The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

SE Alaska 2013
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: SE Alaska 2013 Reply with quote

Have a great time you two. Looks like Mary is on the fast track promotion course to Admiral. So you behave yourself Captain.
Looking forward to following your big adventure, send lots of pics.

Best,
Martin & Andrea Bridges.
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're following your posts -- have a great trip.
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katmai is in Ketchikan following the calmest
Ever crossing of Dixon Entrance.

We spent Sunday night in Foggy Bay.
No bears, but a beautiful, calm evening.

On the run to Ketchikan we crossed behind "Mary
Island" (naturally), and found an interesting little
opening back to the main channel from the north
end of Ham Island.

Shortly after getting through the narrows
we noticed a smallish runabout roughly a
quarter of a mile away that appeared
to be waving to us. When we arrived
We found five oldsters, no gas, no radio,
no oars who seemed Very happy we
happened to be in the neighborhood. We
rigged a towline and brought them about
twelve miles back to the nearest safe harbor.

The remainder of the trip was uneventful
but Tsongass Narrows was rougher than
I remembered (Lots of Memorial Day boat
Traffics). Cruising slowly along the shoreline
we saw lots of folks having a Ketchikan
holiday-at-the-beach/shore. There was even
a group of about twenty who were snorkeling
together. Brrrrrrrr....

We'll be in town for a few days 'touristing.
We're considering doing the Behm Canal
circuit around Revillagigedo Island (how DO you
say that??) before we continue North.

Great trip so far!

Best,
Casey&Mary
...enough thumb typing on a iPhone!

ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear Casey! Glad Dixon was calm. Can be a bad boy. Keep up the posts. Carolyn just got a stylus for iphone as she is challenged typing on it. Works well! Not so much cursing in the boat. Maybe dryer there than here. Been rainy. G and C
Casey

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After two spectacularly sunny days in Ketchikan, the weather has returned to 'normal. Locals seemed concerned that global warming had changed the normally cool, drizzly wx to warm & sunny. Reports could be overheard (at the local McDonald's, while using their Wifi) that sale's of suntan lotion and shorts had nearly depleted the local supply until the next barge arrival.

Normal (bothersome) condensation continues to be a bit of an issue (although last night it was reasonably dry inside). It's nothing like Jay&JoLee had last year in Southeast AK, but still a PITA. Having shore power permits us to use the "Big Heat" (electric heater) which really helps, but we're still experimenting with other ideas. So far we haven't struck upon the Perfect solution. (Well, I suppose the "Perfect Solution" is being at Lake Powell(!) - but that's not in the cards at the moment.) If anyone has found the Condensation Answer - please 'share! Smile

This morning the Ketchikan Daily News reported more thunder and lightning last night (a rarity), and someone caught a 40# King Salmon yesterday. This is a nice quiet little, if damp, community of friendly folk.

We haven't bothered with the 'news. It's nice to be free of the goings-on Outside. The XM radio seems to work ok when the antenna is pointed South (has something to do with the XM satellite being well south of here...). In any case, it's kind of nice to be news-free for a while.

We're still planning to do the "Behm Canal" loop around Revillegeigedo Island, which will probably take 4-5 days. Have any Brats done the Behm Canal? I've kind of been checking to see if fuel is available anywhere on the loop, but so far it appears that "Loring" is the last place for fuel (and that's 'iffy). We'll probably do the loop in a counter clockwise direction which would put the fuel supply closer to the end of the loop where it may be more of an issue. With sixty gallons capacity (about 56 useable...) range isn't really an issue since we like to displacement cruise virtually all the time.

Loving a cruising lifestyle! Smile

Best,
Casey&Mary
20dauntless

City/Region: Mercer Island and Decatur Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Retriever and Nordic Tug 37
Photos: Retriever
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Casey and Mary, I didn't do the whole Behm Canal last summer but did explore a bit of Misty Fjords. Overnighted in Carp Island Cove and Punchbowl Cove. Both beautiful. Here are links to what I wrote about them at the time:

http://www.samlandsman.com/2012/06/day-12-ketchikan-to-carp-island-cove.html
http://www.samlandsman.com/2012/06/day-13-carp-island-cove-to-punchbowl.html

Give Yes Bay Resort a call about fuel availability; sometimes they have gas for sale.

As for condensation, I found airflow was incredibly important. Keeping the bow hatch cracked open and a fan blowing into the V-berth helped tremendously.

Best,
Sam

NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey wrote:
. . . If anyone has found the Condensation Answer - please 'share! Smile . . .

Sponges, Casey. Lots of sponges! Laughing

We spent an unscheduled week in Ketchikan two years ago. I'm used to rain. This was something else! With the electric heater on shore power, the Wallas on high, windows cracked, and three fans going we almost held the moisture at bay. Almost.

Have you ridden the buses everywhere they go yet? Tried all the coffee shops?

I really envy you your journey. Hope to get back up next year. Let us know how Behm goes. Haven't done that.

Be patient with the weather - be safe.

Casey

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Update: 06-01-13 Reply with quote

Update....

It's been a while since my last 'report, but this morning seems like a good time to share some of the items we've experienced during the past week.

We're still in Ketchikan. Now it's my turn to suffer through the cold that Mary had recently, so we're fairly content to sit here (with Electricity and a heater!) while slowly coming back to Health. I am about ready to acknowledge electricity as one of Man's greatest discoveries ... possibly as good as Club Soda (for those who know me well). Thank God for electricity and electric heaters!

We originally planned to begin our trip on June 1st, and here we are - already in Ketchikan for six days, so from that perspective I suppose we're ahead of our non-schedule.

Our six days in Prince Rupert were enjoyable, with amazingly good wx. We "boaterhomed" in the only campground in PR for three nights ($31/night w/elec) then launched and stayed aboard at the Prince Rupert Rowing & Yachting Club ($36/night w/elec) for three additonal nights. The truck w/ trailer are stored with Devon at Canadian Freightways (TEL: 250-624-3249) for $80/month. While in PR we toured the old North Pacific Cannery in Port Edwards (about ten miles out of town). A really interesting tour. We also toured the Museum of Northern British Columbia which has an Excellent set of displays. (Those tours were $12 and $5, respectively. Well worth the cost.)

After a smooth crossing of the Dixon Entrance, we anchored in Perfect conditions at Foggy Bay. Only one other boat, no bears, but really nice.

On to Ketchikan. I've already reported the ride to Ketchikan and the vessel-assist (tow) that we were able to provide.

Ketchikan has a city bus system that I didn't remember during my last visit in 2006. It's a $1/ride, or $2 for an unlimited day pass. (us) Seniors get to ride for $.50. Yahoo! It's really a thrilling ride, and covers virtually all the developed areas on a good timetable. These busses Haul Ass! (My impression is that most of the city bus drivers are retired NASCAR drivers.) We rode the bus to the (marginal) Saxman Totem Village ($5 to get in) on the south end. On the north end of town, just past Walmart, is the Totem Bight State Park (free) which is EXCELLENT. In the center of town is the USForest Service Visitor Center with an Excellent display ($5, but free if you have a Senior Pass [aka: Geezer Pass]). We haven't been to the "logging show" yet, but may go.

Yesterday we rode the busses, watched the 'tourii (four [FOUR] cruise ships in town) and people-watched. Today we may go to the USCG Base and check-out their PX.

The Bar Harbor (city) marina is a working marina, with good prices ($.59/ft + $.12/ft for electricity). Showers ($2 for TEN minutes!) are, HOT, clean and fairly convenient. Friendly folks.

All-in-all things are going well, if a bit damp and sniffly. It'll be nice to see the sun again!

We're still hoping to do the "Behm Canal Loop" around Revillagigedo Island (say it with me: Revilla - gig -'edo...) when we are able and the wx improves. It's about 150 miles with no fuel stops, but displacement cruising (which we do most of the time anyway) should make it doable.

Meanwhile, life here is pretty comfortable. Some of the locals are already beginning to recognize us. We have McD's, a Safeway, electricity and my Adventure Woman/CoCaptain!

Life is Great!

Best,
Casey&Mary

Sent from Casey's iPad
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey and Mary,

Always a highlight to see a new update in the Alaska 2013 thread Thumbs Up

Reading, it comes across a perfect combination of painting a picture of the overall mood and place, plus specific detail for those of use who may follow in your footsteps at some point or are just curious about details (such as the place, contact info and current pricing of your truck/trailer storage, etc.).

Glad to hear you are on the mend (although sorry you had something to mend from).

Sunbeam
bridma

City/Region: Comox
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: SE Alaska 2013 Reply with quote

I remember about 25 years ago, I went off on a fishing trip with a couple of buddies in an old beat up RV. I laid in bed in the evening watching the condensation running down the walls. A few days later I went down with pneaumonia and that put me off work sick for 3 weeks.
So it is very important to get the condensation out of our boats or at least reduce it as much as possible.

Martin.
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Alaska Reply with quote

Casey and Mary Hope you get over your Colds ,We were in Ketchikan years ago on a cruise ship . What a wonderful place . Enjoying your voyages through the c-brats Take care and have a wonderful summer . Hope to catch up with you guys this winter in florida .

BTW I look back at our week from Comax to Anacortes as one of my better cruising trips thanks again Jim

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were in Loring two years ago and there is no gas or any other services. There is a community dock, but only the inside face is useable due to wave activity.

Near Loring is a Forestry dock and trail which leads to a lagoon and fresh water lakes. Its a good hike thru beautiful woods. Ask at the Forestry office which is located near the north end of Bar Harbor.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
BoaterHomer

City/Region: The Villages
Vessel Name: DESSERT 1st
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I consider our SE Alaska trip to have actually started on March 19th when we left Florida. Using the boat as a camper was wonderful and almost as fun as being on the water. We certainly get a lot of attention while "boater-homing"! When we are on the water, we're just another little fish in a big pond. But we were the ONLY boater-homer in Bryce Canyon, the Tetons, Lake Louise, at the Columbia Icefield glacier and many other fantastic places. We covered a lot of ground and saw a lot of gorgeous scenery including National Parks in the US and Canada before putting the boat in the water. And when they see our Florida license plates and boat registration, everyone wants to hear our story.

I've been posting at least one photo from my iPhone per day on Facebook. If anyone would like to "friend" me to see more photos, you can find me easily by searching "Mary Burtner Casebeer".

Photo below is from the North Pacific Cannery in Prince Edward, B.C. about 10 miles from Prince Rupert. Great tour. (Although we caught our colds from the coughing tour guide!)

‎"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Our boat trip photos: http://caseyandmary.smugmug.com
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a happy, handsome couple! Good for you. Live your dreams. Carolyn and George. We took off from Nanaimo yeasterday for a month in the Gulf Islands. In Silva Bay just now. Just before mid night 20-25 NW started thru here. On 1 1/2 to 1 scope in 23 ft as the place is loaded with private moorings. Love the 22 lb Bruce. It was nicely buried. The windlass grunted a couple times lifting it. Better it than me!! Came in to the resort to overnight. Following along with you guys. Have fun!
sportner

City/Region: Buckeye
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Model: 26 Osprey
Vessel Name: Glory Days
Photos: Traveler
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey,

I am currently in Petersburg, I missed you in Ketchikan. I will be here and anchored out until 6/11,Toni flys in 6/11. We would love to meet with you and Mary for drinks, dinner, or both. Stay in touch, I will be in Petersburg every 2-3 days.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: