The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

C-Dory 25' Cruiser
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pmberman

City/Region: Carmel, IN and Orleans, MA
State or Province: IN
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: C-Dory 25' Cruiser Reply with quote

I'm one of the new members. Thanks to all of you who gave me advice and opinions on getting a C-Dory. I've been convinced this is the boat for me and my wife instead of the Whaler we first considered. The C-Brats people and the photos on this site tell a lot about these boats. Good products attract good people.

So, here is my next question......I really like the 25' cruiser, but have noticed the majority of you have the 22'. Are there any quality issues with the 25' (I noticed "minnow" posted a few pictures of what looked like problems with his 25').
Knotty C

City/Region: Vancouver, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Knotty C
Photos: Knotty C
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just took delivery of our 25 last weekend and are quite happy with our decision. I understand that several 22 owners have supersized recently and are now getting 25's. In looking at all the boats at the boat show the most immediate difference (a must have for us) was the stand up head in the 25. It also has more room because it is wider. That said, the 25 takes more to tow around so depending on your tow vehicle, the 22 may be better for you. We love our 25 and we know we made the right decision. Now all we need to do is decide on a name!

Good luck on your decison.
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all my reading at both sites, Minnow seems to be a glaring exception and just another confirmation of that old saw "Feces Occurs." . We picked the 22 primarily because of it's size and the storage problem here. When the Jenny B is in it's land berth, even with the folding trailer tongue I only have about a foot rear clearance. Public storage - especially secure storage, is very expensive and current marina fees are $10/ft. and up here in $unny $an Diego.

To be honest and coming from an RV background as well, we really caught the 22 fever after reading the adventures of one couple who are living their dream pretty much full time.

One mistake many novice RV'ers make is getting seduced by the amenities of a larger unit. We've always lived "out of" our RV's, not "in" them, so for us, smaller is better and we're finally immune to "twofootitis". (the burning desire for just another couple of feet.) Over the years we've had RV's between 16 and 32 ft. and are very satisfied with our present 26 footer. It's a "Go anywhere" length with no towing/parking/space available concerns. Eventually we're considering downsizing again.

As far as boats, coincidentally we've also stayed between 16 and 32 ft., and if (or maybe when) we go to a boat show and factory tour, where Dory threefootitis runs rampant we might change our mind too and move up, but 'till then the 22 fits our personal needs 100% of the time and our personal desires 87% of the time. I already have a more than adequate tow vehicle so it's not an issue. Probably the biggest reasons not to move up are age/fitness issues related to single handed launching and recovery and losing the ability to easily "go anywhere anytime". We still have that same dream Bill and El are following, and I'm not yet ready to give it up.

Don

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After having a 22 crusier for the last two years we sized up to the 25. In fact I am leaving in a half hour to drive to the factory to pick her up. When we first looked at the C-Dory, Kate wanted to get the 25. Biggest thing was the price difference at that time. We also had not owned a real boat before. Just smaller open boats. I am glad that we did go with the 22 first because I learned a bunch about boats, boating and what is important to have or not have. I trailer my boat and storage and launching is not really a factor. Kate is looking forward to the increased stability, and extra room as well as the stand up marine head. Did I mention that the marine head is important to her?

So, got to go bring her home.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Otter-BelleHavenMarina

City/Region: Alexandria
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Otter
Photos: Otter
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM,
Keep in mind that the 25 footer has only been out for a few years, which is big reason why so many on this site have 22's. Am not sure what I would have done when I bought in 2001 if the 25 had been available, but I am now completely enamored of the ease and versatility of the 22 and have no desire to "upgrade" to the 25. (Now that doesn't mean I won't be giving the new TomCat 25 a real thorough look when it is available....)
Best regards,

Rock-C

City/Region: Salem
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: Rock-C
Photos: Rock-C
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anna Leigh wrote:
. In fact I am leaving in a half hour to drive to the factory to pick her up. ...

Way ta go David Thumbs Up I can see the smile from here Mr. Green

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: C-Dory 25' Cruiser Reply with quote

pmberman wrote:

So, here is my next question......I really like the 25' cruiser, but have noticed the majority of you have the 22'. Are there any quality issues with the 25' (I noticed "minnow" posted a few pictures of what looked like problems with his 25').

There's no difference in quality between the 22' and 25' - same factory, same materials, same methods - just size and price. I looked at a lot of boats before buying our 22' CD (including the 25' CD). In brief, you have to get to 25' or so for the stand-up head to become an option in all similar boats (SeaSport for example) and the weight difference between 22 and 25 is substantial. We had an Isuzu Trooper that is rated to tow 5000 lbs and I couldn't justify both a new boat AND a new tow vehicle so we went with the 22'. As a compromise, I had King Marine make a custom enclosure that zips on under the camper top and I put the porta-potty in the cockpit when we need it. The enclosure provides privacy around three sides with the bulkhead being the 4th side. We have a black screen over the inside of the starboard rear window for more complete privacy in the enclosure. Someday, I might upsize but I don't see that happening any time soon. Overall, I'm happy with my 22.

Roger on the SeaDNA

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like to fish, you'll find that the 22 is a better fishing boat because of it's compact size and lower/single layer floor. It also tows much easier and can be launched in tighter places and less water.

You can have it both ways:

Buy a new 22 Cruiser for yourself.

Buy her an older 25-30 foot Bayliner for her (with the $20K you saved over the CD-25) and then

1. Paint it pink all over with red trim inside and out.
2. Install a 6 foot wide cosmetic dresser with 100 light bulbs around the mirror, and an overhead hydraulic descending hair dryer hood.
3. Add a Jacuzzi hot tub, a shower, and a 6-way flush toilet and bidet.
4. Don't forget the walk in clothes closet and shoe rack for at least 75 pairs.
5. And don't you dare forget the heated pet bed for the poodle!

Now when you want to go fishing, just tow her boat down to the Macy's parking lot and leave her there for the weekend sale while you go about having fun your way in your new CD-22!!!

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Rock-C

City/Region: Salem
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: Rock-C
Photos: Rock-C
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Joe, how is the single life? Laughing
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock-C wrote:
So Joe, how is the single life? Laughing

My thoughts exactly. Rolling Eyes

Don (who is on his last wifetime but not necessarily his last boat.)
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happily Married for 40 years, just with a compartmentalized approach to hobbys/spouse/etc!!!

Actually, we raced together in dinghy sailboats for 33 of those years without very many disagreements at all.

Used to think my wife had no spatial ability at all-could not visualize squat from square! Then I found out he knows more short cuts and back roads between department stores than the UPS man! She could outdrive Michael Schumacher and the F! Ferrari machine between destinations with her Turbocharged Eclipse if the sale prices were ending shortly!

Joe.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Patty heard from David around 6:00 pm, he was still at the C-Dory factory, getting everything checked out...he will miss the last Guemes Island ferry tonight, and will spend the night on board the supersized Anna Leigh at the Anacortes ferry terminal...don't pity him too much, he has his laptop, some movies and martini fixins...I am VERY anxious to see the pix, David!

Pat Anderson wrote:

David should be home by now, and getting ready to post the pix...and email me about what he observed on our CD25, due May 11...

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Last edited by Pat Anderson on Thu May 05, 2005 12:00 am; edited 3 times in total
Luna C

City/Region: Lake Goodwin/Center Island
C-Dory Year: 2019
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Panthera
Photos: Luna C
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We picked the 22 for price, weight, draft, and economy. We have hauled 8 accross Roserio several times with our extra seat + standing (30 min crossing). It is big enough for our family of 5. When we camp, two or three kids tent on shore.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, everyone should take a gander at Lunacy's photos of the interior...if extra seating AND having a galley always seemed unattainable, they have a unique (it is unique, isn't it Chris?) solution for your consideration.

Luna C wrote:
We picked the 22 for price, weight, draft, and economy. We have hauled 8 accross Roserio several times with our extra seat + standing (30 min crossing). It is big enough for our family of 5. When we camp, two or three kids tent on shore.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We choose the 22 for the cost and the light weight. I have a ford ranger and towing is at a max right now. If we ever up size to a larger boat it will not be the 25 c-dory but the 25 tom cat by c-dory. more room and better handleing. it will go faster and handle the north sound chop a lot better. its even more money then the 25 but is the cheapest cats of that size I have seen. the new tomcat will be out soon and we can not wait to see it. I really want to see just what the cabin is going to look and feel like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: