The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Marinaut Kicker Information
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Nile

City/Region: Connecticut
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2012
Vessel Name: Betty Ann
Photos: C-Nile
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
take a look at the lock tab of the honda 15. Its just a piece of "L" shaped steel attached to the upper frame and sits on the lower frame. It's attached via a bolt and swings up and out of the way with the flick of a finger. the weight of the motor locks it in place when in the up position. the 15 is electric tilt so you would need a way to lock it in on your motor.

I hear you, and there may be a way to efix an "L" brace that can be slid out of the way. Currently, the weight of the motor keeps my PVC pipe in place. I'm thinking about replacing the PVC with iron such that a rubberized yoke is braced against the engine, and the other end attaches to the lower unit reverse lock rod. What would be nice is to attach a second rod to the support to engage the reverse lock tabs on the engine. To deploy the motor, all I would have to do is pull the motor back, which will cause the support to drop to its vertical position. Then the engine reverse lock tabs would engage the second lock rod. We'll see.

I have to go into a slight rant here. Why should I, a customer, have to spend my time to make a product usable that an engineer should have designed better from the beginning? Other manufacturers like Honda do it right, why not Tohatsu? They are the biggest motor manufacturer in the world, and I have to stick PVC pipe into the engine to keep it tilted. As I stated earlier, it is a shame, because they make an otherwise wonderful engine.

Unrelated to boating, I had a situation with a Honda track drive snowblower twenty year's ago. It had tiny skids that made the blower very difficult to use in certain types of snow when the pavement underneath was dry. I heated the skids in order to twist them ninety degrees, attached hardened steel axles with two inch rubber wheels, and she works like a dream. The cutter bar floats about 1/4 inch above the pavement. The difference was night and day. The track drives made today still have steel skids, albeit significantly wider, but I would challenge anyone that my design change is superior to skids for that type of machine. Don't engineers test equipment before they pawn it off to the public? In my opinion, that is the central issue.

Rich

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: