The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Circumnavigating Vancouver Island
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should rename you Sam Waterman

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20dauntless wrote:
I'm now in Walters Cove. I've had a wonderful couple of days anchored out at Columbia Cove and then the Bunsby Islands. Spectacular country, and way different from cruising on the "inside."

Rounding Brooks Peninsula was a non-event. Conditions were calm, but for a small ground swell. Heavy mist made for limited visibility and I really appreciated radar and good chart plotters.

Roger, I'm not much of a fisherman. Recreational fishing is a big deal up here, though, and everyone that tries seems to catch a ton of fish. Maybe I'll get into fishing one of these years...

All equipment is performing well. I had one scare with the Wallas, but it's worked perfectly for the last couple of days.

Sam - you don't need a lot of gear to get into fishing especially in an area like the one you are cruising at the current time. When fish are abundant, some simple gear will catch plenty. Just a rod and reel, a banana weight and a spoon or two should allow you to catch coho. One advantage of fishing just a little, it that it provides protein you don't need to buy on extended trips.

20dauntless

City/Region: Mercer Island and Decatur Island
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Retriever and Nordic Tug 37
Photos: Retriever
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in Walters Cove. It's been rainy and windy the past few days. Poked the bow out today (gale warning, gusting to 35 knots) and it was ugly!

Friday looks like it'll be calm and I'll head south again.

My Wallas died today. Slow ignition, lots of smoke, wouldn't stay lit. I'd seen this before and suspected it was sooted up inside. I pulled it out of the counter and opened it up. Tons of soot. After attacking it with a a wire brush, vacuuming the soot out, and replacing the mat, I reinstalled it. It worked! Whew...

Last time it took 300 hours to soot up. Not sure how many hours this time, but basically just last summer and this summer so far. Not the most reliable piece of equipment...

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam, Good on you for the Wallas fix. Know what caused the sooting up? Looks like you should have some weather improving through the weekend.
Travel safe and keep the cruise going.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

20dauntless

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm anchored near Tofino and my cell phone has come buzzing back to life.

Stefan, on Ornery Rover, another CD22, spotted me in Friendly Cove a few days ago and stopped by. He's out fishing with his brother and dad for a few days. Most of the boats I've seen on the west coast are in the 20-25 foot range, all out here fishing.

The last several weeks have been great. Sunshine every day! But a high pressure system has been bringing gales every day, making boating on the outside a bit challenging.

I left Friendly Cove to go around Estevan Point with a forecast for NW winds 25-35 knots and 3-4 meter seas. The winds were more like 15 knots with seas at 2-3 meters with some bigger waves thrown in. Luckily they were on the beam or stern. Our boats sure surf well! Unfortunately, no pictures...I was too busy with the throttle. These ocean swells are way bigger than what any of us normally find on the inside, but they're nowhere near as uncomfortable as a close, 3-4 foot chop.

More blog posts later when I have better internet in Tofino.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam

Your adventure has & is keeping me checking your spot location frequently, some days several times a day. It is always interesting seeing where you choose to anchor for the night or wait for improving weather. I'm not surprised to see you several times choosing to anchor in the same places I would have chose. It's great to be able to follow along with you. I sure admire you doing this adventure especially single handed.

Perhaps its to early to be thinking about it now, but following this, I'd sure like to read an account of your exploring the outside of Baranof & Chichagof Islands. I think the conditions would be very similar to the outside of Vancouver Island, just no towns, lodges & fewer other boats.

Jay

AJF

City/Region: Hamlet of Mt. Lorne near Whitehorse
State or Province: YT
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always enjoyed cruising the outside of Baranof & Chichagof and Prince of Wales Islands. But the one thing that would always bring me to a standstill was the heavy fog that could set in along these coastlines. I'm curious to know if you have had any heavy fog along the outside of Vancouver Island on this trip.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam,

Nice to get to follow along. Your pictures are great. Understand no pix in the big waves but the C-Dorys do surf well, like you say.

Again, Thanks for doing that trip and sharing so much.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam,

As I continue to follow your web site & SPOT my respect & admiration for you & this years endeavor continuous to grow. Your not doing just a circumnavigation of Vancouver Island, which in its self in a 22 foot C-Dory is quite an accomplishment & adventure, especially being solo, but included is a remarkable exploration of the many inlets & anchorages. You really have me tuned into your SPOT map & blog & feel very fortunate to do so. Both your writing & photos are exceptional & you have my sincere gratitude for their sharing.

Jay
20dauntless

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Ucluelet now, after spending the last several days in Barkley Sound. I just updated the blog with the last many days.

Terry, from Thalassa, kindly introduced me to his friends who have a cabin in Barkley Sound. I stayed a night at their place and had a great time. Thanks Terry!

Jay, thanks for the compliments. I hopr JoLee is recovering well and you'll be back on the water soon. The outside of Baranof and Chichagof are high on my list of places to explore. Definitely on my next trip to Alaska! Haida Gwaii (range is an issue) and the outside of BC's central coast are also on the list. So many amazing places to see and experience!
20dauntless

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also saw Chromer on Checkpoint II a couple of days ago. He was out fishing when I cruised by...it sounded like the fishing has been slow..hopefully you've had a good trip to Barkley Sound nonetheless!
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Mackeral! If you haven't done it yet, go read Sam's latest blog entry. All I can say is I'm glad he's meeting mom tomorrow. By the way, that Chromer is everywhere! Looked for you on the lake yesterday, but it looks like you had other fish to fry.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam,

Jolee continues to improve & each days improvement makes another Alaska Cruise next year more likely.

We too have found our encounters with grey & humpback whales in some settings, perhaps best said, unsettling, but very close, especially right under the boat in thick fog, all alone like you it would be especially so. In the C-Dory we have had more very close encounters with the humpbacks then greys, though with the greys in our experiences being maybe more spooky due to their being in the waters on the outside of Chichagof Island & very close off shore as we were entering & exiting remote harbors & passages, sometimes in fog or rougher water than preferred.

As for motors off or on in conditions where that choice can be made, we left them on at idle, hoping it would give the whales another reference point of just where we were in relation to them. It's certainly a heart rever when you look down under a small boat & see only the dark surface of a whale underneath.

Our all time whale experience was during a Alaska & Canada trip exploring remote areas in a 12.5 foot RIB. While approximately half way between Skagway & Haines, Alaska we had a humpback whale raise up with us positioned in the water between its back & tail & could almost look directly into the blow hole as the tail entered the water on the other side & slipped underneath us.

Jay
ShellBack

City/Region: Victoria
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Thalassa
Photos: Thalassa
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Sam. Glad you connected with John & Bev. They do have one of the great spots on our little planet. I have seen that moon many times on the West Coast but the pic from from the Pinkerton's is amazing and now sits as our background. Keep em coming.
T
Mike_J

City/Region: Victoria, BC
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Natural C-lection
Photos: Natural C-lection
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sam, do you know of any way to view an archive of your SPOT track points. On the main page it seems to only go back about 6 days... I missed two weeks while I was in Peru and would love to review your track in more detail. heading up to the Tofino area next week in Natural C-lection to fish.
When are you swinging by Victoria (if you are going to be on this side of the strait)?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: