The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

State of the (Marinaut) Business Report
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad someone revieved this threat. It's a good opportunity to wish you and the Marinaut and EQ staff all the best.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chimoii wrote:
Hi Les.

I have an interest in how the market is moving for smaller boats like the CD and the Marinauts . My impression is that the GFC and the aging of the boomers moved the market up the line so that boats in the 150k range (think Ranger or Cutwater) are finding a much easier time of it. Would you agree?

Hi,

If I had the ability to answer that question with assurance and authority I'd already be retired and sailing in tropical waters! Smile

"The Market" is an incredibly difficult thing to really know. As a dealer/builder you look at what data you can get, review your personal experience, dig deep into your soul, then make the best choice you can.

That said, I don't know that I agree with that analysis. It's almost a forgone conclusion that it's the Boomer generation that are purchasing boats like the Ranger Tug but they're also purchasing boats like the Marinaut. I don't think one precludes the other. A corollary in the RV business is that more affluent Boomers do purchase 40' diesel pusher motorhomes but the sales of small efficient motorhomes (the so-called B+ and the Class C's based on the Sprinter chassis) are also selling strongly, to Boomers.

A 25' boat on a trailer at 8,000 to 10,000 pounds is a lot of boat to deal with, more than a lot of us older (yes, myself included) folks want to deal with on a continual basis. If you live on the water or can have your boat dry stored and launched on demand (forklift, travel lift, or sling) a boat that size is nice but there are a limited number of folks that have a dock at their home, dry launch facilities that can handle a 25-footer are not everywhere, and keeping a boat in a marina has it's own issues (says the guy with a boat in a marina).

Many folks also find they don't want to own or drive the size vehicle it takes to tow a larger boat. Many would like to use their Grand Cherokee, or Toyota Sequoia, and such; they'll handle a 22-footer nicely but not the average 25-footer.

It's also hard to deny the sales pyramid, which simply shows that the more expensive something is, the less of them are sold. Now this isn't iron clad by any means but it's a safe bet to say that there are a lot more folks that can afford a $75,000 boat than a $150,000 boat. And oft times, since we seem to be pretty active these days, the person that can afford the $150,000 boat decides they'd rather have a $75,000 boat and a $75,000 RV so they have choices all year. Finally, there are a lot of folks that feel they only need what the need; that is, if they can be happy with a 22-footer why would you buy a 25-footer. I tend to be in this group, money aside, I just don't want the higher initial cost, the higher running costs, the higher maintenance costs, and the inherent reduction of choices.

What I really think happens between a 22-footer and a 25-footer is the head (bathroom). More than anything I've come to believe that's the defining choice; you're either a person/couple that's perfectly happy with a portable toilet and convertible spaces in which to use it, or you must have a separate and enclosed room for it. This choice is really only evident at this particular juncture of boat sizes; under about 24' it's very difficult to get an enclosed head compartment unless you're willing to give up a galley or a dinette (or a combination), over 24' you have the length necessary to accommodate the galley, a dinette, and a head compartment.

So it comes full circle I suppose. It does seem that the aging Boomer generation might be more likely to purchase a 25' + boat, because that's the demographic that's most likely to insist on an enclosed toilet space and it takes that size boat to get it.

I don't think it's appropriate to say that boats in the 150K are having an easier time of it (in the market). I think specifically that Ranger/Cutwater is doing very well but that's not the same as saying the general market (for the same cost/size boat) is also doing well. The credit is really due to Ranger for their marketing prowess and abilities, the credit really doesn't belong to the market in general since a lot of companies that build that size/cost boat are still struggling (or out).

Of course, this is all just personal opinion...but you knew that!

Les

www.marinautboats.com

Last edited by Les Lampman on Sat May 31, 2014 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Les Lampman
Dealer

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dotnmarty wrote:
Glad someone revieved this threat. It's a good opportunity to wish you and the Marinaut and EQ staff all the best.

Ohhhhh Shocked

Now there's a threat?

Laughing
Les Lampman
Dealer

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
Hi, Les! I have been doing some work for the City of Oak Harbor, and I almost turned off onto Cornet Bay Road on my way back home yesterday but was running a little late so decided not to. Next time! Love to see a Marinaut in progress!

Sorry we missed you Pat. Stop by when you can, I'd love to show you what we're up to.

Beer
AK Angler

City/Region: South Central
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Rod Holder
Photos: Rod Holder
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les Lampman wrote:
What I really think happens between a 22-footer and a 25-footer is the head (bathroom). More than anything I've come to believe that's the defining choice; you're either a person/couple that's perfectly happy with a portable toilet and convertible spaces in which to use it, or you must have a separate and enclosed room for it. This choice is really only evident at this particular juncture of boat sizes; under about 24' it's very difficult to get an enclosed head compartment unless you're willing to give up a galley or a dinette (or a combination), over 24' you have the length necessary to accommodate the galley, a dinette, and a head compartment.

Les

Based on my personal purchase decisions, I think that statement is spot on. My recent purchase of a 26-foot Cape Cruiser bears that out. The 23-footer would have been sufficient, as would have the Marinaut 215, except for the lack of an installed head. What I really wanted was a Marinaut 245, but that design was scuttled a few years ago, and the CC-26 is likely my last boat. If we hadn't found this one for such a great price, it's possible that we would have eventually moved up to the 22-24 foot class from the 17-foot Arima we've been cruising in for the last 8 years. But, since it would have been an intermediate step to getting a boat with a head, it's doubtful that we would have bought new.

There really seems to be a definite break in market forces at about the 24-foot length.

89CD16A- The Navicula has been sold...
cwthayer

City/Region: Anchorage
Vessel Name: Miz Josie
Photos: Miss Josie
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Need a favor Reply with quote

I saw your recent post about your new 26 CC. I am also in the market for a 26 Venture and would like my wife to view one without flying out of state. Would yours be available to look at for 10 minutes or so? I am located in Anchorage.

My number is 223-8270

Thanks....
AK Angler

City/Region: South Central
Vessel Name: Rod Holder
Photos: Rod Holder
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cwthayer - I sent you a PM.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les Lampman wrote:
dotnmarty wrote:

Ohhhhh Shocked

Now there's a threat?

Laughing

Hi Les,

To go along with your point about the break between the 22-23 and the 25-26 sizes. There was a short article in BOAT US mag just in the last two issues about the boating market. The largest growing segment is in your neighborhood (length bracket) 20 to 26, and IIRC the % of boats on the water was about 90% of them are in that size bracket.

And for me too, the ONLY reason to go up from the 22 would be for enclosed head space. (Now make that an "AirHead" and I'm in Mr. Green Confused Laughing

Thanks for keeping us posted along the way, and here's wishing you the best success.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: