The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Marinaut Kicker Information
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Nile

City/Region: Connecticut
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2012
Vessel Name: Betty Ann
Photos: C-Nile
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Marinaut Kicker Information Reply with quote

We put a 9.9 HP, electric-start Tohatsu on our Marinaut, and love the engine. It has been trouble-free thus far. We had our Tohatsu mounted on a Garelick Offshore bracket. Here are our findings.

1) We use the motor only for emergencies, albeit we test it monthly, then let it run dry of fuel. The gas we use contains ethanol, so we use Blue Stabil at storage levels (twice the normal amount) to ensure we keep our fuel healthy.

2) On one level, we don't really like the Garelick bracket anymore. It suffers from the same issues as the Garelick bracket we installed on our CD 16 -- after a year or so, it sticks such that it is a devil of a time to push it down to lower it. I have to perch myself on top of the transom and step on it with all 250 pounds to get it down. On the other hand, we found we don't need to lower the motor. Since our kicker has a long shaft, we like it in the upper position because it will allow for shallow operation.

3) On the down side of not lowering the kicker, we found we could not go more then 1/2 throttle before the prop cavitates, as one would expect, because it is too close to the surface.

4) Speed tests. I think it pushes our boat at approximately 5 mph at 1/2 throttle. In tests against a 2.5 mph river current today, and heading directly into the wind, we were making 2.5 mph at 1/2 throttle. Downriver, we did approximately 8 mph. I was going to do a more formal test, but 9.9 HP is plenty of kicker for what we need -- an auxiliary function. If we lowered the motor bracket deeper, I estimate our top speed on a Marinaut with a kicker running WOT is around 5.5 mph. I would like to lower the motor bracket get the proper lower in the water to provide more empirical information, but it takes too much effort. It would be interesting to see what other people are experiencing.

5) Changing the motor tilt on a Marinaut is extremely difficult unless one climbs on top of the transom, and even then, it takes a lot of physical exertion. For those who intend to use a kicker regularly for fishing, power trim/tilt with a fixed bracket is a good option to choose, in my opinion.

Rich

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got the right motor. We use a Honda 9.9 on Journey On which weighs 110 lbs, about 20 lbs more than the Tohatsu. Since we trailer Journey On we put the motor on when we launch and take it off when we haul it out. I cry every time I think of how much lighter the Tohatsu would have been. and we've never used the electric starter.

I'm just too cheap to sell the Honda, take the loss and get a Tohatsu. Both are fine motors.

I'm not sure what Garelick motor mount you have, but I use silicone spray on all the rubbing surfaces, and then, yes, I stand on the handle to push that motor down or just to get it out of the locking slots.

Boris
oldguy83

City/Region: minnesota
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem, so I removed one of the two springs. It went down five than. JDB
C-Nile

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldguy83 wrote:
I had the same problem, so I removed one of the two springs. It went down five than. JDB

Wow, that's so simple, but logical. If I might ask: subjectively speaking, how much force is required to return the motor bracket to its up position -- 20 lbs pull, 40, 60? Even so, I might try lubrication first, but should that fail, your idea seems solid if the amount of force required for the return is not to great.

Rich
oldguy83

City/Region: minnesota
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My engine is a two stroke 9.9 @ 70 lbs on the port side of a 1985 Classic. I can stand in front of it and bend over and with one hand, grab the back hand grip and it comes quite easy.

You can always put the spring back or get a lesser, one if one is not enough.
By the way did I mention I'am Eighity three years old. Cry

i
Jake

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I assumed oldguy83 meant you graduated from high school in 1983 Laughing I love it when someone comes up with a simple solution to what appears to be a difficult problem. Cigar
C-Nile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pleased to report that a 9.8 HP motor performs excellently on my Marinaut 215. Here are my findings on returning to home port on emergency power over a varied course of 20 miles.
1) I used the aux shallow water drive to get back to the channel
Then I pushed the motor bracket all the way down, set the throttle to 100 percent, and lashed the tiller handle to the Marinaut stern railing
2) I used my main engine as a tiller. It was amazingly responsive. So for me, I don't need linkage to the main motor.
3) The autopilot works well using the main engine as a rudder. I went several miles staying on course.
4) We were traveling between 7.0 and 7.7 mph with the tidal current behind us on the river, and across Long Island Sound, we averaged around 5.5 mph.
5) The engine never came out of the water or cavitated when we hit occasional waves of three feet in Long Island Sound. So the combination of having a long shaft and ability to lower the motor deeply into the water with the Garelick Offshore Bracket was a big benefit. (Yet, this does not interfere with the ability to run the motor in a few inches of water when leaving the bracket in the "up" position.)
6) Upon arriving at the head of the slip at my home port, I sat on the flat, port splashwell as one would sit in a rowboat, and operated the kicker with my right hand while facing forward. I only had to lean slightly to port to see ahead, and executed a perfect docking.
7) A quick plug for Tohatsu: it starts the first time every time. I just love electric start!

Following is a movie of the kicker in action.

Rich

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=C-Nile&id=10_HP_Tohatsu_Kicker_Powering_Marianut_215_Home_on_20_Mile_Trip&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Nile wrote:
...Then I pushed the motor bracket all the way down, ... lashed the tiller handle to the Marinaut stern railing... I used my main engine as a tiller. It was amazingly responsive. So for me, I don't need linkage to the main motor.

Thanks for this entire report, but the above snippet is especially interesting to me. I don't have a linkage between the main and kicker (Honda 8D), and it looks as though the tiller on the Honda (which I would just as soon keep) would make it difficult to fit one. I have run with a small engine locked "straight" and using a sailboat tiller to steer in the past, but didn't know how that might work on our type of boat using the main as the rudder. Of course I'll try it out, but this is good info, gained by real-world experience.

Sunbeam
Jake

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,

Was that 20 mile trip just a test of your backup system or did you have a breakdown of the Honda? Nevermind. Saw your other post. Ouch! Sounds like my kind of luck.

Jake
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
9.9 HP, electric-start Tohatsu

We have the same engine as a kicker. It does always start on the first try, runs perfectly and was the lightest 9.9 I could find. Although I don't "love" anything that can't love me back, I am happy w/ the engine.

C-Nile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake wrote:
Rich,

Was that 20 mile trip just a test of your backup system or did you have a breakdown of the Honda? Nevermind. Saw your other post. Ouch! Sounds like my kind of luck.

Jake

Hello Jake,

I ran my Marinaut over rocks, and the Honda was rendered unusable (see topic "Fate Is The Hunter"). What really made me very happy was the speed that we traveled (20 miles in 3 hours), that a long shaft motor pushed all the way down did not cavitate and the prop did not come out of the water when hitting 3 foot waves head on, that unlike my CD 16, the main engine used as a tiller was very responsive taking me 99 percent of the way home (even using autopilot at times,) and is very easy to use the tiller handle facing forward to make refined moves such as docking.

Rich
C-Nile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
C-Nile wrote:
...Then I pushed the motor bracket all the way down, ... lashed the tiller handle to the Marinaut stern railing... I used my main engine as a tiller. It was amazingly responsive. So for me, I don't need linkage to the main motor.

Thanks for this entire report, but the above snippet is especially interesting to me. I don't have a linkage between the main and kicker (Honda 8D), and it looks as though the tiller on the Honda (which I would just as soon keep) would make it difficult to fit one. I have run with a small engine locked "straight" and using a sailboat tiller to steer in the past, but didn't know how that might work on our type of boat using the main as the rudder. Of course I'll try it out, but this is good info, gained by real-world experience.

Sunbeam

Sunbeam,

I think that the length of our boats really helps in giving us a greater measure of directional control as compared to having a shorter length boat. For fishing or coming back in an emergency, it works well. However, I think direct linkage is better for making tight turns. Even the S1000 autopilot worked well using the main engine as a rudder as it made minute adjustments to keep us on track. It made it less fatiguing. It would be interesting to hear how your boat handles in similar conditions.

Rich
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Nile wrote:
It would be interesting to hear how your boat handles in similar conditions.

I'll try to remember to report back after I try it (although hopefully without *exactly* duplicating your scenario).

Speaking of engines, I sure wish my 22 could handle one of those Honda 115's -- what a sweet engine!

Sunbeam
C-Nile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tohatsu 9.8 kicker is a sweet engine. With her push start, she starts first time, every time. And she got me home after I stupidly ran my lower unit over rocks. But a major problem with her occurred this year: her tilt stopper bracket bent on two occasions, preventing us from keeping the engine tilted out of the water. This is particularly an issue for us, because we use a rack storage service. The kicker has to be tilted up for the forklift to get underneath the hull.

I just spoke with my mechanic today, and agree with him that Tohatsu, in all probability, did not intend for the motor to be tilted out of the water most of the time. If they had, they might have engineered a better mechanism. The current design allows the engine to be supported by the stopper at only one point. There exists no locking pin. Personally, if I was engineering that motor, I would have designed it differently. This engine is too heavy to rest on one point.

I think highly of Tohatsu, but if any of you are considering a kicker, get a kicker with an automated trim/tilt to avoid the problem. Whatever you do, make sure the engine has some sort of locking mechanism or robust design, or you will run into the problem I had.

My workaround was to design my own support mechanism, and I have a few ideas for future modifications to go beyond this quick and inexpensive fix as shown in my photo album.

[url] www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album1406&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

take a look at the lock tab of the honda 15. Its just a piece of "L" shaped steel attached to the upper frame and sits on the lower frame. It's attached via a bolt and swings up and out of the way with the flick of a finger. the weight of the motor locks it in place when in the up position. the 15 is electric tilt so you would need a way to lock it in on your motor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: