDory23

State or Province: CA
Photos: CDory23
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: blue sea systems new product. DC voltage/current meter Reply with quote

I have been needing to get a bettery monitor, and saw this a while back. It is now finally available but on the $$$$ side. I do like that it also measures the current of the selected battery as well. What are others using? Is this worth the $320 or is there a less expensive option that is similar quality/features.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/1830/M2_DC_SoC_Monitor
bcassal

City/Region: BLoomington
State or Province: IN
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Carpy
Photos: Carpy
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A number of C-Brats, myself included, have been using this monitor with success.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=51924#

Carpy
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all familiar with that one, but the Victron BVM700 was suggested to me last year, and that's what I installed on my Nordic. It's widely used and well regarded.

It's almost half the price, easy to use/install, and I can't imagine what else anyone would want out of a battery monitor.

On edit: Carpy beat me to it. Same unit.

CDory23

State or Province: CA
Photos: CDory23
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. The 702 model should fit my needs and save me $100. Nice to know its reliable.

I couldn't find the dimensions on it. Does anybody have them? I assume it mounts as it looks in the picture so I"m just looking for a diameter.
Da Nag

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the 702 will do two banks, I chose to save the $$ and go with the 700.

Many folks - myself included - don't need to closely monitor the starting bank. The house bank is the one that changes routinely, and knowing how long you have or how replenished it is are routine functions.

The theory being, that the starting bank rarely has an issue, and if it suffers an unexpected failure - you can still use the house bank to get going.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a combination of the Victron monitor (700 in my case, but in retrospect I would have bought the 702 for the temp. monitor function to increase accuracy), and a Smart Gauge.

I like the Victron for seeing amps/watts in and out, and secondarily for SOC percentage (although it has some limitations), and the Smart Gauge is used purely for SOC percentage (accurate, even as batteries age). The SG has no shunt, but is wired directly to the battery terminals. It uses "jillions" of voltage readings plus algorithm to determine SOC.

The Victron face is around 2-1/2" in diameter. IIRC the hole is juuuust over 2" (is metric). I filed a bit after using the hole saw. There is also a square bezel you can use which goes outside the round one.
Da Nag

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And...I'm pretty sure it's a standard 2" gauge.

Can't measure mine right now, but it dropped right into the hole vacated by my VDO ammeter. The specs state the body is 2.0", the bezel 2.7".

http://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-BMV-700-series-EN.pdf

On edit: I think that 2.7" bezel is the square one Sunbeam mentions. The other spec mentioned as "front" is 63mm/2.48".
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to see if you can find the Victron 600 or 602 around. These were going for about $100 when the 700 series came out. Maybe there are a few stillmout there. eBay might be a good place to start. It'll do what you want just as well as the 700 series. Our boats aren' that complicated.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I happen to have the Link 10 which does about the same thing--again if you can find one for the bargain price, go for it, but in not one of the Victrons.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a Victron 700 for sale on eBay right now for $149.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Victron-Energy-Precision-Battery-Monitor-BMV-700S-Retail-186-00-/221803665057?hash=item33a48756a1&vxp=mtr
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a good price, if you are confident buying stuff off eBay!

I have the Victron 700. I would not be without it, since I run a freezer and recharge with solar panels. It is very reassuring to know exactly where your house batteries are after sitting a week at Oak Canyon at Lake Powell!

It was very easy to install. I bought mine directly from Microtech Electronics, the U.S. distributor, which happens to be located in Ferndale, WA. They don't usually sell retail, but they said they would sell me one. I think I paid $180. They also made me up the short heavy cable required to install the shunt, and extra short heavy cables to connect the two house batteries properly.

ssobol wrote:
There's a Victron 700 for sale on eBay right now for $149.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Victron-Energy-Precision-Battery-Monitor-BMV-700S-Retail-186-00-/221803665057?hash=item33a48756a1&vxp=mtr

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Blue Sea Systems vessel system monitor VSM 422.
For about $100. more than the M2, it monitors AC, DC,
3 tanks (water, fuel, waste) and bilge.

If you wanna know whats goin'on, why not look at everything?
OK, you're gonna have to keep your eye on your booze locker.

Aye.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foggy wrote:
I have Blue Sea Systems vessel system monitor VSM 422.
For about $100. more than the M2, it monitors AC, DC,
3 tanks (water, fuel, waste) and bilge..

Great system, but the price of $399 is slightly misleading, since you have to buy sensors for fuel, waste, holding, bilge, and battery temp. Most of these cost about $90, so a complete system would come in closer to $ 700 plus.

For the 22, there is no holding, the bilge is visible, and the water tank has a clear plastic tube to show the water level. (Battery temp is only $15, but is easy to monitor), So it depends on the boat. I would see the level monitors to be much more important in larger boats. A good idea however.
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: battery monitor Reply with quote

I haven't decided on one yet, but the Balmar unit is apparently the only one that gets more accurate with aging batteries, and doesn't require a shunt + extra heavy cables. Intriguing but not the cheapest.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/balmar--smartgauge-battery-monitor--16030900

Westmarine has had a 15% off sitewide online sale the past 2 black Fridays, maybe then...

I changed out the 3 bank weak Guest charger for the Blue Seas P12 40 amp with the unique ability to drop individual charged batteries out prior to float stage . This is great since my House battery gets FAR more discharged than either engine AGM on any of our outings. They make solid, (5 yr warranty) well engineered stuff with responsive US tech support. I hope that continues although they + Marinco + Guest + MasterVolt have all been bought out by the same company.
I'll give away the 2010 Guest 2632A 5,5,20A for free (you pay shipping, send me a PM, it's a heavy potted waterproof mutha), but 5A is just not appropriate for a big AGM IMHO. Not to hijack a monitor thread. What do you Brats think of the Balmar?
Cheers!
John

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Balmar SmartGauge and love it. I also have a coulomb counter style gauge (Victron 600/700) and like that too, but mostly I use the Victron to see what's going in and out. I do calibrate as well as I can for the SOC on the Victron, but that's only secondary. What I got the SmartGauge for was the very accurate SOC.

I'm not sure which I'd pick if I could only have one. Probably the Smart Gauge now that I know what all of my stuff draws (thanks to the Victron). Luckily with the cost of batteries I was able to justify both (and just cause I like having them). Actually, I don't have the SG on the boat yet, just the Victron, but then I only have one house battery on the boat, and I know it's going to need replacing reasonably soon anyway. When I do that, I'll likely go to two house batteries, and then add a Smart Gauge, since I'll have more to watch/protect.

I also have an RV, and in that I have a three AGM house bank -- and I don't want to have to replace that anytime soon ($$), so there I have the Smart Gauge, and the Victron 700. Both together were barely more than the cost of one of the batteries. Also, I rely mostly on solar power for the RV, so I like to know just where I'm at, SOC wise.

Probably not everyone's cup of tea the way I have things set up, but I like it. I would (and will) buy the Smart Gauge again (for the C-Dory when I upgrade the house bank).

It's also very easy to set up, since there is not shunt or etc. Not that a shunt is "hard," but it does have to be wired in properly. I will say the Victron is about a hundred times better looking. The SG is rather ugly and has membrane switches that you practically have to lean on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: