The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Seastar Hydraulic Cylinder Repair
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Seastar Hydraulic Cylinder Repair Reply with quote

I just ran across this topic on the Hull Truth (a general boat blog,) and I thought I'd share it with this site. I've seen this topic discussed on the C-Brats and. I've often wondered what I'd do if the darn hydraulic cylinder started leaking on Journey On. Well, I now know. Hope it helps someone else.

Quote from the Hull Truth:

First: repairing the leak.
"My SeaStar steering cylinder developed a leak last week after 6 years. Being out of warranty I decided I would replace the seals. I priced the seal kits and was a little shocked at the price. I decided I would tackle this myself. I fabricated a spanner wrench to disassemble the cylinder. Once I had it apart I took the end glands to the hydraulic shop I use for heavy equipment service. The gentleman behind the counter took the old seals out and replaced them with new ones in about two minutes. I noticed the SeaStar seals were much more flimsy than the one the hydraulic shop installed. I reassembled the cylinder and put it back on the boat, bled the system and everything seamed to work perfectly. Did not see any leaks and steering felt as smooth as before. I did the entire replacement for $28. Just throwing this out there to try and save you guys a few bucks.

Next, bleeding the cylinder.
Boatdave: I bled it by myself it is really simple. I bought a fitting that screwed into the fill hole at the steering wheel and connected it to a piece of hose about 36'' long and then into a funnel. I then put about a 15'' hose onto each of the bleeder nipples. I ziptied the funnel to the rail over my windshield and filled it up to the top with fluid. I went to the engine and opened one of the bleeder valves and turned the wheel in one direction until I got an even air free flow of fluid out the nipple and into small bucket. I closed that bleeder valve and did the same with the other side. The key is to not let the funnel and hose become empty or you will get air into the system again. Once you get fluid out with no air spurting then close the valve. The last thing I did was to turn the wheel in one direction until it was tight and hold for 3 seconds. You should sea a bubble or two of remaining air flow up the hose towards the funnel. Repeat by turning the wheel different directions to full turn and it will remove any remaining air. Not sure if this is how the dealers do it but this is how I did it and it worked great.

Finally, a reference to youtube. I haven't found this video.
Yes, based on what I have seen on youtube and what you have stated, I will give it a try."

Boris
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our new to us c-dory seems to weep hydraulic fluid from the plastic steering wheel shroud against the bulkhead. Its been upgraded in the last couple of years to the seastar hydraulic system. I didn't notice until I started running an electric heater in there 24/7 while refinishing the teak trim. I'm still not sure if its a problem that needs fixing, or if the fluid has just been expanding with the warmer temps in the cabin. Only time will tell I suppose.
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, when I did the seals on the 22 there was this kit you could get that attached the jug of SeaStar fluid to the steering resolver. You just screwed it in than poked a pin hole in the bottom of the jug, worked pretty slick.

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulNBriannaLynn wrote:
Our new to us c-dory seems to weep hydraulic fluid from the plastic steering wheel shroud against the bulkhead. Its been upgraded in the last couple of years to the seastar hydraulic system. I didn't notice until I started running an electric heater in there 24/7 while refinishing the teak trim. I'm still not sure if its a problem that needs fixing, or if the fluid has just been expanding with the warmer temps in the cabin. Only time will tell I suppose.

There's a cap on the top of the reservoir that can leak (I think it vents there) and if the warmer air expanded the fluid, it could be coming out of the top and running down the sides to the bottom. Pretty hard to see.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Sea Star Steering Reply with quote

Good info to have on getting new seals into the old end caps.
I just did the new cap thing and have the two leakers which I will have re-sealed for spares. I looked but found no gold in the new caps. Why so expensive.??
FYI......When taking the holding end brackets off to replace the end caps a liberal douching with marine grease or anti-seize would be helpful for the next dis-assembly.

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a baby ear syringe, one of those bulbous things with a soft rubber "tube" to put new fluid in the steering wheel reservoir. And, look in the seastar/baystar manual, it will list several aircraft brake fluid brands as suitable for use and..they are about 1/3 the price.
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been looking for that leak....I find drips on the fittings but can't figure out what was leaking.....now I will suspect the cap...never even thought about it coming out that cap. Thanks

Joel
SEA3PO
Jack in Alaska

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: REBUILD SEA STAR END CAP SEALS/WIPERS Reply with quote

Journey On gave me the idea to rebuild my own end caps of the Sea Star hydr. ram.
I just did that and it cost me $28.66 for the new seals/wipers purchased from Alaska Hydraulics here in Anchorage. Part no's.........

wiper......HW-0750N
seal........DPU12-0.75-12

You will need 2 of each and they are simple to replace yourself.

Jack
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had leaky end caps early on and found the end plates on the ram were a bit loose. After tightening I used Barry's eye dropper idea to fill up. I still had fluid at the seals after running the boat. I read and re read the manual until I understood I had to only fill till 1/8 to 3/16 inch full below the resevoir cavity top Not the fill tube. I was overfilling and with the pressure these helms build, the fluid had to go somewhere. I have no leaks now the fluid level is correct. As we know fluids can't compress. George
Jack in Alaska

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Seastar oil can Reply with quote

I found a neat little plastic oil bottle with a 14" flexible neck on it with a cap. It is at ACE HARDWARE in the automotive section. 4 oz. capacity. Called ZOOM OILER. Comes with lub. oil in it but you can dump that and refill with Seastar Hydr. oil. Costs approx. $2.50.

FYI.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't those great? I know it as sewing machine oil with the "ZOOM spout." Really handy.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wound up with a noise Auto Pilot, and oil slick in the splash well during my summer trip to Vancouver Island. Over time, and with good help from George, I was able to refill, and eventually tighten the end cap, which was very loose.

I'm not going to try to replace those seals myself, but wonder if it would be a good idea to ask to have a jam nut places on the end of the ram rod, to keep that nut from loosening again.

The leak started about the time I turned 1000 hours, and I'm wondering if that is early, average or late in the SeaStar service live for seal replacement.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve (Constant Craving) and I were discussing this, especially since his last years trip to Powell was cut short by seal leaks at the ends of the rams. He was told that dog hair is a culbpit in damaging seals. I have always felt that the fine dust at Powell, is also an issue. I always leave my hem over to one side when letting the boat sit--even at anchor/or stern to the beach. This means that only one side seal is going to be exposed to the max amount of abrasive material. Before running or even starting the motor, I wipe the ram shaft down with a microfiber cloth, to clean off any dirt, dog hair or fine sand. This seems to help. Same with trailering!
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a remote fill hose on my boat (non C-Dory)

see

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/teleflex--helm-remote-fill-and-vent-kit--6549711?cm_mmc=PS-_-Google-_-Shopping_PLAs-_-6549711&adpos=1o1&creative=59544544924&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAjw-vewBRDH1-b52Lig1hkSJACTPfVFrUfCtY5w08niQsKWx3Yui8UKA1ZvXLLJ7CaqVjhcyhoCgjfw_wcB

Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a recent thread on the topic. I think Boris has got the best setup for bleeding a steering system...

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=23370&highlight=

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: