View previous topic :: View next topic  
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Dinghy question for a 25... Reply with quote

If all goes as planned I'll be picking up my new to me C-Dory 25 next weekend. It has a 9.9 Suzuki kicker and I was thinking I could use that for the motor on the dinghy? Can you put a big enough dink on a 25 C-Dory to hold a 9.9?

Any idea will be appreciated.

Thanks!
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine one could, but it'd be huge, heavy and nearly impossible to load and unload into the water by hand. We have a 7.5' one that uses a 4 horse max and it's about all I can handle by myself.
ken35216

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be by myself most of the time too. I just checked and the 9.9 weighs in at 93 lbs. That's a lot!! I may have to rethink this.
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For us on our 22 dinghy weight of both engine and dinghy was a crucial driver. We ended up with a West Marine RU260 at a little over 50# and a Honda 2HP about 25#.
potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad idea because of that weight. I can handle my 2.5 Suzuki and my inflatable by myself and I'm way past middle age. Any more than 30 or so pounds is asking for trouble to put on and off a dinghy in the water. If you are going to have the dinghy on a crane, or tow it, then load er up!

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all impossible. I have used 9.9's, 15's and 25 hp on inflatable dinghy. The clue is to use a davit. On the C Dory 25, and the Tom Cat both had the Garhauer davit rigged so it would handle an ouboard if necessary. The 25 specifically had the davit so it could pick up the outboard form the engine bracket and transfer it to the dinghy transom. One person could do it, but a lot easier with two.

The inflatable floor dinghy we use currently is rated for a 10 hp outboard. Does it need it--no, I think 6 would be OK for two on a plane--but I can plane it with the 3.5 and one person. But you have to have a good hard floor (inflatable is best, and easiest to set up) and a good internal (to the bottom of the boat) keel. This dinghy is about 70 lbs. So we can pick it up and put on the 25 or even 22 roof.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dinghy is rated for 10hp but I only use a 3.5.hp and it works good. I have a 5hp in the shop that I need to get working, keeps stalling, that I have used. I can lift either on and off the dinghy at the transon step but I would not want to go any bigger unless I had a lift and sling.
ken35216

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Not at all impossible. I have used 9.9's, 15's and 25 hp on inflatable dinghy. The clue is to use a davit. On the C Dory 25, and the Tom Cat both had the Garhauer davit rigged so it would handle an ouboard if necessary. The 25 specifically had the davit so it could pick up the outboard form the engine bracket and transfer it to the dinghy transom. One person could do it, but a lot easier with two.

Where would I find those? This is interesting.
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://garhauermarine.com/catalog_process.cfm?cid=41J Here is a photo of the davit in the Tom Cat--I'll check and see if I have a picture in the 25.

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the small outboard for two purposes only makes sense. We got a 10 HP Honda for the get me home motor and we use it on the Achilles dinghy. Below is the hoist I made in action. the Gaurhaur hoist Bob has above would work just as well. Mine (and I assume his,) comes apart and stows in the aft locker, with the spare anchor, batteries, etc. The hoist is not a 1 person job, Judy runs the hoist (the motor only weight 110 lbs., 55 Kg,) I'm in the dinghy positioning the motor. Takes a couple of minutes, and beats carrying 3 motors aboard. I also had to make a plate to lift the motor up on the dinghy, since we got a long shaft motor. A standard length would have been just fine, since the motor mount lowers the motor way down. The second picture shows how we transfer the motor to the dinghy. The red strap is the support from the hoist to the handle on the back of the cabin.
aaa

Boris
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look in "GOYO" album. He did a nice job installing on using the port hand rail.
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris has a nice practical davit. One of the advantages of the Garheaur is the nice large low friction blocks with a 6:1 ratio, as well as the jam cleat --although you don't have to use it that way. On our 25 the davit was located in the splash well, and had good overhand as Boris's does. Yes it folds into two or 3 pats and stows easily. You can also put in several mounts to use it in different area.
DuckDogTitus

City/Region: Gig Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Miner
Photos: Hemingway
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really impressed by that davit setup. I have a 9.9 on another boat and I wouldn't have dreamed of using that heavy motor on a dingy for a dory. I had planned on just using an electric motor or oars.
kevin ware

City/Region: Mount Vernon
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: El Gato Thomas
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: dinghy engine Reply with quote

Before switching to the Tom Cat, I had a similar set up with a 9.5 HP kicker on a 24 foot Sea Sport, and chose not to use that engine for the dinghy. Several reasons.

Dinghy size. It takes a pretty large dinghy to be reasonably balanced fore and aft with a 95 lb. engine on the transom. A large dinghy weighs a lot by itself, and I found that the lighter the dinghy weight, the more often and casual I am about putting it over the side...and I am a reasonably strong guy.

You will also probably place this larger dinghy on the roof of the cabin of the CD. That is quite high above the vessels center of gravity and you will find that any extra weight you have up there, adversely effects the vessels rolling motion, particularly when running slow with a beam sea.

For these reasons, we have kept the same 6.5 foot 45 lb. dinghy for the past 15 years, in spite of changing the boat it goes on 3 times.

Outboard transfer. Sometimes when you want to launch the dinghy most is when conditions are the worst. You can just throw the dinghy over the side with a long painter and it will be fine, but not the engine. Transferring a heavy outboard from the transom of the mother vessel to the transom of a pitching dinghy is a good way to magically convert the outboard into an anchor.

Engine tie in system. You will probably wind up with some method of tieing the 9.5 HP kicker to the steering system on the larger outboard. If not immediately, then the need for this will become evident with the pasage of time. Disconnecting the connection can itself be quite a hassle in rough conditions.

I have an older 2 HP Yamaha 2 cycle outboard for the little dinghy, but also have an almost new 5 HP Yamaha 4 cycle sitting here at home. The difference in weight is only about 20 lb., but that alone makes me always reach for the smaller engine when deciding which one to load on the Tom Cat.

If you ask the ladies about this, the lower weight set up will win every time.

Bottom line. Both for reasons of safety and convenience, you want that whole dinghy set up to be as convenient to use as possible.

Keep it light.

KWare
El Gato Thomas
CD Tom Cat 25.5
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: 10HP motors Reply with quote

I maintained a fleet of Junior Sailing program instructor boats and had take the motors off every week during the summer. Even on dry land it is not easy, from a rolling boat to a jumping dingy is not my cup of tea. Plus you have to put some torque on the mounting bolts, disconnect the gas line, unfasten the security cable/locks (you will not have a motor for long without these), perhaps remove not just unfasten a tie rod to the main motor, and if you are using the small motor to charge its own or another battery bank, those cables have to come off also. The handles on most are fragile and the tilt mechanism is not all that stout. The cases scratch if you look at them and if it starts to get away from you, you can hurt yourself trying to save a $25+ investment. I only was able to salvage one out of three motors than went for a saltwater swim and that was a hassle. If it were me, I would read again the posts on how much HP you need to move a 25 at hull speed and consider a smaller motor with a bigger prop and a prop guard/nozzle. I moved lots of boats much bigger than a CD25 with less than 6hp and never missed the weight or hassle of a bigger motor. Hope you new boat is a blessing!
Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Dinghys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: