HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Stripers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jersey Joe

City/Region: Forked River
State or Province: NJ
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:01 am    Post subject: Stripers Reply with quote

Saturday night...brilliant half-moon...drifting for stripers through Barnegat Inlet, across Oyster Creek and Double Creek channels...water temp at 58, air temp at 65...live eels, clams and bunker chunks for bait...marking dozens of fish at tide change...rips behind the boat...bunker worked on by the bass and even birds in the moonlight...C-Dory doing its thing...pot o'coffee on the Wallas...ah what a glorious night.
And now the bad news: dozens of boats drifting/powered willy-nilly along, saw or heard 4 collisions with marker buoys, almost was hit twice by fishermen who obviously were enjoying their suds...even saw an anchored boat struck by a drifter and the drifter yelling at the anchored boat captain (which was properly anchored and correctly lit)...and NO BITES!
Oh well, there is always next time...can't wait till it's cold and ONLY my C-Dory will be in the rips!
Helen O

City/Region: Cathlamet
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Helen O'
Photos: Helen O'
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up Jeez Joe, that sounded like paradise until I read the 2nd paragraph. Disgust

Larry S
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe -

I didn't know there were Stripers in the Columbia River! It sounds like you were fishing around our Buoy 10 in August.

What are bunker chunks, (besides chunks of bunker). Maybe I should ask what bunker is.

You'll get 'em next time!

Mike
Jersey Joe

City/Region: Forked River
State or Province: NJ
C-Dory Year: 2001
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:55 am    Post subject: Stripers Reply with quote

Bunker, also known as mossbunker is probably the most common baitfish in NJ. Adults are about 12 to 18 inches and maybe a pound or two. They are the most oily fish that I know of. Huge schools are commercially caught for fish meal and oil. Bunker chunks are usually bunker cut up into 3 or 4 parts. I find the bass like the heads the best. BTW, peanut bunker, you guessed it, are baby bunker usually 3-5 inches and usually hugging the shoreline as they move about in huge schools (like tens of thousands at a time!). Surf fishing for blues, stripers, kingfish and fluke is great using peanut bunker.
Thanks for your empathy.
Stripers: Fear me...when it gets cold, I will be there in my C-Dory...the Wallas will be on...you cannot resist me...you will be mine!
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helen O's Larry wrote:
Thumbs Up Jeez Joe, that sounded like paradise until I read the 2nd paragraph. Disgust

Larry S
then it started sounding like another day at Bouy 10 in the Columbia
skagit_orca

City/Region: new jersey
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Gang of Four
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jersey Joe!
I didn't know there were C-Dorys in Forked River???
I'm on the River Toms and I have a Skagit Orca 24 XLC. I just took my boat out of the water on Friday, Dec. 17th. We went out saturday and sunday the weekend before out at the Sedge Islands and also "outside," but didn't have umbrella rig set-ups so caught only shark in the ocean; But did get some tasty "slot" fish (28 in.) for dinner that night at the Sedges!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: