Capital Sea

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Capital Sea
Photos: Capital Sea
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towing issue aside, we made curtains for the door,side, and rear side windows only, and a screen curtain for the door and center front window. For the front windows we got a car dash sun shield, the folding padded kind, and cut it to fit. It takes only a moment to install and folds to store.

Save our Sound!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of tricks--one is I have a soldering gun which 150/100 watts, which I use for cloth work. I have one flat blade for cutting, one for searing edges, and one is round for hole making. I put the cloth on a piece of board and press the hot iron with the round point on the cloth and it burns a hole, with sealed edges. Easier than a hole punch, and is heat sealed.

I got to thinking why some have not had as good luck with the Vise Grip attachments. What I do is to make the first push with the die so it goes about half way, then I tighten the vise grips a half a turn and do the final press. This is a little more work than the professional tool where the die is at right angles at all times. For the anvil type, I make the first tap with a small ball peen hammer on the die, with a center punch, to start the flare, then the final taps with the die tool which comes in the kit.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had window coverings made for my boat last fall. The guy that made my full cover, did the window coverings out of some leftover material. I'll try to get some photos later and put up. I think he did a nice job. The coverings have a nylon flexible rod in the top of them that slide into a track attached above the window. This way I can either leave the coverings attached and just roll them up when not in use, or remove them entirely. Everything is inside the cabin.... Now about the postings with having front window coverings for towing. That has my attention a bit. I have already trailered my Cd-22 a few thousand miles, uncovered. (My cover is mostly for storage). Before that, I had a Searay 268 Sundancer, that I also trailered frequently uncovered. I have not had any issues with window damage on the boat. In fact, I'm actually more concerned about bow fiberglass damage than I am the windows, and have yet had a problem there. I'm also towing with a Toyota Highlander (and before that a Ford Excursion), and don't spin my wheels on gravel. Wink Seems to me the windows on the C-dory sit fairly high behind a high bow. I'll have to look closer when I have the C-dory hitched up, but I'm thinking it would be next to impossible to get a rock in the boat window, unless it came from another vehicle coming at me. And even then again, the rock would have to be flung high or come around the bow somehow. So anyway, I'm kind of curious now how many folks that trailer their c-dorys have had damage to their boats by thrown gravel, etc. Colby
thataway

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I have had several windshields damaged badly (even broken once) by various rocks.--some have been in trucks and RV's, so rocks can get up high--and then come down. --of course there is often both the speed of your vehicle--lets say 60 mpg, and some spin from the rock as thrown up--and can be on either side of the road--which could put the velocity over 100 mph...

When towing our Yukon behind the RV, we have a skirt of fabric which is between the RV and the truck. There is PVC pipe in the middle, with shock cord around the periphery of the skirt. The RV has 4 SS attatchment points on the rear bumper, and the RV has several. For the boat we can use the same skirt with a piece of PVC pipe to support the fabric on the front of the trailer. This skirt goes under the hitch, thus protects the electrical cables (which I have also had destroyed by highway debris several times--usually "Road Gators"--old tread.
Bill K

City/Region: Toledo
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: NIC'L PIC'L
Photos: NIC'L PIC'L
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what I use, it is called " Rock Tamer "

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For inside the boat, I used the nickel snaps and they have lasted. I used the cheap tool set from Sailrite. Again, worked fine.

http://www.sailrite.com/Snap-Fastener-Installation-Tool
http://www.sailrite.com/Hole-Cutter-1-8_2

As to windshield curtains outside, this is JMO, but it seems like a PIA. They'd get wet, dirty and I've have to walk out there each and every morning to remove them to leave.

I also installed tracks over all the windows and door. They are plastic and mount to wood strips I "glued" up w/ 5200. The wood strips are only about 1" wide and I painted them to match. The curtains give the boat a more "homey" feel and the wife was very specific about how they looked. She wanted pleats and all; she got them and is happy. Pics in my album if interested.

Jake B

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: PLUS 3
Photos: PLUS 3
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the input on this after reading all the post and looking online. the canvas guy in town wanted 50$ to snap them in for me so decided to do stainless studs and nickel snaps and put them in myself. as the canvas guy didn't seem like he really wanted to do it anyways. thanks again and went with sailrite.
Grazer

City/Region: Yukon
State or Province: YT
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: C-Horse
Photos: Grazer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: window cover snap to fabric question Reply with quote

Jake B wrote:
I already know to get the 5/8 stud screw in snaps for the windows and to use existing holes.

I found a local source for 3/8 stud screw snaps. Does anyone know if these will work in the window frames to do a similar installation of window coverings with snaps? I am assuming 3/8 inch is the screw length and should be sufficient to use in the existing screw holes in the window frame. Is this a correct assumption?
Thanks,
Grazer
cbgale

City/Region: Calumet
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: Raton
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Thataway's comment regarding the vise-grip dies. Work great! With very little experimentation you can accurately set each snap the same compressed amount. They are very simple, just slide over the jaws of a large pair of vise grips, and slip off when finished.
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in most cases the 3/8" studs should work fine; especially if you are just drilling new holes. As I recollect the 3/8 will also work where you replace the current screws also.
Grazer

City/Region: Yukon
State or Province: YT
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: C-Horse
Photos: Grazer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. I'll report back when I get the 3/8 screw snaps and hopefully some pics of my new window coverings.
chucko

City/Region: Davidson
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 1997
Vessel Name: Sea Angel
Photos: Sea Angel
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake, when we chose the window covering material we found a see thru product that can block 75 % UV rays . Gives great privacy from the outside and yet you can still see out when you want to see whats happening around you. Sunbrella and others make it in varying degrees of blockage. Idea you can see pic in my album.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have used the sunscreen/see out material on a variety of motorhomes; if you can see out during daylight, others can see in at night when you have the lights on.

We ordered the factory window covers when we bought our boat, because we knew we'd be cruising in the PNW right away and not have a sewing machine with us to be able to make them while on the boat. Joan is the seamstress, I do the snaps. We have made other covers for previous boats, and have made additional covers (and replaced snaps) for Wild Blue.

When we picked up the boat, we were surprised to find that the front windshield cover was outside mounted, while all the other covers were inside. If you are in a crowded anchorage and want privacy, you also don't want to have to go outside to remove the windshield cover in the middle of the night... when those middle of the night moves become necessary. Wink For years, we used the pop up sun shields made for a truck size, that fit almost perfect on the C-Dory. When we decided to spend the entire summer on the boat at Friday Harbor, Joan made inside windshield covers, I put in the snaps... shoulda done that a long time ago. She also made snap on screens for the opening center windshield and the cabin door (trimmed with matching Sunbrella).

One note on towing with the outside windshield cover: when we picked up our boat, I asked about towing with that cover on - they said, "Don't do that; it will abrade the windshield glass." Last year, on that almost 3,000 mile tow from the Tropical Tip to Anacortes, WA, we decided to try the windshield cover on while towing. About half way into that trip, one of the snaps pulled out of the fabric... the snapping fabric left blue marks on the gelcoat; took quite a bit of elbow grease to get that off.

Over 40,000 miles of towing the boat (all except the part of the trip above) without a windshield cover and no windshield damage. I put a couple coats of wax on the hull before every major trip and there is almost no pitting in the bow gelcoat. I do notice some marks in the forward bottom paint from time to time. That said, we rarely tow faster than 60-62mph. In our motorhoming days, even with a dirt skirt or mud-shield on the back of the motorhome, the vehicles being towed always received paint nicks on the front of the hood. We generally towed at the speed limit. Lesson for us: slower towing results in less touch-up later.

Best wishes,
Jim

Sea Angel

City/Region: Virginia Beach, VA
State or Province: VA
Photos: Sea Angel
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We purchased a snap kit from WM-

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=17049&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50692&subdeptNum=50698&classNum=50699

The main tool is a set of vice grips with "guides" for different sized snaps that mount on the jaws of the vice grips. I was able to figure it out in short order and only had 2 messed up attempts due to 'stupid'. Granted this is the more expensive set, but the SS hardware supplied and the tools made it worth my time and effort. I have used it to make Velcro extension straps and, strap holders and extenders.

Art

CBRAT #208
2005 CD25 #075 SEA ANGEL (SOLD)
USCGAUX (RET), USN(RET)
Broadcast TV ENG(RET)
ka1rx@verizon.net
Jake B

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: PLUS 3
Photos: PLUS 3
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgot to follow up on this post. we went with the dye type punch for hole making then the snaps went through that. my gma came out and measured all windows then i went ahead and and put them up not see through but sun wont fade them. ended up going with a dark blue as the grey was a little light for my liking. we have used them a few times while staying on boat and the privacy is very nice but also easily removable too. I would recommend them to anyone who stays overnight on there boat especially if on a busy dock..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: