The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Battery Types?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grazer

City/Region: Yukon
State or Province: YT
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Horse
Photos: Grazer
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Battery Types? Reply with quote

Hello All,

I am looking at installing a Pro Mariner Pro Sport 12 dual bank battery charger. The installation instructions say "Do NOT mix battery types on-board. All batteries should be of the same age and in good operating condition." I am planning on using a 660 CCA lead acid starting/deep cycle battery for my START battery and for my HOUSE battery a AGM Deep Cycle battery. They are similar in age. Are they the same type of batteries and will they work with the ProSport 12?

The charge setting for the ProSport is set from the factory for lead acid batteries and one can change it to gel cell setting. There is a CAUTION - "To reduce the risk of injury; charge only lead acid type rechargeable batteries (lead acid, sealed lead acid, gel cell and AGM)." It seems to me, this sentence reads that lead acid batteries and AGM batteries are both types of rechargeable lead acid batteries. Am I understanding this correctly?

Grazer
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see where that would be confusing because of their terms. Here is how I understand it:

1) Basically all the batteries we use for starting and house functions on our boats are lead acid batteries. So in that way they are the same "type." (In other words, I think AGM's and Gels are lead acid batteries too.)

2) But within that category are three types:

a) Wet or flooded cell (these are the "usual" batteries we've traditionally had in cars, etc.).

b) Gel

c) AGM

My guess is that it's the [sub] types a,b, and c that they want you to have matching in both banks (so that you can set the charger to one of the types and it will work for both banks). I think that when they say "lead acid" they mean the flooded cell [sub] type specifically (so that could cause confusion because that umbrella really contains gel and AGM too, I believe).

Luckily others will come along and eliminate my guessing though Smile

Sunbeam
Grazer

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Prosport has only two settings for charging cycles - one for wet/AGM's; one for gel cell lead acid batteries. While I agree they are all lead acid type batteries, the question remains can I charge the Start Battery (wet) and my House (AGM) from the dual bank charger.
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you mean. If there is one setting for flooded/AGM, and you have one flooded and one AGM, can you use that charger? (Even if not optimum, would it work okay in the real world?) I don't know the answer but I can see why you are asking given what is in the manual. Sorry about the "non answer" above.
Matt Gurnsey
Dealer

City/Region: Port Orchard
State or Province: WA
Photos: Kitsap Marina
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat) and Gel batteries are very different from the standard lead-acid battery. They may require different charging voltages and different charging profiles.

So bu same type, they mean that all batteries must be lead-acid, or all AGM< or all Gel. It's a bad idea to mix types as you'll shorten their life.

This advice also can apply to batteries charged by the engine. Beware the Yamaha specifically says not to use AGM batteries on their mid sized outboards (50, 70 etc) as they charge system won't support them. It probably has to do with how the charge is regulated.

Hope this helps!

360-895-2193
(888) 293-7991
Jake

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Matt, never would have thought that the engine cares what type of battery is used with it.
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting about the Yamaha info. I wonder why that is? What I mean is that, from what I've read, all of our typical outboards (40hp to 150hp, say) basically have "dumb" chargers that don't really do a very good job as compared to today's "smart" type chargers (where you can set float, absorption, etc.).

I wonder what is specifically different on those particular Yamahas, and/or why they say that? I feel like I read some threads on this here some time ago [found in a search] and it ended up being a "non valid" reason, but now I can't remember what it was, specifically (so take my mutterings with a large grain of salt).

Edited to add: Here is a link to the thread I remembered. I haven't yet re-read all four pages to remind myself of the outcome. Maybe we can continue discussing there if anyone wants to.

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=10916

Sorry about the hijack, Grazer (but at least I didn't start it this time Wink)

Sunbeam
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gazer,
Why do you want an AGM house battery?

I ran a 115 Yamaha for 4 years (until I sold the boat) with a group 27 AGM battery, no problems). Most outboards will not fully charge any battery, so a top off with a good charger every few days is good. For example last summer I was running two group 24 batteries as the house and starting--lead acid. I was also running a freezer off a group 31 AGM, and each day I would charge it separately with a 30 amp charger--then I would use the boat 2 bank battery charger (Master volt) to charge the house and engine start at the same time--using a Honda EU 1000I.

If you are careful with the AGM and lead acid you can charge them together with a VSR. Top each off with the battery charger. I would not use them in parallel, except in an emergency.

Matt, most Lead Acid profile battery chargers will charge an AGM battery fine--but not as fast as some of the specific chargers. The 30 amp charger I use for the AGM, has a separate AGM profile, but I have run AGM's for years off a standard lead acid profile battery charger. I read in one place that Yamaha had not tested the AGM batteries, and that was why--also they wanted to be sure that the battery had the adequate CCA (MCA) capacity. You are not going to hurt either the engine alternator (charging system) or the battery.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Grazer

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
The reason I went with an AGM was that it was the only one I could find locally at the time that was deep cycle in Group 24 size. Also, I needed it to slid in on an angle into the area aft in the starboard larazette.

I posed this query to the folks at Pro Mariner and they said that it " will be fine with this setup to charge these two batteries because the charge profile for standard AGM batteries and flooded lead acid batteries are the same."

So I'll connect my batteries to my switch with a VSR to charge while underway and hook my boat charger to a land based 110V when not using the boat.

Thanks all who provided information.
Chars Beer
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Batteries for CDory and Airstream Reply with quote

I'm thinking its time to replace the batteries in both the dory and Airstream. I am considering AGMs in the Airstream and maybe for Constant Craving as well. The Airstreamers like Lifelines, but at $280 a copy for group 24s, that's a chunk of change.

Is anyone using other brands of AGMs (Costco...)? What's your experience? Any recommendations?

Thanks!!

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam's club has AGM batteries, which are made by East Penn, about same as Sears--at over $100 less per battery. I have group 31 and they seem to be very good. Ours in Fl are Duracell (ONLY AVAILABLE IN AL, CT, DE, FL, GA, IL, IN, KY, MA, MD, ME, MI, MS, NC, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, SC, TN, VA, AND WV)

Some are Energizer (ONLY AVAILABLE IN AK, AR, AZ, CA, CO, HI, IA, ID, KS, LA, MN, MO, MT, ND, NE, NM, NV, OK, SD, TX, UT, WA, WI, and WY). Not sure if there is any difference, but specs seem about the same.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found good product, prices, and staff at one of the batteries + stores locally. Seamate AGMs are good too. I have an Optima that has held up for 4 years so far but some folks have had less luck with them.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found good product, prices, and staff at one of the batteries + stores locally. Seamate AGMs are good too.

Greg
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've personally had great results with Odessey marine batteries the past 12 years after abandoning Optimas.
http://www.odysseybattery.com/
Downside: one of six I've bought went weak prior to the generous 3 year replacement warranty and the factory wouldn't replace it after Web dealer quit carrying it unless I sent it back for testing. They weigh more than most for a reason (more virgin lead) and seem to me a reasonable compromise between Rolls/Lifeline/golf cart etc and WalMart/Penn/SeaVolt. Also, auto version got a primo rating from Consumers Reports.
Now Odessey is making Sears diehard Platinum Marine batteries with a 3 year full warranty so when my House went weak in June I replaced it with a group 31, 1150(!) CCA, 106 RM. They went on a 10% off +$65 rebate sale last week so I replaced the 2 engine Dekka batteries (mfg in 2009) as well for <$230 each. The same (model 1700) Odessey battery ($360) is still going strong after 5 years in the Regal 2665 with hard use (sold). I like all batteries on the same charger to be the same age/brand/type (Odessey/Sears specifies the lead acid charging profile). I can tip it, no prying off caps with acid to spill, safe recharging even in the cabin, (THAT is unique in my research) std issue for F-16's and M1 Abrams as well as Coast Guard (Bollinger built) patrol boats (they get 10). Works fine on it's side. Bulletproof, if you ever get really, REALLY mad at it.
Overkill? yes, for some. Underkill? yes, for some. But I sleep better, and I've had a SeaTow card for 30 years and never used it.
Some say, buy the Sears Platinum DieHard (Odessey) auto battery with a 4 year flat warranty, but I say how would Sears test it if not in your car?
The Batteries + etc stores charge much more for the Odessey 1700, and Sears always seems more willing to warranty replace stuff in my experience. Replacing a battery in the Regal meant removing the cockpit cover, heaving it onto the transom and painful contortions that made us never want to do it again, or more often than every 5-6 years. It was so easy on the Tom Cat that I might take Dr Bob's advice next time and go Max Value rather than Almost Best. Also realize that when you over-discharge any battery to 50% (11.5 volts) without recharging (can happen easily) life expectancy/recharging cycles will be dramatically shortened.
Your Mileage may (and most certainly will!) differ, but that's what we all expect!
Cheers!
John and Eileen

Stan Major

City/Region: DeLand
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: The Pegstan
Photos: The Pegstan
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as we are talking batteries. Does the engine automatically recharge the battery when in use or does it simply maintain the charge that you started with? How long would you go between trips before considering to put on the charger to bring the batteries up to full charge?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: