The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

freshwater pump problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here are the mfg spec sheets for the Flojet 4406 and the 4405. The -143 means its 12 VDC

The difference is that the 4406 starts pumping when the pressure falls to 22 psi and the 4405 starts pumping at 15 psi. To me that is something I wouldn't notice. Both have an internal bypass for smoother flow.

Whatever pump you want, my only suggestion is to search the Internet first.

I would follow the comment that localboy made to mount the pump so that bilge water doesn't reach it. Journey On has the pump inside the cabin, but later C-Dories may have it elsewhere.

Boris
dread

City/Region: Berkeley
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Tessa
Photos: Tessa
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: Alternative to FloJet? Reply with quote

I'm about to replace the FloJet fresh water pump on my 2006 25' Cruiser. Would you recommend a strait switch, or is there a better pump that I should substitute?
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on my third fresh water foot pump.... what happens is we start seeing junk in the water....pull the pump apart and find oxidation in the base part.... the pumps have some sort of coating but that seems to go away quickly and the oxidation starts.... if they would only make the bases out of plastic they would last so much longer... they are not cheep pumps, and should be quality items...plus, there is no way to drain all the water out for storage...

Joel
SEA3PO
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have gone thru three 3 Jabscos. All were mounted in the bilge. Original one was screwed into the core and I moved it to vertically mounted on the battery tray support. I hoped it would last longer out of the bilge and no worries about water into the core. I plugged the holes w/ epoxy resin. The problem then became water running down the wires and into the top, rusting the electric motors. See my album.

This time I went w/ a Johnson and moved it up to the battery tray, mounted horizontally again. I even took a glob of silicone and sealed off where the wires enter the housing. Hopefully, it will last longer up higher due to being drier. Time will tell.

ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that pump lasted from '06 to now I'd stay with Flojet. Most pumps won't last like that. My 2011 has a Flojet Sensormax and has been flawless. It will run slow or fast depending on how much you open the tap.
George
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: freshwater pump problems Reply with quote

Our Flojet pump came with our 2008 boat which we have had from new. I hope this does not jinx anything but ours has been faultless. I keep RV antifreeze in the tank and have it run through our water system in the winter months. The original still working great. We have a spigot t'd off the fresh water pump to the cockpit and by connecting a hose usually empty our water tank spraying the boat and trailer with remaining water after using the boat and trailer in saltwater. Helps lighten the load. I add RV antifreeze to the system even in the summer to keep any remaining water from turning stinko. We also run RV anti freeze thru our raw water wash down pump.
D.D.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would stick with the flo Jet. The water pumps which are installed in the 25 with the tank aft are not going to last very long.

I have a FloJet in our RV, and it is 8 years old--and used a lot. Just failed. I will probably rebuild it.

When we were cruising full time, and had Jabsco pumps, I had quick release fittings on the plumbing, as well as the electrical. I always had a rebuilt pump ready to go, and a at least 2 rebuild kits to rebuild the next failed pump. They lasted about 6 months in daily use year around. The new pumps are far better.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antifreeze ! Uah !! I would be afraid to drink any of it....even flushing it out does not get it all........ Bill and El once told me to try Vodka....I prefer Gin so when I empty the boat for the winter...I put a half bottle of cheep Gin in the empty tank..... when I get ready to use it, I flush it with clear water...and refill it... gives the new water a nice taste...or at least I think so.
(better than antifreeze)...

Joel
SEA3PO
potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I installed my fresh water pump, It kept blowing spade fuses. I put an in-line fuse in that accepts a slo-blow fuse. That took care of the problem. The start-current on the fresh water pumps is much higher than the run current. The spade fuses, if you are using them pop immediately if current exceeds rating.

If you are using a circuit breaker, it could be a bad breaker, or the same issue with higher pump start-current.

I pulled the foot pump etc. because it was obnoxious to use. We wasted a lot of time tying to wash anything in the galley sink. I also didn't like the fresh water tank and location, so I pulled that tank out an now have that as a large new storage area. I hook one to three 5 gallon tanks to the pump, depending on how long we will be away from fresh water. Also, the freshwater weight is not forward by 4 to 5 feet which helps the normally heavy rear end of a 22 issue.

My pump system is on-demand by turning on the spigot and we don't use any more water than with the foot pump. It is a matter of telling yourself, "use minimum water."

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: