The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cleaning V-Berth fabric covers?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
browntdb

City/Region: Salem
State or Province: OR
Photos: Tortuga Del Mar
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Cleaning V-Berth fabric covers? Reply with quote

I am going to replace the foam in my 2000 CD 22 V-Berth. The fabric over the foam insert has a zipper all the way around it. It is the factory installed pad and cover. How is the best way to clean the cover before putting new foam in it?

My local dry cleaner was hesitant to clean it thinking the solvent might hurt the nylon zippers.

Thanks,

Terry
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your cushion covers are the usual ones, then I believe they are made with the "basic" flavor of Sunbrella (i.e. not any of the special or fancy interior/upholstery variations). Here is a care and cleaning guide from the Sunbrella folks:

http://www.sunbrella.com/en/how/cleaning/index.php
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our boat upholstery was in pretty good shape, but had a slight moldy canvas tent smell and a few black mold specks when we purchased it. For the berth, I unzipped the cover and hand washed it in our bath tub with a detergent and hung dry. I did that to all cushions that zipped off. For the cushion covers that did not zip off, I used some canned foam upholstery cleaner from turtle wax. I've been pleased with the results of both techniques, but the zip offs were a lot less effort to deal with.
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before turning the TC over to the new owners, we took the covers off the mattress halves and washed them in the washing machine! Cold water wash. Came out fine with no shrinkage.

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
browntdb

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice. This is what I ended up doing: I decided to replace all the old foam in all cushions because of the odor each had absorbed over time. I took the covers off of the cushions that had zippers. I took the smaller V-Berth cushion that is stapled to a plywood base and the seat cushions that are likewise stapled to a plywood base to a local foam supplier who removed the outer fabric for foam replacement.

I took those covers that had been stapled to their bases and reversed the fabric and snipped off all the loose ends that protruded from the seams.

Next I washed all covers on delicate cycle with cold water using the Woolite detergent for colored fabrics. Then allowed them to air dry.

The covers came out beautifully and the old foam smell that permeated the fabric was replaced with the fresh Woolite smell.

I will take all the covers back to he foam supplier to reassemble everything.

I have used our local foam supplier for many projects and have learned a great deal about foam and the difference between cheap foam and high quality foam of various densities. I was able to choose the exact density of the foam I needed for this project.

Terry
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the above have some good suggestions. I used to use pure ivory flakes, with a little bleach. Also the Woolite. I have always hand washed the covers, but some do feel that the machine washing is fine.

Today we have the 303 fabric cleaner, and that is what I use. I also do use dilute bleach, to get rid of any residual mold.

After cleaning and drying, I then spray with 303 fabric protector.

I was told a couple of weeks ago that Sunbrella now is made in China. My source is a very reliable person, and for the use I wanted he suggested Stattler marine fabric. This is made in Austria, and he felt that both the weave and the material was now superior for Sunbrella.

The only issue I would be concerned about with in browntdb's case is the taking "Those covers that had been stapled to their bases and reversed the fabric and snipped off all the loose ends that protruded from the seams." Was there piping around the seams? I would be concerned that the fabric was just single or even double sewn, and the edges may begin to pull out.

Let us know how this works out.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
browntdb

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just reversed the fabric to cut the threads but then turned it the correct way so that the finished side will be out when the foam is installed.
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying! That would be proper. Some folks will seal the edges of the fabric with a hot knife, I have also seen hot glue or silicon used. I prefer the hot knife approach...
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Sunbrella uphol. cleaning Reply with quote

My Sunbrella covered helmsman seats are dirty from my dirty hands grabbing them when entering the cabin. My hands have fish "mung", herring oil etc on them.
I tried several fabric cleaners w/o any success including scrubbing with a brush.

Any more good suggestions on how to clean them?????

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the Sunbrella Stain removal chart:
http://www.sunbrella.com/en/pdf/stain-chart.pdf

They use a product series called "CARBONA STAIN DEVI" and the chart gives the number of that product to use. I have never tried this, but I would go by those directions.
Bill K

City/Region: Toledo
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: NIC'L PIC'L
Photos: NIC'L PIC'L
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, very useful chart for my other boat.

Bill Kelleher

thataway wrote:
Here is the Sunbrella Stain removal chart:
http://www.sunbrella.com/en/pdf/stain-chart.pdf

They use a product series called "CARBONA STAIN DEVI" and the chart gives the number of that product to use. I have never tried this, but I would go by those directions.

thataway

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several other products bear mentioning:
1. "Incredible Stain remover" We get it at "Bed Bath and Beyond locally. It is available at Amazon.com. An antique restorer told us about it, and we have used it for many stains which we could not get out. It works well on Sunbrella--we keep a bottle on the boat and RV.

2. Bar Keeper's Friend--usually used on tile and fiberglass--mildly abrasive. I have used it on Sunbrella without adverse results

3. GoJo Pumice hand cleaner--I keep a gallon jug by the shop wash basin. Cleans all sorts of things. I just tried it on a scrap of Sunbrella, and it did not discolor it. So that is another "Tool" in the chest...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: