Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Plan C

City/Region: Port Townsend
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Plan C
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: New safety boat opportunity, August 24 Reply with quote

Who's up for some more safety boat outings?

Here in Port Townsend, we will have our annual Rat Island Regatta on June 29, and then on August 24, there is the Cross Sound Race, from Seattle to Bainbridge Island.

As we've shown in the past, the C Dory contingent can provide a top quality safety fleet, which works in coordination, and can do the job without baby sitting. The biggest event for us in the past was the National Open Water Rowing Championship two (or was it 3?) years ago. When we have done this, we've had a good time and have provided a valuable service.

Is there interest in doing this - this year? Please give me some indication of interest so I can pass it on to race organizers, who like to get this thing arranged well in advance.

Dave
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested in doing it again. Nice area to fish that time of year and a weekend at the bainbridge area should be fun. Pinks and silvers that time of year. We have company coming in august, so as long as it does not fall on the was days we could make it. Where would we stay?
Can we get a dock party going some place?

Plan C

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, we're off to a good start! Hi Tom. I can't speak for the Bainbridge area, but for Port Townsend, we found it easy to spend the night in Nordland harbor at the State Park on Marrowstone Island the night before.

Dave
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry on a re read I see you are asking about June 29th. Or are you asking about both dates? Maybe blake Island state park would be good for the second one.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Cool Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Good time to get some service time in.

Count me in for both. I will plan on it. Have had a great time on each trip before, and have really enjoyed doing some "community service" with SleepyC. The PT race worked out well to stay at Mystery Bay State Park, and would do that again, (even if it is foggy). For the Seattle to Bainbridge, a launch from Brownsville would be pretty convenient for those of us from the west side of the water. There may be better places, but they do have a pretty good capacity, just no washdown for after the haulout.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

hardee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, Just for clarification, the Seattle to Bainbridge is a oneway, east to west run only or do they do a round trip, launching from Seattle and returning to the launch site? Any idea on the times involved?

Thanks,

Harvey
SleepyCMoon
Plan C

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, safety boats are needed both both races. It doesn't have to be the same people. You can do just one or both.

The Cross Sound Race is just me way. My understanding is that it will be from Seattle to Bainbridge.

For those who have not done this before, it is a good chance to do coordinated work, involving a bit of planning and good communications. We make our own plan and carry it out in the way that makes sense to us. I think it is a great benefit to the rowers to have a single type of boat as safety boats, because they are recognizeable.

Dave
Plan C

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should say at this point, that I may be rowing in one or both of these races. If not, I will be doing safety boat.
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanting to keep this up on the list.

This is a good opportunity folks. It is not hard, and it is not usually a long day, so there is time to get in and get the race done and still have some free boating time.

We could launch at Brownsville Friday and then go over to Seattle early for the return, or there may be some places on Bainbridge to launch from.

The racers are generally pretty well trained, and are supposed to be capable of self rescue. Last year I towed a peddle powered boat in that broke a drive shaft. We did take the racer on board, but the tow was easy and the craft was light. The races are cleared with the Coast Guard and it is just a good time on the water.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
ddenver

City/Region: Quilcene
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: C-Renity
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe we (or minimally me) would be interested in possibly helping out on at least one or possibly both dates especially if we can get a dog sitter.

As others have mentioned, planning where to stay (Mystery Bay is a great location to stay for the Rat Island Regatta), especially for the Seattle portion of the race, so we can hopefully get some C-Brat together time (perhaps all stay in the same location before or after the race) on those weekends and other logistics would be nice to get ironed out.

I mentioned to Harvey over the phone, Brownsville Marina has some major construction and/or renovations planned for the July/August time frame (assuming it takes place on schedule) so transient moorage there would likely be extremely limited or negligible if the renovations do go forward. However; I neglected to ask them about access to their boat ramp and/or parking lot (they have plentiful parking and it is at least minimally patrolled as well as a descent boat ramp which is a bit tide sensitive) if indeed the renovations take place.

Nearby Poulsbo Marina usually has transient dock space available but the nearby ramp is semi-useless and the parking situation appears to be non-existent.

There is a small public boat ramp at BI's (Bainbridge Island's) Eagle Harbor Waterfront Park which I have seen but never used (so not sure how good it is). Parking there once again seems to be a very limiting situation.

Kingston Marina further north (also have never launched or parked there) - which would be perhaps about the same distance as a Brownsville launch - seems to have quite a bit of parking but the ramp also looks to be quite tide sensitive.

Take care,
Dan, Tanya, and Hannah on C-Renity
hardee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dan, Nice to get to visit for a bit today.

Looks like we still have some research to do. Ahh, boating research Wink life is really tough sometimes, but someone has to do it. Guess we have some work cut out for us.

For those others that are on the fence, this will be a couple of fun days on the water and a chance to do some easy, fun community service. (And that isn't parking lot sweeping or city garden cleaning ----> it is sitting at the wheel of your C-Dory slow cruising in the Salish Sea, and watching the progress of the paddlers, rowers and peddlers as they cross the water on little more than their imaginations.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
hardee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey
SleepyCMoon
hardee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still looking for some C-dory skippers.

You don't have to sign up for both events. Either one will do and guaranteed to have a good time.

You do not need to be either a US Coast Guard captain or a USCG Axillary to participate, but neither would be turned down.

Smile

Harvey
SleepyCMoon
hardee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a conversation with Jeff K, the race chairman for the Cross Sound rowing race. For clarification, the race is an over and back from Alki Point beach, to Bainbridge, actually rounding Blakely Rock, then going about a half mile to round a buoy then back across Admiralty to Alki beach again.

The fastest boats will do this course, (around 8 miles) in an hour, the slower ones will be about 2 hours. This means it is not an all day commitment. And there is an offer for some sort of compensation. That could be anything from some boat gas money to a hot lunch or somewhere in between.

Just want to bring this back up for your attention.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

hardee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"in Port Townsend, we will have our annual Rat Island Regatta on June 29, and then on August 24, there is the Cross Sound Race, from Seattle to Bainbridge Island."

Tom, do these dates work in with fishing?

The Port Townsend race take basically a morning, and is in the Port Townsend bay. Easy Peasy with a stay at Mystery Bay the night before for good measure. (Or at one of the PT marinas.)

The Cross Sound will take about the same amount of time. Will leave from and return to Alki Beach, making the turn at Blakely Rock near Bainbridge Island.

Early morning start times (usually around 0800) for the rowers, and short race involvement make for a basic morning commitment.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: