The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Power For A C Dory 25
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
svmegatron

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Power For A C Dory 25 Reply with quote

I bring up the subject of power again in light of a C Dory 25 currently listed on Ebay with a 115 horsepower motor.

I've never seen one with less than a 135 - anyone here in C-Brat land ever run a 25 with a 115hp ? How was it?
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think you'd have an issue getting more than mid-teens with a typically loaded 25. We have the 135 on ours and have been very pleased with the performance, but it is rare that we have the desire to run 20 knots or more. I've seen other 25s with a 130 (prior to the Honda 135), but nothing with less horsepower than that.

I would think a sea trial would be in order, to determine what the boat will really do. Keep in mind that 100 gallon fuel tank and typical cruising gear. Most 25s have a fridge, water heater, 30 amp electrical system, and more storage capacity than the 22s.

Just an opinion, since I have no hands on experience with a 115 hp motor on a 25.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the Friday Harbor CBGT I saw a 25 with twin 90's. That sure looked like it handled well, but then I'm partial to twins. My 22 has twin 40's and I know there are several with twin 50's. That is only 15 less than the one you are looking at. It just seems to me that that might be on the underpowered side.

Just my thoughts.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

svmegatron

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I'm in agreement - it seems like 115 would just not be enough engine for the 25. I'm not opposed to cruising in the mid teens, but I just don't know how that translates to the load on the engine/longevity/noise and all that.

Thanks very much for the input!
Half Share

City/Region: Colleyville
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Photos: NAPTIME
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone familiar with this boat? It is named koinonia. I have been watching it and saw where the previous owners attended a couple of gatherings on the West Coast...one in Catalina. It looks like the listing on EBay is a dealer or "boat flipper". There is not a lot of info on the listing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-C-Dory-25-Excellent-fishing-boat-NO-RESERVE-/161029800247?_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&forcev4exp=true#ht_528wt_1064

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mitch and Martha,

Looks nice and clean. Has Trimtabs, and a kicker. Fuel tank is probably 100 gal. OK mix on the electronics with autopilot. Sounds like you could get out of it if not OK at the pickup. If you don't mind slow cruising (hull speed) the 115 will do that OK, but I would be concerned about overworking that engine if planning on cruising on plane very much. It is really sized more for a 22 or 23. BUT, for that price you could and a second 115 (maybe) and have twins that would not be overworked for sure. (OF course that is a whole 'nuther topic.) IT looks to be a good trailer, and if the engine hours are correct, it is hardly broken in.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The earlier 25's were rigged with the Honda 130, which is a smaller engine than the 135 (on the 150 block), and a bit bigger than the 115. This boat on e-bay has the Merc 115, and probably might be one sold by Lake Union, since they were Merc dealers. In my opinion the 115 is not enough engine for the 25. I had the 130 and it was barely enough when the boat was fully loaded for cruising in AK. (We did a number of trips in the boat, including the Delta trip, A Catalina cruise, Broughtons and a month in Alaska. So the boat with a 130 is capable,but it would be rare for us to get 20 knots---most of the time we were at 17 to 18 knots. That is fine, but you don't have a lot of reserve. We might have gotten more with a different prop. When we sold the boat, it was to Hooked on Powell, and he ended up with an 11" pitch prop (as I recollect), to get the boat to perform properly at Powell. We run our boats heavy with supplies on board for 6 weeks, including generator, refer, freezer, dinghy, dinghy motor, etc.

If you were to keep the boat stripped down, and use it mostly for fishing you could get by with a 115, but not with the boat loaded for cruising.

You cannot tell a lot by looking at photos, but the boat on e-bay is well equipped, however, I don't see the seat back for the forward seat, and there are a few issues which pop out looking at the photos, such as a number of rust stains. It is a 2004, with the holding tank aft--not photos of the cockpit and that is where there maybe floor or transom issues. The one photo of the GPS shows the boat South of Monterey, CA. offshore If you are interested in the boat, I would look at it very carefully and get a good survey. For $25,000 you can repower sell that 115 Merc and get a larger engine or try it like that, and fix any issues you find, assuming that the hull is OK. However, there may be a reserve on the boat. My guess is this is a repo.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
A Fishin C

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

couple of ebay questions:
suggestions are to sea trial and get a survey
is this even possible?
it says on the description the buyer can back out of the deal if not happy upon viewing is this even possible?

Any seasoned ebayers willing to impart advise to a newbee?

PM is OK to, if anyone has advice or info on this boat. Don't want to get burned.

Thanks,
Stefan
DuckDogTitus

City/Region: Gig Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: C-Miner
Photos: Hemingway
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the auction:

Quote:
If you buy this boat and upon pick-up you are not satisfied with it you can back out of this purchase.

I wouldn't spend that much on a car or boat or anything on eBay unless I could physically handle it first.

also... I'm "watching" that auction. I bet it jumps in price quite a bit in the last hours/minutes.

jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: cd-25 Reply with quote

The 115 merc is a 1.7 litre yamaha block engine when merc and yamaha were in bed together .mercury got the 50,75,90,115,and 225 blocks from yamaha and yamaha got mercs proprietery corrosion protection for its marine engines We have a 115 yami on our cc-23 we can cruise all day at 23mph or top speed at 32 mph I doubt a fully loaded cd 25 would hit 23 maybe 15 cruise and 22 tops just a guess Fot slow cruising and fishing might be OK but if fully loaded it could be a problem ? If the hull an trailer are good sell the motor and buy a 150 hp you would be adding about 12k -whatever you get for the 115 (3-4k).So if you could keep bid under 30k add 12k your into it for 42k or so ?
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
thataway

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask the seller if you can examine the boat. I know of one case where a friend bought a boat on e-bay, and had it shipped about 1000 miles. It was not as represented, so he sent it back. However, both shipping fees were on his dime! It would have been much cheaper to have flown to see that boat!

There are still a lot of unknowns on this boat.
thataway

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: cd-25 Reply with quote

jennykatz wrote:
The 115 merc is a 1.7 litre yamaha block?

The Honda 130 is a 2.254 Liter engine (same as the Honda 115). That is about half a liter less displacement for the Merc. So I would expect considerably less torque than the Honda 130. You can swing a slightly larger prop on the Honda--again important when marginal power.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No reserve? Hmmmmmmmm....the susipcious, non-trusting side of me is on alert.
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 64 feedback reports for gsmotorss as a seller. The majority are for high dollar sales of mostly boats. There is one negative feedback, over a title issue. All the listings were for no reserve on the item.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
helm

City/Region: Medford
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Chack Chack
Photos: Chack Chack
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our personal experience after using a heavily laden CD 25 while cruising the Great Loop was that we were under powered with a Suzuki DF 140. When we got to Michigan from our starting point in New York we were able to sell the DF 140 for a fair price and repower with a Suzuki DF 200, which allowed us to use all of our old controls and minimized rigging costs. Since then we have never been in a situation where we were shy on power or otherwise regretted the decision to repower.
Cheers
Eric

Finished the Great Loop July 7, 2011
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: