The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

MMSI NUMBER
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hambone

City/Region: Klamath Falls/Brookings OR.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beermanPDX wrote:
One other point to make is that MMSIs can be transferred. When you buy a used boat, the previous owner can cancel / release the MMSI number and it can then be transferred to you. It's free and keeps the MMSI with the boat, which is the main purpose in the first place.

Unfortunately, this isn't always possible when the former owner enters the old MMSI number in to their new boat.

Your absolutely right Rob. I don't think the original owner of my boat new that. We talked about the radio and he reminded me to get my own MMSI number which I did. The information now is on the boat and If I ever sell Sea Wolf I will instruct them on the proper way to transfer the MMSI. After talking to BOATUS transferring the MMSI is really easy. Good to see this process has gone the right direction.

Hambone Laughing

SEAWOLF 2008 22' TWIN HONDA 50s CRUISER
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very clear: " The MMSI number is assigned to the vessel, not the radio. All radios, whether fixed installations or handheld and no matter how many, permanently associated with the same vessel should all use the same MMSI number." But when the number is updated the new owner, the contacts, and EPRIP data etc needs to also be updated with FCC or Boat US.

Many folks don't do that--and it can lead to confusion or even could delay response.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember paying a registration fee of some type when applying for my MMSI number through the FCC. It may have been for the station license, not the MMSI, but was required if filed with the FCC. I went the FCC route because their MMSI numbers are registered internationally, whereas, at the time at least, if the numbers were assigned via BoatUS, they were not traceable across the border into Canada. Not sure if that has changed in the last 2 years. Never did make sense that BoatUS could issue the number and it not be filed with the FCC.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Bill K

City/Region: Toledo
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: NIC'L PIC'L
Photos: NIC'L PIC'L
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went to the Boat US site and copied this and you are correct and I had forgotten that.

"DSC-equipped VHF radios must have an MMSI number to function. That number must be registered in a database that is relayed to the Coast Guard for use in Search and Rescue. BoatUS has been authorized by both the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and the U.S. Coast Guard to assign MMSI numbers only to vessels that meet the following criteria:

Used for recreation only
Not required by law to carry a radio
Do not make international voyages or communications

If your vessel is required to carry a radio onboard (“Compulsory Equipped”), or if you plan to visit or communicate in a foreign port including Canada, Mexico, Bahamas, and the British Virgin Islands, DO NOT proceed with this application. You are legally required to obtain a Ship Station License from the FCC. They will issue an appropriate MMSI with the License. Additionally, when traveling to foreign ports, you are required to have a Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit holder aboard."

hardee wrote:
I seem to remember paying a registration fee of some type when applying for my MMSI number through the FCC. It may have been for the station license, not the MMSI, but was required if filed with the FCC. I went the FCC route because their MMSI numbers are registered internationally, whereas, at the time at least, if the numbers were assigned via BoatUS, they were not traceable across the border into Canada. Not sure if that has changed in the last 2 years. Never did make sense that BoatUS could issue the number and it not be filed with the FCC.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: