The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Battery Types?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engine alternator puts out a certain charging amperage when running and sends that, minus the electrical power needed to operate the engine, to the battery. There is often a battery controller of some kind in the circuit to prevent overcharging but if you run the engine for a few hours the battery will likely be fully charged. A battery will slowly discharge while connected to the boat circuit so many people keep their battery on a trickle charger while the boat is out of the water and then start with a fully charged battery. We use a solar panel to keep C-Cakes batteries charged between trips.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan Major wrote:
As long as we are talking batteries. Does the engine automatically recharge the battery when in use or does it simply maintain the charge that you started with? How long would you go between trips before considering to put on the charger to bring the batteries up to full charge?

A lot depends on the alternator and how much you use the battery. We like to have a house battery (or 2) and an engine start battery. We have a 16 amp alternator, because of an older Honda 90--new ones are about 40 amps. I suspect that on your 16 you will probably have a lower output alternator, but not use a lot of power. Since we run a freezer on our longer trips (which most are), we do run a small Honda Generator, with both a 20 and 30 amp battery charger. The 20 amp unit is for the Engine start and House--and the 30 amp is for the dedicated freezer battery. We would hae to run a long time to put the 40 to 50 amps used by the freezer.

I believe that every week or so, you should top off the battery with the shore power charger--for at least 12 hours. This way the battery gets fully charged. When cruising, and only running a few hours a day- often the battery is not fully charged (about 80% is fairly easy to put in, but the last 10 to 20% is more difficult.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Grazer

City/Region: Yukon
State or Province: YT
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Horse
Photos: Grazer
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading the latest addition to this thread, I realized it was mine. Good time too. After having the boat at a Marina for the past two months without additional shore supply my '03 Honda 90 (16 amp output) kept the batteries up all summer. The runs were long enough to charge up fully at the end of the day and my draws were minimal. When I got home, l plugged the charger (ProSport 12) in and within approximately 20 minutes the batteries were ready and both at 13.42 V. So it would seem using two slightly different lead acid batteries (one AGM and one standard lead acid) with the dual bank charger works well.

Cheers Beer ,
Grazer
Stan Major

City/Region: DeLand
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: The Pegstan
Photos: The Pegstan
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help in the replies. I did purchase a Battery Tender trickle charger but have yet to try it.
potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battery disconnect switches are a great invention. Typically, we will shut off both start batteries and the house battery when we are not on the boat unless we will be off for only a few hours. I've yet to actually need shore battery charging. However, during the off season, I remove all three and keep them in the garage and put them on a full automatic charger once every month. Other than that, they don't see shore charging. Every thing seems to work fine with that protocol.

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battery disconnect switches are a great invention. Typically, we will shut off both start batteries and the house battery when we are not on the boat unless we will be off for only a few hours. I've yet to actually need shore battery charging. However, during the off season, I remove all three and keep them in the garage and put them on a full automatic charger once every month. Other than that, they don't see shore charging. Every thing seems to work fine with that protocol.
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powerboats have engines with alternators and batteries to charge. So do automobiles. Why do boat batteries require shore power, or other, extra charging to be topped off to a full charge and not automobile batteries?

Just wondering...

Aye.

Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there, Foggy, no bites on this one?

Let me give you my 2 cents worth:

I think it's because auto batteries, maybe the original 'starting battery', has mainly just one job: provide high amps over a short time to start the engine. Once the engine is running, the engine alternator provides all the autos power needs: light, horn, gauges, GPS, cell phone chargers, etc. These batteries usually are not run down past 20% or so. This, plus their physical make up of multiple relatively thin lead plates in acid lend them to being adequately recharged by the engine alternator.

Marine batteries, as I see it, are different. Boat electrical needs are often high when the engine is off, unlike an auto - unless one plays the radio too loud too long and then finds the thing won't start. Been there. Enter the 'deep cycle' battery which is designed to meet long hours of draw down. Most don't take much past 50% draw down without shortening their lifespan. AGMs may stand 80% draw down without suffering much as long as they are recharged. Deep cycle batteries have much heavy lead plates than auto starting batteries - notice they weigh more? This physical difference in the plating relates to the need for longer charging at lower voltage than auto batteries. Of course, there are 'combo' starting and deep cycle batteries which split the characteristics, and charging needs, for the auto and marine types.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Aye.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly agree with Foggy's reasoning. An interesting thing is that my 2012 Yukon only runs the alternator if the battery voltage drops or the power draw is increased. The idea is that you will get better mileage with less alternator draw. (I have not gong into the electronics of this), but it bothered me enough to put a SCAN gauge on, so I could monitor the battery voltage. It runs form 12.5 up to 14.1. So this affirms Foggy's thoughts, that even with an alternator which does not run all of the time, you are on the top 20% of the battery.

In a boat which runs a lot of the time, the battery will be charged--maybe even over charged if there is a poor voltage regulator. The inboard-inboard/outboard will have a "smart" regulator. When you are on passage with a trawler--the batteries are always charged, as the car. In a passage making sailboat--just the opposite, where the battery banks are drawn down to 50% by autopilots, nav gear, radios etc--and then a generator is used to bring those batteries up to charged state, heat water, make water, bring down eutectic solution in freezer/refer plates and may even do the wash. by running several hours a day. (I know some boats still use wind vanes...and no power to steer--been there)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: