View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jake B

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: PLUS 3
Photos: PLUS 3
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: window cover snap to fabric question Reply with quote

so we are in the process of making window covers for all the windows on our 22. I have been reading throughout the archives looking at all the old post. I already know to get the 5/8 stud screw in snaps for the windows and to use existing holes. but attaching the snaps to the fabric do I really need a special tool to do this? or is there a trick to not having to?

also a lot of the links in the old post are no longer good. i have been looking online and looks like the best place i can find is sailright they have the screw stud and snap that goes with it for .78$ each and looks like i will need around 40 of them. anyone know a better deal out there?
link
http://www.sailrite.com/Snap-Fastener-Cloth-to-Surface-5-8-Stud-Stainless-Steel

thanks for any help with attaching these snaps to fabric.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: window cover snap to fabric question Reply with quote

Jake B wrote:
but attaching the snaps to the fabric do I really need a special tool to do this? or is there a trick to not having to?

I've installed a fair number of snaps for an amateur. I've always used some sort of dedicated tool, but never one of the really expensive ones. One I've used is a snap stud setter from a "regular" fabric store. It's a sort of cheap plyers type thing that has a plastic receptacle in one jaw for the snap cap and another receptacle in the other jaw for the other side. Then you just poke one side through a hole in the fabric and close the plyers. Another is just a very simple die that's something like a mortar and pestle and you hammer on the "pestle" to form the two parts together. If I remember correctly I may also have used something that fit on a vise grips in the distant past. I bet the special tool from Sailrite is fantastic, but you don't need it. I've set snaps into nylon tubular webbing with the simply plyer one (so not just into thin fabric).

Sailrite is great, has good customer service, and their paper catalog is an excellent reference tool.... but I do sometimes buy from other places as well. McMaster Carr has a selection, I think. Watch out for non-stainless snaps (or snaps that are only partially stainless).

Sunbeam
My IRA

City/Region: Springfield
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Aidiam
Photos: My IRA
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake,

The stainless snaps are much more difficult to set in fabric using an inexpensive tool. The difference in the end product is distortion in the button cover when set with a driver or vise grip type tools. My advice would be to purchase the fabric through Sailrite and shop for the snaps locally where they have a professional set tool (most will loan it out or let you use it in the store). It will make your job easier with perfect results. Don't forget to reinforce the fabric where you locate the snaps.

1992 C-Dory 22 Cruiser sold 8/96
1992 OLympic 26XLF Sold 10/2000
1989 Arima 19 SR sold 2003
2004 C-Dory 25 sold 10/05
1992 Bounty 25 Offshore Pilot sold 6/2010
2006 Arima 17 SC sold 9/2012
2013 C-Dory 23 Venture
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My IRA wrote:
Jake,

The stainless snaps are much more difficult to set in fabric using an inexpensive tool. The difference in the end product is distortion in the button cover when set with a driver or vise grip type tools.

You know, maybe I was using nickel-plated snaps at the time -- it has been a few years since I was making a lot of snappy things, and materials info was not as easy to come by back then. So I should probably have been a bit less enthusiastic in my endorsement for the cheaper tool (I didn't mean to steer you wrong, Jake). I do usually lean toward buying a good, "lifetime" tool, such as the Sailrite one. I didn't know about local shops loaning out the pro tools --that's a good idea.
potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also mark up your fabric and just spend the few bucks to let a professional shop put in the snaps.

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
Jake B

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the info I will deff price out the shope here to put snaps in or look at stores that may lend the tool also first. and no misdirection sumbeam, I appreciate the info. i'm sure the snaps will be reinforced. I am not doing the actual making of these my gma is doing the sewing part.
beermanPDX

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Photos: Jean Marie
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: window cover snap to fabric question Reply with quote

Jake B wrote:
anyone know a better deal out there?

You might want to try http://www.rochfordsupply.com/ . I bought my snaps/studs there as well as the Press N' Snap tool. They are quite a bit cheaper than Sailrite (Ex. the same tool is $116 vs $139). Most of the snap pieces come in bags of 100. I priced out the same stainless combo of 5/8" stud, stainless socket, and stainless button and it comes out to $42 for 100.

Nothing against Sailrite by the way....they have a great store and customer service. I have one of their Ultrafeed sewing machines and love it.

Rob
2008 25 Cruiser - Sold
2002 Nordic Tug 32/4 - Sold
1989 40 Tollycraft Sport Sedan
chriscarrera

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Carrera
Photos: Carrera
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote sail-rite, used them for snaps and the press and snap tool, when I did window covering on tomcat. By the way, I used duck cloth/canva, cheap and blocked out light nicely. Did not feel sunbrella was needed in that application.
Also, doubled up the thickness where the buttons are placed with a 1 inch circular piece of canvas, so they don't rip out.
Full disclosure: had mother in law sew on black edging.

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed window covers on Journey On. I got the snaps, etc. from Defender:Snaps, Grommets and a vise grip tool . All worked well and were cheap in cost, not quality.

BTW, if you do order from Defender get a top snapper for putting up any outside canvass.

And we installed the front window canvass inside, instead of outside. I'm not sure why people put the front covering outside, but it's a lot easier to put it up at night from the inside.

Boris
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
<stuff clipped>
And we installed the front window canvass inside, instead of outside. I'm not sure why people put the front covering outside, but it's a lot easier to put it up at night from the inside.

Boris

Boris,

I think some people put the front window canvas on the outside to protect the window while trailering. E.g. it reduces rock chips and puts the bugs on the canvas.

potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A protective cover over the front windows is an absolute necessity when towing. It needs to be made up by pros probably because it should be two layers with a matt cushion layer in between the two to handle rocks. Don't leave home without it. If you don't have a front outside padded window cover, it is only a matter of when not if you will lose a window while towing. I lost mine while pulling through a wall mart parking lot. The truck rear tire picked up a quarter, flung it up and at 20 mph, took out the center window. I hadn't put up the front cover because I was "just going a couple miles."
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few comments: I have used a number of various setting tools for the snaps, including commercial grade when I helped my sailmaker friends out. The anvil/setter is a bit crude will work--and will deform slightly the button. I have owned and used one of the Vise Grip sets for over 40 years and have set hundreds of the snaps with them.

On the corners I would cut a patch the same radius as the corner, and then slip a piece of 6 to 8 oz dacron between the pieces of canvas. I would put binding tape around all of the edges.

My current front window cover is just single Sunbrella--and so far so good--probably have towed C Dories over 15,000 miles or more with no window damage...but the padded would be better.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding putting the front cover on the inside, I was thinking of the big trawlers that never get towed. Their cover is always on the outside and I've never figured out why. At night, it's a lot easier to put it on from the inside. And I wish I had an explanation for that.

Having a cover over the front windows during towing has never occurred to me and I've been towing boats for (lets see, that one then that,) OK, 40 years. The ones with glass in the front have been pretty high. And that includes the c-Dory 25. I've never had a rock reach up there. Been through one hailstorm coming back from the Great Lakes and that hammered everything including the truck. I wished for a cover over everything. For the 22 which is closer to the ground, rocks may be a worry, and the extra cloth up front should help. Your choice.

Anyway the snaps and tool is good advice.

Boris
Jake B

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the feedback I looked on defenders web site but they seem to be a bit higher in $. I like defender I have used them a few times in the past.

All the coverings we are making right now will go on the inside of the boat. I had not really thought about covering the outside while in tow but seems to be a good idea and will look into making some of those as well.

I am first going to price out how much the canvas shop here in town will charge to pop them in for me. I just don't see needing the tool after this project. so if its reasonable I will go that way. If not I will look more into the different tools. thanks again for all the info and links. looking forward to having these made.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
Regarding putting the front cover on the inside, I was thinking of the big trawlers that never get towed. Their cover is always on the outside and I've never figured out why. At night, it's a lot easier to put it on from the inside. And I wish I had an explanation

Boris

Most of those BIG boats have the covers on while unattended b/c of the teak trim that many of them have. It's not only at night!

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: