The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Want Current Info on Columbia & Snake rivers and Chelan
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Want Current Info on Columbia & Snake rivers and Chelan Reply with quote

I am looking at doing some Central Washington cruising and am looking for ideas and current information on some of the areas on the Mid Columbia, like Hanford Reach on the Columbia, Dwarshak Reservoir in Idaho off the Snake, or up on Lake Chelan in the North Cascades.

Mostly looking for ideas to make a decision on which way to go. Have read all of El and Bill's travels, and have gone through much of the popular media stuff, Chamber and dotgov and now I'm looking for personal experience, choice motivators and the practical stuff ("like we got there and there was no dock at the ramp") sort of things.

Like, the possibility of 10ft fluctuations in river elevations below Priest Rapids Dam 51 miles up river from Tri-Cities.

Like 1/3rd of the way uplake on Chelan, there was no more Navionics charting.

If you went there, what did you use for charting? Were the destination floats in Dwarshak still there?

Would you go there, or not, and why.

Just wanting to run my boat in non-salt water for a few days Laughing

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

nimrod

City/Region: Mount Vernon
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: 'Berta's Boy
Photos: 'Berta's Boy
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the Hanford Reach there are local guide services out of the Tri-Cities that go up there, you might be able to get info from them.

On lake Chelan, once you get past 25 mile Creek, there aren't two many places to dock and even fewer (if any) to anchor, it's too steep of drop-off from shore. Topographic and/or USFS maps will tell you where the docks are. Also, the wind pretty much always blows down-lake in the afternoons-early evenings during the summer. You could get local knowledge by contacting the folks who run the Lady of the Lake. They run to Stehekin daily during spring-summer-fall and know the shorelines.

jd
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The currents on the rivers will be highly dependent on things like - rainfall, temperature (in the spring in particular as it can drive snow melt), tides when your near the mouth and how much water the power companies are letting over the damn dams at the time. Bottom line, the vary from day to day and hour to hour sometimes. Since the dams are for the most part unpredictable, you just take what you get in terms of current.

I've been up Chelan a few times but not on my own boat. As was mentioned, once your up lake aways, there's not a lot of places to get out of the weather/wind or anchor. However, the north end is beautiful and there's dock space that's rarely full. The bay up there is fairly shallow and you could anchor out. There's a small store, a nice campground and some decent cabins in Stehekin. It's a great place to spend a couple of days.

kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The destination docks at Dwhorshak are there yearlong. No camping is allowed on the docks themselves, but you can overnight in the boat. We have never needed to share with another boat overnight, even on the busiest weekends like 4th of July. All of the launch facilities are great. We enjoyed a nice day there last week.

We have only been on the Snake River below Clarkston, down to the first lock. There are several nice launches between Lewiston and Clarkston area. Hope this helps. ken
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, for the replies. This is what I am looking for.

Ken, How are the approaches to, and the launch ramps at Dwarshak? It is sounding very appealing.

Roger, From what I can find, there is up to a 10 ft fluctuation between high and low water, but I have not been able to find if that is an annual range, or overnight. For instance, there are comments about the "riffles" about 3 miles below the Priest Rapids dam, about 50 miles up river from Richland. I have found reports of tour boats getting up to the dam, so still looking for "local info" which is why I am looking here Wink

It looks like the tour boats are jet sled types and the literature says they are shallow draft. Wonder if their shallow draft is =/> than my preferred 2.5 feet?

nimrod jd, Lake Chelan is a special treat. Need a lllllooonnnnnnngggggggggg anchor rode for that one. I am looking for info on the "forest camps" along the shore re dock available. I have only been to one that I remember, Deer Point, and seem to remember a dock, maybe 20 feet long. Wondering if that is representative of the other camp sites, which I think there are several, along the way uplake. I know there is anchorage at Stehikin, but it is pretty exposed.

Still Researching Smile

Harvey
SleepyCMoon
potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dworshak is a long ride down the highway to get to the top of the ramp. But, that body of water is stunning. Expect some pretty hot temps in mid summer, but nights still seem to cool off. Coho Salmon are the best. Never over nighted away from the marina area, but I didn't have a boat at the time for overnighting. You will love Dworshak.

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
kennharriet

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, This link should have the information your need. http://dworshak.org/
We typically use the Big Eddy Launch site as it is only 15 min. from Orofino on good road. All of the Corp of Engineers launches and the major state park launches are high end engineered concrete facilities. The Big Eddy Marina is the only fuel on the lake.

All of the destination docks are in deep water, 300-500 ft. There are several boat to only campsites, in addition to the regular state park campgrounds. Dwhorshak is family oriented with a Sherriffs Office boat patrol in addition to a fire patrol boat from the Clearwater Potlatch Timber Protection Association.

Lots of folks were fishing for Kokanee last week. Dwhorshak also holds the state record for bass. It is the North Fork of the Clearwter River where some of the last log drives took place. The old Disney movie, Charley the Lonesome Lion was filmed in the area.

Chuck and Penny live in the area and may chime in.
kennharriet

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charley the Lonesome Cougar.
Chester

City/Region: home
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, IIRC our annual Washington state moorage permit covered mooring fees at the state docks at Steheken and 25 Mile campground.
The other docks such as Safety Harbor require some other sort of permit which I don't recall at this time.
Steve
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kennharriet,

Thanks for the link to Dwarshak. WOW, lots of really good info there, and it looks like a pretty neat place.

Hope I get to see it soon.

Steve,

I knew the State Park pass would be good at 25 Mile SP, but I thought the park uplake was under National Park control. Thanks for that tidbit too.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey -

The geology of Lake Dworshak is fascinating. AND it is a beautiful reservoir. We heartily recommend a visit. Here is the geologic tale and photos.

http://cruisingamerica-halcyondays.com/dwor.htm#top

hardee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El & Bill,

Thanks friends, for that link. This may not be a surprise, but just in case, Your site was the first place I went when I started looking for some new cruising territory. Thank you for all your wonderful information and for blazing so many trails. You two are special.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon
hardee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received my order from "FishnMaps" and they have pretty details info on the Columbia and Snake. (From the junction up to Priest Rapids dam on the Columbia and up to Lewiston on the Snake. These are fishing maps, but the are pretty details as to underwater structure, shoal etc. Also checking on the Evergreen Press's River Atlas of teh Columbia, Snake and Willamette rivers.

Curious if anyone has taken a C-Dory up the Columbia from Kennewick, Pasco or Richland to or towards the Priest Rapids dam?

Should be interesting geography and some interesting navigational challenges.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRINGING THIS BACK IN 2014 FOR CONSIDERATION

I am thinking of spending some time in either Lake Chelan or Roosevelt this summer some time. I have been on Chelan many times, but not in the C-Dory. I'm wondering if anyone has spent time on both, and would like to hear some pros and cons for either.

Would you go back to ????? and why or why not? What was the best part and what should be avoided?

I will probably only be able to go to one this summer, so which one should it be, and why.

If I were going to Chelan, I would probably launch from 25 Mile Creek State Park, having the option to go down lake first, for a day trip, return to camp for the night, and then up lake for a few days. The weather there is pretty consistent -- the down lake blow. Is there comparable consideration to be made on Roosevelt? What other concerns are there on Roosevelt that might be different from Chelan, if there are any?

Thoughts?? Thanks Hot

Harvey
SleepyCMoon
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started my career living east of the mountains and have spent some time boating at both places. We preferred Lake Roosevelt and would have at least one big trip there each summer.

Lake Roosevelt is a much different experience IMO to Lake Chelan. Lake Chelan is beautiful, especially the upper lake but not as care free for boating. It is a more popular destination for vacationers/west siders so the feel is a bit more busy. As was said before, the wind always picks up in the afternoon funneling over the pass and through the canyon that is the lake. There is very few places to hide out if the eind waves pick up. Theres no anchorage and limited docks to tie off to.

Roosevelt on the other hand feels huge. Around every corner is another protective cove or inlet to explore. The beaches are beautiful white sand, so we would just pull the boat up on the beach and explore or relax. There can be water fluctuations as they let water out of grand coulee dam, so be aware. Its probably wise to overnight with at least a couple feet of water under the boat. We woke up one morning to a partially dry boat and needed the help of a couple of strong guys to push off the sand. For most of the lake I have explored, the north or western shores are on the tribal reservation and the south or eastern shores are public. There are different rules for each side. You cannot have beach fires on the tribal side, they will fine you if you are caught. You can boat camp basically anywhere you want on the lake as far as I know. We would launch at either Spring Canyon camp ground or Keller Ferry. There is a marina at Keller ferry. Both facilities are good and have plenty of truck and trailer parking. The lake is also slow to fill. Early in the season it will not have much water in it. By mid summer it is full. I am not sure when they fill it up but more than once we went and the lake was very low. Spring Canyon has the longest boat ramp I have ever seen to accomodate this. We backed down the ramp for what seemed like miles to get the boat in while the lake was still low.

Were hoping to get over there this summer for a week or long weekend to explore and relax on the those white sandy beaches. Roosevelt also has some great kokanee fishing. They are delicous!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: