The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

07/12 - 07/15 - James River Trip 2013
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: 07/12 - 07/15 - James River Trip 2013
From 12 Jul 2013 to 15 Jul 2013 (included)

Several C-Brats have shown interest in taking a trip on the James River in Virginia. As promised, I found my notes from previous research and am posting the info so we can start planning.
Starting from the mouth and heading towards Richmond...
* Bennett's Creek Marina 757-484-8700, is in Suffolk on Bennett's Creek and has a ramp and parking for your rig. It does not have gas, or showers, but does have a restaurant.
www.bennettscreekmarina.com
* Smithfield Station 877-703-7701, is in Smithfield on the Pagan River and has a marina, restaurant and lodge / hotel, but does not have gas.
www.smithfieldstation.com
* River Rest Marina & Resort 804-829-2753, is on the Chickahominy River (10 miles off the James) and has a hotel, marina, bathhouse, gas and a pool.
www.riverrest.com
*Jordon Point Marina 804-458-3398 or 804-458-0065, is on the James at Jordon Point in Hopewell. It does have gas, snack bar, grill, pool, showers and there is a restaurant about 1/2 mile from the marina.
www.jordonpoint.com
* Rocketts Landing Marina 804-222-6771, is near Downtown Richmond on the James and is fairly new. They have floating docks, bathhouse, fuel and several restaurants.
http://www.rockettsvillage.com/boating

Please chime in to your thoughts for taking the trip, when we should take the trip and the stopping points.

Added to Calendar
Signup list
-TyBoo

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
Webminer2

City/Region: Charlotte
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Sweet C"
Photos: Quiet Time
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: James river trip Reply with quote

I'm interested, need to know more, when & where. Would love to cruise with other c-dory owners . I am new to c-dory but 60 years in boating.
Webminer2
16' cruiser
"Quiet time"
Charlotte, NC
Sea Angel

City/Region: Virginia Beach, VA
Photos: Sea Angel
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,
Thanks for the info.

I would love to take Sea Angel on this cruise.

I have been to Smithfield and it has some very interesting old homes near the marina and some interesting shops in town.
Dave, there is even a nice little ice cream shop within walking distance, in town. The marina is nice clean and comfortable and as is the restaurant.

Hopewell is an beautiful and easy river run, gas stop.

Art

CBRAT #208
2005 CD25 #075 SEA ANGEL (SOLD)
USCGAUX (RET), USN(RET)
Broadcast TV ENG(RET)
ka1rx@verizon.net
stclairgal

City/Region: St Clair Shores
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dragonfly
Photos: Dragonfly
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: James River Cruise Reply with quote

Great idea, Steve! We would be interested, for sure.
July 4-7 would work best for us, but I imagine most other C-Brats have family plans.
Joyce and Wolfgang

Rcbeach

City/Region: Ocean Pines
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: DreamChaser
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

Suzanne and I are interested. What dates are you thinking about?

Dick
Pandy Girl

City/Region: Westfield, NC
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Pandy Girl
Photos: Pandy Girl
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, That looks great to us Pandy Girl is very interested. After the first week of July
Munchkin

City/Region: Washington
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: Munchkin
Photos: Munchkin
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: James River trip Reply with quote

Steve,

Ernie and I would love to tag along for this trip. What dates are we talking about? You know I still have to do the working thing so I need to start the plan

Erma
Munchkin

Sea Angel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve;

A little planning thought for a departing time/date.

IF my homework is correct-
From Sewell's Point to Smithfield
there is abt 1:40 avg. time difference between the low tides

From Sewell's Point to Richmond Locks
there is abt 4:40 avg. difference

Specific date data can be had easy enough from NOAA & other sites. I could not cut & paste them here, but can in an e-mail.

My thoughts were to leave at such a time as to ride the tidal flow north by starting at or just after low tide in our area and return by leaving at high tide from Richmond.

From my marina to Smithfield is abt 4 hrs or abt 40 nms- FYI I think Richmond is abt 90nm from the MMBT. I have not done a proper plot as yet.

A join-up point could be at the MMBT to cover various arrivals or the NN Channel, day marker R"10" area. From there it is a very short run to Smithfield where all can get organized and set a plan for the run north. (Else, make it as a return stop, or both.)

Folks could refuel/top-off at Bennet's Creek, if there is enough water there. I have never been into Bennet's Creek.

I see Smithfield Station and Rockett Village, Richmond as 2 of the primary stops.

Jordon Point seems to be a good mid point for fuel if folks can't make the haul to Richmond.

I think [as an EXAMPLE] if we were to leave Sewell's Point area on 15 July, using the tides, at abt 0830 we could arrive in Richmond at the 1650 high tide;IF, I did the work right, to gain some economy, etc.. After all the idea is to see the river, not race up and down it.

Maybe some one can jump in with other ideas.

It could be that the use of the tidal flow is not very important for the time frame needed.

Art
Sea Angel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

A small summary-
I just finished checking the LNM and it seems that Rocketts Landing is the site of heavy activity on 22 (0850 to 1700) & 23 June (0700 to 0830).

There will be a swim at the James River Ferry Pier from 0630 to 0900 on 23 June.

On 29 June there will be a Poker Run going on from 1000 to 1700 from abt Waterside to Gatling Pt Yacht Club in Smithfield down to Marina Shores area and Hampton.

I would be good to check the LNM to keep out the traffic areas, if possible.
I don't see anything for July, yet.

Art
srbaum

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Possible James River Trip Additional Info Reply with quote

Thanks for all those that have interest.
Taking a look at places to moor that might be suitable and also have gas, as well as amenities you might like to have, listed below are some possible alternatives. The James is long and wind could be a factor as far a speed and without taking into consideration tide flow, I figure we could make at least 12 knots to the good (14 kts if weather/wind are in our favor). We need to skip the 4th of July, as mooring will be difficult for more than 2 or 3 boats.

Alternative 1 (entire James River):
Smithfield Station (1st night), (14 nm from MMBT).
River Rest Marina on the Chickahominy (2nd night), (30 nm from Smithfield).
Rocketts Landing Marina (3rd night), (49 nm from Chickahominy).
Jamestown Yacht Basin (4th night), (55 nm from Rocketts).

Alternative 2 (Part of the James):
River Rest Marina on the Chickahominy (2nd night), (30 nm from Smithfield).
Hopewell Marina (3rd night), (25 nm from Chickahominy).
Jamestown Marina (4th night), (30 nm from Hopewell).

Alternative 3 (even less of the James):
River Rest Marina on the Chickahominy (2nd night), (30 nm from Smithfield)

Again, these are just suggestions... Folks are welcome to leave their rigs at my house and also locals could moor at my dock as well. Other thoughts are that you could pre-stage your rigs in Richmond and just do the entire trip one way. Check your calendars for a sailing date of around July 12th.
Notes:
MMBT is the Monitor Merrimack Bridge Tunnel.
Gas is not available at the marina in Hopewell, but is available at Jordan Point.

Best regards,
Joan & Steve Baum
Pandy Girl

City/Region: Westfield, NC
Vessel Name: Pandy Girl
Photos: Pandy Girl
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve, I like #1 it is not going to take that much longer to see the entire River, Do it slow enough to see things. My thoughts when we Drive several miles to Boat or RV, it don't cost much more to stay a few more days once you get there. This is my thoughts only. We will try to make it what ever is decided on. July 12 is good or we could still make it a few week later just let us know it is hard to set a date that will be good for everyone, we are flexible in July Jim
srbaum

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Possible James River Trip Feedback Reply with quote

PANDY GIRL,
Thanks for your feedback. This trip has enough options that folks could just do part of it if they wish. I will call the perspective marinas and validate slip availability. If they give a thumbs up, I'll ask Tyboo to post the function under event signups.
Best regards,
Steve Baum
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible James River Trip Feedback Reply with quote

srbaum wrote:
I'll ask Tyboo to post the function under event signups.

...and he will happily oblige. Have fun!

srbaum

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: TyBoo's Help Appreciated Reply with quote

TyBoo,
Thanks for taking quick action to post this trip.
Best regards,
Steve Baum
srbaum

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: James River Trip Info Reply with quote

An update on marina info for the trip.

1. 7/12/13 Smithfield Station Marina. Please call Joann for reservations at 877-703-7701. Let her know that you are with the C-Dory group. Slip fee is $2 per foot. The have a very nice hotel, restaurant and pool. http://www.smithfieldstation.com/marina.html If we want gas we will need to buy it from the marina at the mouth of the creek (Brown's Marina).
2. 7/13/13 River Rest Marina. Please call Alton for reservations at 804-829-2753. Let him know that you are with the C-Cory group. Slip fee is $2 per foot. They have a restaurant, pool, hotel and gas. http://www.riversrest.com/
3. 7/14/13 Rocketts Landing. Please call Susan for reservations 804-222-3555 or email at marina@rockettsvillage.com . Please let her know that you are with the C-Dory group. Slip fee $30 per day http://www.rockettsvillage.com/boating
4. 7/15/13 Eco Discovery Park (previously named Jametown Yacht Basin). Please call Bonny or Kim at 757-565-3699. Let them know that you are with the C-Dory group. They only lay out 4 transient slips, but will work it out that we all have mooring. Additionally, some of the docks do not have power (but they may work that issue out as well). Slip fee is $15 and though they have a bath house, there is no restaurant on premises, but a cab will accommodate transportation to a local restraint if we desire. http://www.ecodiscoverypark.com/marina/

As a starting point, all boats can meet at Smithfield Station the afternoon of 7/12, or you are welcome to leave your tow rig at my house and leave from there. I will help you with launching your boat at the local ramp and shuttling your rig to my house.
Folks that need to shorten the trip, could drop out at any point or could pre-stage your tow rig where you would like to end your journey.
Best regards,
Steve Baum
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: