The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

epoxy ??????
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SENSEI

City/Region: Stanwood
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: SENSEI
Photos: SENSEI and SERENITY
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: epoxy ?????? Reply with quote

ok, here is the question
I am getting ready to change out my fishfinder and will be removing the old transducer.I just purchased a new Lowrance Elite-5X DSI. I need to fill the screw holes and hopefully there won't be any water intrusion. if so I will have to ream out the wet balsa and dry the holes out. then fill with epoxy. Everyone talks about the epoxy but I cannot find any reference to type of epoxy and the filler/thickener to use. I am ready to go to the marine store to buy what I need . someone like to guide me in my purchase?

1993 22 Cruiser (sold 2014)
1995 22 Angler (acquired 2016)
1983 22 Classic (sold 2017)
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are four or five "nationally known" good brands of epoxy. Probably the most likely to be found at the corner marine store is WEST System. Others are System Three, Raka, and MAS (plus some other lesser-known brands).

I've used all of the above except Raka and found them all to be fine. WEST has excellent customer support and it's easy to find at West Marine and other locations.

I tend to use System Three as it's what I started with, and the 1:2 mixture is easy to measure by volume (that said, I just got a digital scale and plan to start measuring by weight). System Three is sold by Fisheries Supply (probably along with others). But I have also used WEST quite a bit.

They do all work similarly. Basically, you mix resin and hardener (in careful proportions), then either use it "neat" or add fillers to give it the consistency and physical properties you want. For filling holes, I would most likely use neat epoxy to wet them out, and then add colloidal silica to thicken it. You could also use other thickeners, but this is one that works well. You'll want to wear a respirator while you are mixing in the CS, as it is very "flyaway" and not good to breathe.

So, a short list:

--Resin (WEST 105 or System Three General Purpose, for example)
--Hardener of the same brand (medium or fast in your neck of the woods now)
--Filler (e.g. colloidal silica/Cab-O-Sil (same thing)
--Mixing cups (you can make your own) OR
--mixing pumps that fit onto the epoxy containers, OR
--digital scale
--Mixing sticks (I use tongue depressors, cut one end off straight for cup scraping)
--Squeegee (I make them out of cut up water jugs for small jobs)
--Nitrile disposable gloves (put two or three on each hand, peel off as necessary; good to keep epoxy off your skin).
--Respirator (for mixing silica; may not be necessary if you use another filler)
--Blue tape or similar for masking off
--Clear packing tape can be useful
--Pipe cleaners or similar for wetting out holes
--Syringe(s) for filling blind holes (non-adhesive shrink tubing makes a handy extension).

There are a couple of other options on the epoxy:

1) If you are only ever doing a few small repairs, WEST make small "repair kits." I don't buy the kits, because they have silly things in them like one pipe cleaner, and two gloves (ha ha), but what I do buy are the "ketchup packet" refills that go in the kits. Basically, you open two packets, combine and mix them, and Voila, you have a small amount of neat epoxy. It is a small amount though, so for me they are something I carry traveling or on the boat, not something I stock for my base arsenal.

2) WEST also make a product called "610," that is basically epoxy mixed with silica in a caulking tube, with some fancy properties. It's expensive ($20 for a tube that is only half full), but.... after years of having an "I don't need these silly pre-made things; I know how to mix my own!" attitude I did try some just the other day. I have to say it's pretty slick, and a tube will probably join the "ketchup packets" in my kit. Somehow it is capable of wetting things out (they claim, but then they aren't given to wild claims), and also of being a thickened epoxy. I've just started using it, and I'm initially pleased but that's all I know so far. It's very easy to be tidy with it, and you can squeeze out just as much as you need, quite simply.

Hmmm, this may be more than you ever wanted to know, but a couple of other thoughts on filling holes, especially those beneath the waterline. I like to first overdrill them slightly, then reach in (with Dremel/115 bit/tiny sanding drum, or dental pick) and remove more core (back-cutting), so the hole behind the fiberglass is a bit larger than the hole in the fiberglass.

Then I put a piece of blue tape right over the hole, then cut the hole back out with an exacto knife. That saves either putting a dozen teeny pieces of tape around the hole and/or cleaning epoxy off later. Then paint the inside of the hole with neat epoxy and after that fill with thickened (you can thicken the same batch and fill right away)

Getting the epoxy to fully fill a blind hole (i.e. there is no other hole for air to escape from) can be a trick. If there are two or more holes close together (I just filled an adjacent group of four from a transducer, for example), I will sometimes try to connect them "behind the scenes." Then you can fill from the bottom with a syringe or Zip-Loc with the corner cut off (like filling an outboard lower unit), let the air come out the top hole and then when epoxy starts coming out, slap a piece of tape over that top hole and slowly withdraw the syringe from the lower hole.

If you are stuck with a blind hole though (especially if it's not very large in diameter), the best way is to use a syringe and try to get it in far enough that you are filling from the bottom of the hole outward - so that the air can escape. On the holes in my transom that I made for the trim tab plane fasteners, not only were they blind, but they were horizontal, and they had "caves" up above the entrance hole (where I had back cut). Talk about air wanting to be trapped! What I did was first of all put an ~1" long piece of tubing on the end of the syringe, so that it would reach the back of the hole. One problem solved. But I was still getting air trapped in the "upper cave." So what I did that worked was take another piece of tubing and put it in the hole alongside the syringe, with the inside end up at the top of the "cave." Then I started pushing epoxy into the hole with the syringe. Air came out the other tube for awhile and then finally just epoxy. It worked! When I re-drilled the holes for the fasteners (into the epoxy), there were no air pockets.

Sometimes if you get something filled just right, you can slap a piece of clear packing tape over it, then peel it off later and all is perfect. But more often the plug will be standing slightly proud or a bit sunken. Both of these are easy to deal with if you catch it in the "green" stage. This is when it is not sticky or "easily moldable" anymore, but when it is still slightly rubbery and you can dent it with a fingernail. At this stage if your fill is proud of the surface, you can slice it off neatly with a sharp chisel and you're done. If it's sunken, you can add more epoxy without having to prep and it will chemically bond (later you would have to wash off blush, sand for tooth, remove sanding dust, then add for a mechanical bond), then slice that off in the green stage and be done.

You can clean "wet" epoxy droozles off the boat with denatured alcohol or acetone, but once it hardens it's a bear to remove.

Okay, I'll stop now. At least I put the direct epoxy-shopping info right at the top Very Happy

Sunbeam
Bill K

City/Region: Toledo
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: NIC'L PIC'L
Photos: NIC'L PIC'L
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam,
I sure hope you didn't copy right those instructions as I just copied them them and emailed them to myself for later reference.

Thank You

mgarr682

City/Region: Asheville
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2013
Vessel Name: Glenda Jean
Photos: Glenda Jean
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Epoxy is good stuff. Reply with quote

If you've never used epoxy go to the West System website:

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/

and check out the "How to Use/Use Guides" and "How to Use/Videos" sections. Also, the "Products/How To Publications" section as many downloadable PDF files explaining the use of their products. For information about the various thickeners/additives browse the "Products/105 System/Fillers" section.

The West System Repair Kits ("Products/Repair Kits") can be handy to have around for small jobs. They come with resin, hardener, a filler or two, small mixing cups an applicators. For larger jobs it is available in quarts, gallons and larger sizes and the fillers can be bought separately. The appropriate sized pumps which screw right in to the quart and larger containers (one for the epoxy and one for the hardener) make mixing much simpler and they can be reused.

For a few screw holes I might just use one of the Repair Kits if that was all I needed and had to go buy some. Years ago when I was building a few boats and repairing my boats and friends boats I bought it by the gallon. I found I used it for quite a lot of things unrelated to boats as well. The Repair Kits come with small mixing containers, brushes, gloves, etc., but I've used paper cups and disposable cups or bowls too. The kits are handy because they come with about everything you need to just fill a few holes. Keep some rags handy to wipe up drips.

The other brands work in the same ways and probably just as well as the West System stuff. West System and West Marine are two different companies. While West Marine sells West System Epoxy it is also available from a lot of different sources and often cheaper elsewhere. The last I bought actually came from Amazon.

NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam, thanks from me, too. And also thanks to Roger for asking the question. Just for my own peace of mind, I need a little more guidance. (I'm about to pull an old transducer off myself.)

I'm still not absolutely certain about the "wetting" of the surface with neat epoxy before the filling of the cavity. (I understand the claim about the West 610 premixed tube, but I'm using West's separate resin and hardener.)

Do I merely coat the inside of the cavity with epoxy as soon as I have mixed the resin and hardener, and then immediately fill with the same mixture? (Or, if I'm adding a thickener, as soon as I've done that.) Is there no wait between wetting and filling? I assume it's important that there not be too much wait!

mgarr682

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NORO LIM wrote:
Do I merely coat the inside of the cavity with epoxy as soon as I have mixed the resin and hardener, and then immediately fill with the same mixture? (Or, if I'm adding a thickener, as soon as I've done that.) Is there no wait between wetting and filling? I assume it's important that there not be too much wait!

I'm not Sunbeam but I'll try to answer.

Yes, get the mixed epoxy (resin and hardener mix) into the hole before mixing in any filler. Any wood (as in the core) and some foam cores will actually soak up the epoxy just like it will water but the filler can't be soaked up by the wood since it is a solid. After getting a coat of straight epoxy mixture in then mix in your filler and fill the hole. The trick is to get the epoxy/filler mixture in before the straight epoxy in the hole has hardened too much so that they actually bond to each other. If you wait too long they may not bond to each other.

If you've never used epoxy just mix small batches and you'll be sure to use it up before it kicks over and starts to harden. If you're not sure how long it will take just do a couple of screw holes at a time till you get the feel for it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Sunbeam!
NORO LIM

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, maybe an even more basic question occurs to me as a result of this exchange. With a very small hole to fill, is thickener necessary or advisable?

Put another way, if I didn't use a thickener, would the "wetting" step be necessary?
mgarr682

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NORO LIM wrote:
OK, maybe an even more basic question occurs to me as a result of this exchange. With a very small hole to fill, is thickener necessary or advisable?

Put another way, if I didn't use a thickener, would the "wetting" step be necessary?

The various thickeners are pretty much used to get the epoxy to stay where you want it. If you have a dead end hole to fill and can get that hole into a vertical orientation where gravity is working for you it can be filled with epoxy, just pour it in. In a transom that's hard to do. Straight epoxy is pretty runny and will just run back out of a horizontal hole (gravity always wins) before it hardens. That is where the various thickeners come in to play. They keep the epoxy in place while it hardens.

If you wait for unthickened epoxy to start to harden and then put it into a non-vertical hole it may not run back out of the hole but it also may not bond to the inside of the hole very well. The unthickened epoxy will readily soak into small cracks and crevices in the hole and be absorbed to some small extent by any wood coring (and some foams) which will aid the bonding process between the epoxy and the interior of the hole.

Also, just using thickened epoxy to fill a hole without first giving it a coat of epoxy can allow the interior of the hole to draw epoxy out of whatever filler is used (as when wood coring soaks up some of the epoxy) also creating a week bond between the surface of the hole and the epoxy filler. That's why a coat of unthickened epoxy is put on the interior surfaces of the hole first. That layer will soak into any surfaces inside the hole that might absorb the epoxy so that when the thickened epoxy is put into the hole epoxy isn't drawn out of it leaving a weak bond.
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: epoxy ?????? Reply with quote

I don't do a lot of epoxy work. I have used both types and I don't think you need a lot for your job. When you price up all the items required for the U mix it set up you might think that the West SIX 10 two part tubes are a real deal at twenty dollars. The two parts are in the tube,you add a screw on mixing tube and place the tube in a caulking gun. The epoxy comes out that for me was the perfect consistency. I was redoing a threaded in type drain plug flange on our transom. Once your done unscrew the mixing tube replace the cap back on the two part tube and the reminder stays go to go and all you have to do is buy a replacement mixing tube. For me this stuff is the hot setup. I'm no epoxy cowboy so to each there own. It worked for me as after it hardened I drilled and put screws into it that hold my drain flange in place. I have a thread in bronze pipe plug so I would know if it was not holding up everytime I tighten the drain plug. I'm pretty sure it will seal up screw holes. I used painters tape to hold it in place while it cured.
D.D.

mgarr682

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: epoxy ?????? Reply with quote

Will-C wrote:
I don't do a lot of epoxy work. I have used both types and I don't think you need a lot for your job. When you price up all the items required for the U mix it set up you might think that the West SIX 10 two part tubes are a real deal at twenty dollars.

I've never used the Six10 (actually I've not seen it before) but after this video:

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/six10-demo/

I may well be giving it a try the next time I need some epoxy. Just under twenty bucks on Amazon.
NORO LIM

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mgarr682 wrote:
NORO LIM wrote:

The various thickeners are pretty much used to get the epoxy to stay where you want it. If you have a dead end hole to fill and can get that hole into a vertical orientation where gravity is working for you it can be filled with epoxy, just pour it in. In a transom that's hard to do. Straight epoxy is pretty runny and will just run back out of a horizontal hole (gravity always wins) before it hardens. That is where the various thickeners come in to play. They keep the epoxy in place while it hardens.

If you wait for unthickened epoxy to start to harden and then put it into a non-vertical hole it may not run back out of the hole but it also may not bond to the inside of the hole very well. The unthickened epoxy will readily soak into small cracks and crevices in the hole and be absorbed to some small extent by any wood coring (and some foams) which will aid the bonding process between the epoxy and the interior of the hole.

Also, just using thickened epoxy to fill a hole without first giving it a coat of epoxy can allow the interior of the hole to draw epoxy out of whatever filler is used (as when wood coring soaks up some of the epoxy) also creating a week bond between the surface of the hole and the epoxy filler. That's why a coat of unthickened epoxy is put on the interior surfaces of the hole first. That layer will soak into any surfaces inside the hole that might absorb the epoxy so that when the thickened epoxy is put into the hole epoxy isn't drawn out of it leaving a weak bond.

Thanks a million! Thumbs Up Absolutely clear to me now! I think I was on the right track but it's good to have a knowledgeable person confirm it. I do have a couple of small vertical holes to fill in addition to the transducer holes, and hence my question. Thanks again.

You gotta love this place!
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is turning into a nice epoxy thread. It sounds like you have a lot of epoxy experience, Mike, and I'm glad you thought to mention the use guides, as I meant to but forgot. In addition to the one on WEST's site, System Three also has one called "The Epoxy Book" on their site. I like them both as I find it helps to get two perspectives on things. Whomever illustrated WEST's guide should get a medal, because..... I don't know what it is, but there is something about those clear, simple illustrations that makes it look so easy Laughing 'Course then you start doing it and discover it doesn't stay tidy like the illustrations Wink

What was I going to say.... oh yeah, on the neat/filled. As Mike said, you want to go in with neat epoxy first, because it will soak in a bit and make everything bond better. If you just start with thickened it will harden into a dandy plug, but not really "become one" with the substrate as effectively - and you want that.

You can actually wait quite a while between the neat and the thickened. Normally there is no reason to, and no need to, but it can actually be a purposeful thing in certain situations - mostly when using cloth though. For example, when I glassed the underside of the lazarette openings, I let the neat epoxy tack up slightly before applying the cloth, and that way the cloth wanted to stick vs. drooping. Of course in a hole, even if it's "upside down," you can just pump the epoxy in and slap tape over it. But if you did need to delay, or got called away, or etc. then know you can still get a chemical bond as long as it's in the green stage (i.e. past wet/sticky, but still easily dentable with a fingernail). There's no set amount of time for this because it depends on temperature, humidity, hardener type, and how thick the epoxy is (thicker, like in a cup, heats up and cures faster). But again, there is normally no need to wait either, so you can do both operations back to back.

Another reason for using the thickened epoxy - besides the fact that it's less able to run back out of the hole - is that it's much stronger. Unreinforced epoxy is relatively brittle, but once you reinforce it with a structural filler, or with "cloth," then it's many times stronger.

On the 610: Yep, I think it's probably a good choice for many people and jobs (including me). You'd have to be a millionaire to build a boat with it, but for small jobs you may even save money. And it is really convenient and tidy. I did ask their tech department (twice!), "Really, it can wet out holes (say in balsa) as well as neat epoxy?" They said yes, and I tend to trust them, but I'm not 100% sure yet whether I would do that on critical holes or whether I would still want to wet it out with neat epoxy. Maybe I'll have to do some experiments (I'm actually going to use it today or tomorrow and will see how it works at wetting out.)

I sometimes actually fill a hole with neat epoxy, let it sit a while, and then suck it back out with a syringe, thicken it, and refill the hole. I'm sure that's overkill, but then I've re-cored a few boats, and it's a horrible job, so I may tend to overkill on cored things.

I still think that it's a good idea to have at least a small basic arsenal of neat/fillers, cloth, etc. if you have a fiberglass boat and plan to do any work on it, but that's just me. There are things that 610 won't do, and the basic arsenal will. Maybe I was a bit too harsh on the repair kits (although I do like the refill ketchup packets of epoxy and hardener), but if I have a fixed-location shop, I like to have slightly more on hand (I tend to go through the gloves at a rate of knots). If you ever do any glassing then some cloth and a couple of other fillers such as microballons can be handy (for fairing). No need for them just for simple holes though.

On the Dremeling: The three bits I've found most handy are the skinny sanding drum (for digging out holes; skinny because it will fit in through a small hole), the 115 bit (great for digging out holes), the bit that is just a straight/thin metal shank with a scored pattern on the end sort of like a small drill bit (that will carve through fiberglass like butter), and one of the tapered "eraser" type bits for tidying up the edges of slightly bigger things like when I did the bilge sump. I also keep one old cordless drill on hand that just has a chamfering bit in it (it had a super annoying hard to use chuck, so I just gave up and it's now the permanent chamfering-bit drill). It's almost always good to chamfer holes in fiberglass.

Sunbeam
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: epoxy ?????? Reply with quote

mgarr682 wrote:
[
I've never used the Six10 (actually I've not seen it before) but after this video...I may well be giving it a try the next time I need some epoxy. Just under twenty bucks on Amazon.

I totally held off on trying it. As the various pre-mixed things came on the market I was all "Oh come on, I don't need those things, I know how to mix the basic ingredients after all!" And there is something to that, because there are times you want a certain cure rate, or texture, or properties, and with the ingredients you can do that. It's also very expensive for larger jobs.

But.... I finally picked up a few tubes of 610 last week and just used it day before yesterday for the first time. Dang, I think I'm hooked now and I didn't even use the mixer tip! The stuff practically defies physics in everything it can do. It's definitely going to be nice in traveling mode (why I picked it up), although I'll still carry some other basics along for jobs it won't do. Larger jobs, or ones where I plan to use biaxial cloth (it won't wet out anything thicker than 12 oz weave), or where I need to fair. I'm still not 100% convinced on the 610 wetting out something like balsa, but I'll try in here in the next couple of days and see how I feel about it. One wish: That they would package 610 in a 5-minute epoxy type hand pump applicator, or in two squeeze bottles like they do G/flex. Because you can use 610 without the mixer tip (just squeeze out equal amounts and mix up yourself), but you still have to have a (big, bulky) caulking gun to do so.

Sunbeam
Rob & Karen

City/Region: Franklin
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Life of Riley
Photos: Life of Riley
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam,

What sort of respirator would you recommend? I am assuming that you are talking about more than a mask. Thanks.

Rob
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob & Karen wrote:
What sort of respirator would you recommend? I am assuming that you are talking about more than a mask. Thanks.

Rob

I'd recommend a good, cartridge respirator that fits well. In the past I've used other brands (which were also good), but now I'm using a 3M model that has a really nice, soft/siliconey face piece. I find that the 3M refill cartridges/filters are easy to source in various locations (why I switched brands). The base units come in S-M-L so you can get a good fit on your face which is really important. It also needs to be (relatively) comfortable, to my mind.

For anything dusty, I would really prefer a full face model, but I just can't get one to fit me properly. I have one, and have used it enough to know how great it would be if it did fit. No fiberglass dust constantly getting in between the goggles and mask, etc. Really nice for dusty work, and much more (physically) protective if things might be falling on your face while you're working.

Here are two examples of a half-face respirator (I'm using the 7500 now). There are a few different styles/price ranges, but they function similarly:

Links:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Respirator-7502-Respiratory-Protection/dp/B00AR63G12/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1364146131&sr=1-2&keywords=3m+half+respirator

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Respirator-Facepiece-Filters-Protection/dp/B0006ORFH6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_12

Here is a full-face respirator, for example:

Link:
http://www.amazon.com/3M-Facepiece-Respirator-Respiratory-Protection/dp/B007QY8WTY/ref=sr_1_23?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1364145946&sr=1-23

There are also "disposable" half-face ones wherein you just throw them away - cartridges, facepiece, and all when you are done; but I like the re-usable ones. They are not that expensive, they do a great job, and you'd be surprised (at least I was) at how often you pick one up and wear it once you have one. I now have very little (mental) tolerance for smelling any sort of fumes or etc. (you can't smell them with the respirator on). Gone are the days when I would, say, paint a room with latex paint and just breathe it in.

If you scroll down to the area where there is a ribbon of other products you can buy, you will see the cartridges and filters. There are many different ones depending on what you are doing. Along with me I have these filters:

P100, which goes on alone:

6001 organic vapor cartridge:

With the 5N11 pre-filters (fit over the 6001):

And the 501 pre-filter retainers (re-usable):

Note that the vapor cartridges should be stored someplace where they can't continue to "soak up" vapors and wear out while you're not using them. One nice side bonus is that when you are wearing one, and it's working, you can't smell nasty paint/solvent etc. smells.

There are a lot of different cartridges and filters, and I realize I'm probably guilty of just using "the usual ones" -- I should probably re-research my choices to make sure they are still the best ones for what I'm doing (I started using them before it was so easy to get information!).

Sunbeam Hot
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: