View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Memorial Day Weekend Plans? Reply with quote

Ah yes, Memorial Day! OK, here goes. Launch Friday afternoon at Squalicum Harbor in Bellingham, a short motor over to Inati Cove on Lummi Island, and anchor there if possible Friday night. If not, on to Matia Cove, been there and like it a lot. Saturday on to Tumbo Island, meet up with a friend from Victoria, and I'll bet David will be there on Anna Leigh (all comers welcome of course). Looks like we'll have to go to Bedwell to clear customs and backtrack to Tumbo. Probably spend Saturday night at Tumbo, not really sure. Tumbo is right off Saturna, northwest of Sucia and almost due west of Patos, Sunday, Sunday night, Monday all wide open for suggestions! I would like to get to Pirate's Cove only because we intended to go there on our Gulf Islands jaunt last summer and didn't make it...

Bess-C wrote:

Congratulations Pat & Patty,
We're glad to see that Daydream is finally home. We look forward to boating with you and your new 25 for many years. Hope to see you out there on Memorial Day weekend.
Lyle & Shelley

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weekend Warriors:

Being retired, on three day weekends, we're usually on Holiday Plan A, not Plan B:

Plan A- AVOID the crowds and stay away from the launch ramps, marinas, fishing grounds, and anywhere else where the 3 day weekend crazies turn everything into chaos. Instead, go out the week days before or after the weekend when you can pretty much have the facilities and water all to yourself.

Plan B- BRAVE the crowds, novice boaters, loud revelers, drunks, and others who are trapped in the mess and see what misfortune comes your way! Working 5 days a week, you're pretty much stuck here until you retire and can switch to Plan A.

For the past thirty years, we have actually been sailboat racing on Whiskeytown Lake on Memorial Day weekend, so we've actually been on Plan B to be with our friends and accommodate working.

But now, in retirement, and having given up the sailboat racing, we're going to go to go investigate a Memorial Day Weekend activity that's always fascinated me, Drag Boat Racing.

They've been having a Red Bluff Drag Boat Nitro Nationals just a few miles down I-5 for quite a few years now, and I'm anxious to see the boats and see how they run. Thousands of horsepower and speeds of over 150 mph in 1/4 mile should be a change from the sedate pace of both sailboats and C-Dorys!

Crowds, parking lots, dust, heat, nitro fumes, incredible noise, women in bikinis, and whatever else wanders into the picture, we'll be mixed back in with the working stiffs on this one! Should at lest be an interesting change of pace!!! Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are leaving friday afternoon for bedwell harbor to pass customs and then depending on what time it is we will head as far north before sunset as we can. Any ideas for good stops? In the morning saturday its up to nanimo and then across whisty golf, which should be closed( i will call), and on up to priness louisa inlet for the night saturday. If the weather is flat and calm I may cut thru active pass and then across instead of to nanimo, pros cons. sunday and monday will be working are way back slowly and stopping a lot . a hike into malibu rapids is on the list, sunday night we will stop in secret cove i think. we dont have to be back until tuesday night. If any one knows about a "must see" in these areas let me know. We are big in to history and grand views, and good food. Not shopping. Maybe the dingy dock pub on monday night for the band. Any other places to dance with moorage??
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Joe, we prefer his Plan B. I birdwatch on holidays since we get huge flocks of Full Breasted Zonies flying in for the weekend from places like Phoenix and Yuma.

Thongwatch Patrol requires polarized dark sunglasses, and is somewhat more rewarding at sites like Mission Bay and Ski Island.

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you guys (other than Starcraft Tom, who needs a new username now) don't have any real plans for the holiday weekend, eh? Too bad. We'll hoist one to you each evening at sunset, first at Inati Cove, Lummi Island, and then at Tumbo Island and Pirate's Cove, De Courcy Island, in the Canadian Gulf Islands...getting the boat loaded up for the first real outing on the new Daydream (three and a half hours on Lake Washington hardly counts), three nights out, Honda generator, fridge, hot water, shower, Patty may buy the little microwave tomorrow (I can SEE Bill Fiero just rolling his eyes here) Rolling Eyes ...Not to worry, this does NOT lead to a 32' Bayliner!

Last edited by Pat Anderson on Thu May 26, 2005 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Waterball

City/Region: Seward, Alaska
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1981
Vessel Name: Waterball
Photos: Waterball
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good vessel Waterball plans a quite trip away from the crowds on the vast green waters of Kenai Lake. Plan to leave Ptarmigan campground launch this evening. I've learned that its important to get to the few water access only camping spots earlly in the week. I cant say how much I enjoy this lake for boat/camping. The three main spots on the lake have a great sandy beach for beaching, picnic tables, fire pits with grills, and most importantly outhouses. I'm going to brave the launch ramp in Seward later this weekend for some Halibut fishing. I hope that the weather holds out for us on the Kenai, it doesnt look great. I hope everyone enjoys your Memorial Day weekend, stay safe.
Shaun

Sea Angel

City/Region: Virginia Beach, VA
State or Province: VA
Photos: Sea Angel
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Memorial Day Weekend Plans. Reply with quote

Hi All fm the Right Coast..;
Sat.-[or alternate Mon.]-We are going to try for the first time to dodge the B's. (boats) while traveling from Virginia Beach, Lynnhaven area,VA., to Norfolk Harbor, and return, to see the replica(all wood) Schooner Virginia before she is certified by the CG and commissioned.

The following weekend(3,4, & 5 June) is Harborfeast Weekend in Norfolk. (This is one of those places to avoid unless you are a party party animal.) During that time the Captain of the Port will have the port closed for large boat traffic. This time period varies according to activities like military demos, and fireworks, but it could be said you can just about walk across the river during these weekend activity periods. There will be so many activities that if it is water related, you will find it there. So pass through the area before, noon Fri., OR after the weekend if you want to travel the ICW. Who knows, this may make for a great gathering in the future.

The fishing, I'm told, has been great out by the Ches. Bay Bridge Tunnel, First Island. I don't fish, but like to hang out near the bridge for the sights, if I'm not in some creek exploring. Smile

I want to wish everyone a safe and healthy Memorial Day weekend. Sorry I can't make the MD gathering, but hope to next year, less there be something in the fall before then. TV land must keep on playing- news, commercials and soaps, they pay the bills. Soooo... stay safe....

73's

CBRAT #208
2005 CD25 #075 SEA ANGEL (SOLD)
USCGAUX (RET), USN(RET)
Broadcast TV ENG(RET)
ka1rx@verizon.net
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,
Here in New England, we have only one thing to do. Stay out of the rain.

Fred Heap

El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in the Upper Chesapeake, there is an old tradition -- the Chestertown Tea Party. This celebrates the May 23, 1774 uprising by locals protesting unfair taxation by Mother England. They dumped a cargo of tea from the hold of a British vessel, and this is now reenacted every Memorial Day. There's good old-fashioned Eastern Shore cooking, parades, street craft sales, demonstrations and good parties. So, we crossed the Chesapeake this am and plan to celebrate with a few other C-Dorys tomorrow.
Bess-C

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Bess-C
Photos: Bess-C
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a local celebration at Deer Harbor on Orcas Island this weekend. There will be an art show on the docks of the Deer Harbor Marina on Sunday. We're going to moor there on Saturday and Sunday nights and enjoy the festivities. If any of you are in that area this weekend, look us up. We'll be the little blue 25 C-Dory tucked in amongst the 50-110 footers. Brock, do you have a yachting cap that I can borrow?
Lyle

17 Center Console C-Dory 10/16
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patty here. We stayed at the Deer Harbor marina once, and you are SO right. We were sandwiched in amongst giants. But you know what? They weren't having any more fun!!
R-Matey

City/Region: Bow
Vessel Name: R-Matey
Photos: R-Matey
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
first at Inati Cove, Lummi Island, and then at Tumbo Island and Pirate's Cove, De Courcy Island, in the Canadian Gulf Islands...

Pat & Patty, Thought you'd like to know about the article in the Thursday edition of the Bellingham Herald concerning Inati Bay. The headline read "Inati Bay off limits to boaters" Sad Apparently only members of the Bellingham Yacht Club will be able to use it.

The third paragraph:

"The restriction includes both the property on shore and
anchorage in Inati Bay itself. Most underwater property
in Washington state is owned by the state & managed by
the Dept. of Natural Resources, but Lummi Island Land
Co. can trace its ownership of the bay to territorial times"

Misc. from Other paragraphs:

The yacht club has put up signs warning other boaters of
the new policy, etc.

Tom Evans, commodore of the Squalicum Yacht Club, said
that he didn't question Lummi Island Land Co.' right to
restrict use of its property on shore. He does question the
the company's claim to ownership in the bay itself, beyond
the low tide line.

There's always a chance that the use of the inlet has changed since yesterday. Newspaper headlines sometimes do that and a lot of folks are ticked off Thumbs Down Anyway, wishing you a great weekend. Might see you out there. Say, isn't this weather the greatest Thumbs Up

Ruth & Joe
R-Matey
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patty here. Thanks for the heads-up. We'll just go directly to Blind Island then. Austin will have a friend with him and we want to boot them off the boat. Blind Island has about 4 campsites and we'll hope to catch one for them.
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I too question their claim of ownership below the ordinary high water mark - maybe we'll have to sue the bastards! not this weekend however...

R-Matey wrote:

Pat & Patty, Thought you'd like to know about the article in the Thursday edition of the Bellingham Herald concerning Inati Bay. The headline read "Inati Bay off limits to boaters" Sad Apparently only members of the Bellingham Yacht Club will be able to use it.

The third paragraph:

"The restriction includes both the property on shore and
anchorage in Inati Bay itself. Most underwater property
in Washington state is owned by the state & managed by
the Dept. of Natural Resources, but Lummi Island Land
Co. can trace its ownership of the bay to territorial times"

Misc. from Other paragraphs:

The yacht club has put up signs warning other boaters of
the new policy, etc.

Tom Evans, commodore of the Squalicum Yacht Club, said
that he didn't question Lummi Island Land Co.' right to
restrict use of its property on shore. He does question the
the company's claim to ownership in the bay itself, beyond
the low tide line.

There's always a chance that the use of the inlet has changed since yesterday. Newspaper headlines sometimes do that and a lot of folks are ticked off Thumbs Down Anyway, wishing you a great weekend. Might see you out there. Say, isn't this weather the greatest Thumbs Up

Ruth & Joe
R-Matey
Rock-C

City/Region: Salem
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: Rock-C
Photos: Rock-C
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat & Patty
How about a rundown on Daydream's Most excellent Adventure. Where did you go, what did you see, are you ready to go again?

And how about Tom & Susan. Did you make it up to Princess Louisa inlet. Just a short "What I did on my summer vacaton" essay. Laughing

As for the Rock-C crew. Well I can't wait for Blakely. Thumbs Up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: