View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tug

City/Region: Sault Ste. Marie
State or Province: ON
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Drifter
Photos: Drifter
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Maxwell 500 not working Reply with quote

Today was the first time this year i attempted to use my Maxwell 500 Windlass, I turned the breaker on, had the motor fast idling and flipped the switch to lower the anchor.. NOTHING.. it worked great last year before i stored the boat . I even checked the wiring, cranked the anchor up manually to see if there was a jam somewhere, switched battering but it was DEAD. I am looking for my owners manual today but does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks Tug
redbaronace

City/Region: Puget Sound
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: redbaronace (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This same thing has happened to us quite a bit of late. Ours is a different brand, but the symptoms seem to be the same.

Ours was intermittent and whenever it failed to operate, I would check the fuses and then start wiggling wires. While this seems hardly scientific, it would work 50% of the time.

Finally, I got my wiring troubleshooting friend to come take a look, his best guess was that my wires connections were corroded. We went ahead and took a wire brush to all the loops at the battery terminal end and buffed them up. In fact, I believe we used a brush attachment at the end of a dremmel to remove the corrosion. We followed that up with some Corrosion X spray.

Since that time, the windlass has performed 100%. It has only been down/up 4 times, so time will tell whether the solution holds. Just thought I would share our fix.
Tug

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on my way to the marina with a electrical tester, I will check that . Thanks Tug
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A digital volt meter aboard is an essential. You probably have reversing selenoids. If this is the case, you need to check out two circuits. One is the circuit at the switch at the helm, the other is at the windlass. First check voltage at the input lines to the dash switch, then out put lines--both up and down. Next check voltage to the selinoid--then check voltage on out output side (this takes either a second person, or a set of small jumpers at the dash switch.

Agree that corrosion is often the problem. This may be at the battery on up. to the windlass itself.

If these all check out well--then it is probably the motor, and you will most likely have to pull the windlass.

I have owned several Maxwell windlasses, but they were considerably larger than the 500.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Rick from Maine

City/Region: No. Berwick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with this windlass is the switch fails. Try taking voltages in and out of the up/down switch.
Tug

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked all the voltages and connections , everything seemed good. Than I removed all the ( 2 ) battery connections and used a piece of sandpaper and sanded them to a shine. I reconnected the batteries and tried the Windlass, worked like a charm. I would not of tried that because everything else worked . That was a quick fix with great results. I am buying the beer. lol. Thanks for the help. Tug
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: