starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would ask how much chain they used with the kellet? I have not used one but it seems to me that the two main reasons for using one is angle and damping. By using a kellet you are decreasing the angle of the rode from the anchor to the bow, well really just lengthening the distance before the rode angles up to the bow, which will provide with better holding and setting of the anchor by keeping the anchor at a shallower angle. This is because of the weight of the kellet on the rode. ( if I dont have that right someone will correct me) the damping comes from the boat having to lift that weight up before pulling the rode tight and banging against the anchor. It also decreases the distance you are from the anchor by pulling the rode down at the bow. This was also one of the benefits of more chain on the 27. I installed a larger windlass that I found on craiglist for cheap. Its rated for a 45 Plus foot boat. I think its the 1000 series?? So I use a far larger chain then most. which is a lot heavier then most. Not sure of the size off the top of my head but I could look later. So having 80 ft of chain accomplishes the same goals of a kellet. Is decrease or prolongs the angle of the rode ( I hardly even get in to my rode around here) between the boat and the anchor. I have never dragged in the 27 even in high winds.

One problem I do have in high winds is swinging. One day in English camp we where getting slammed with 40mph wind gust and steady 30 mph. Well this caused the 27 to swing from almost 180 degrees at the stern from a point at the bow. Bow was pointed due east and then would swing until pointed due west. Back and forth for hours. I tried a sea anchor off the stern but that did little. latter I was told that I should have ran my anchor line off a forward side cleat. Would this have stopped the swinging?

colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
Sometimes I run a line from my forward cleat (the one just under the window on either side) to the anchor rode and take enough tension to pull it back toward my stern and make a shallow vee in the anchor line. That seems to help with swinging as the pull is to one side rather than straight off the bow. I usually use a rolling hitch for the knot to the anchor line.

NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colobear wrote:
Tom,
Sometimes I run a line from my forward cleat (the one just under the window on either side) to the anchor rode and take enough tension to pull it back toward my stern and make a shallow vee in the anchor line. That seems to help with swinging as the pull is to one side rather than straight off the bow. I usually use a rolling hitch for the knot to the anchor line.

Ditto. And on the theory that it provides some lateral resistance at the end of the "whip," I keep the engine(s) down when the boat wants to swing. (Empirical evidence of the benefit of lowering the engines has been sketchy, but it makes me feel like I'm doing something. Very Happy )

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure like the tip on the cleat to rode line for swing reduction. We too have spent some nights at the end of the whip. It helped some to leave the Mokai in the towed position, but then if the wind changed to erratic the mokai would bang into the side of the boat which was even worse than being whipped.

Jay

starcrafttom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to give that a try the next time I am anchored ion the wind.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boats I've anchored on in the past didn't really have a "sailing" problem at anchor (different style boat), but the same technique (setting yourself up at an angle) can be helpful if there is an annoying swell that's not coming straight at your bow, but instead hitting at an angle and causing discomfort. If you change the angle the way Barry said, you can often set yourself "straight" to the waves and get comfortable again.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the C Dory with flat bottom and no keel does "sail"--I have tried many different methods to stop it-including two anchors--one set at the limit of the "Sail" arc. The various angles with a snubber or spring to the side cleat, even attaching a small second anchor near the chain and rode shackle (which can lead to other complications). The Kellet can drag on the bottom and might cut the swing--but generally it is near the chain--or attached to the chain. My rig had a snatch block which would go over the main rode line, and a secondary light line to lower the Kellet down the rope rode. The other method is to shackle the kellet to the chain. The further the Kellet is from the anchor, the more effective it should be. There does need to be a minimal anchor rode and anchor shank angle. The kellet will help with this in calm weather, but even with a kellet and heavy chain, as the wind approaches 50 knots the chain will be bar tight.

The reason for the 7:1 scope is that it is the optimal angle for setting most anchors. Danforth designed his anchor specifically with a 32 degree angle (same as the Fortress for sand) between the shank and flukes.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry, Thanks for starting this thread. I learned a great deal once again from all the experience from the group. We are definitely under gunned with only a 5 kg (11lb) Bruce type claw anchor on our 22 for the PNW. We are considering upgrading to the Rocna 22lb or 33lb. Would the 33lb with 25' of 1/4" chain be overkill? The Manson Supreme is also similarly priced and offered in 25lb or 35lb. Would the larger be overkill?

It's great when you all share your wisdom. My wife tells me to go ahead and spend the money on upgrades as long as you all recommend it. Very Happy
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kennharriet wrote:
We are definitely under gunned with only a 5 kg (11lb) Bruce type claw anchor on our 22 for the PNW. We are considering upgrading to the Rocna 22lb or 33lb. Would the 33lb with 25' of 1/4" chain be overkill?

[Note that I'm writing from the perspective of one who has not yet anchored out on the 22 -- so my "knowledge" comes from reading here plus other boating.]

Coming from bigger boats (not really large; just larger than 22') and having spent many nights on the hook, I believe in good ground tackle. So it was really, really hard for me to not go with a mega-oversized anchor and a large diameter, all-chain rode. I even have a nice 33# Bruce sitting in the boat shed just begging to be used.

But... and it's hard for me to say this... even I think 33# is a bit oversized for the 22. From the reading I've done here (written by folks who have anchored on the 22 quite a bit), a ~22# anchor is the "hefty" size, and a ~15# is still quite adequate. Given that the rest of the ground tackle is properly set up and sized, of course. (And knowing that certain types of bottom, location, or conditions will always present a challenge.)

I went with a 15# Manson Supreme (similar design to a Rocna). I would probably have gone with something more like 22-25# if I had a windlass, but right now I don't. Similarly, I went with 25' of 1/4" chain, but if I had a windlass I might up that to 50' (then move the current rode to the secondary role).

Sunbeam
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over kill on a anchor is like bringing to much ammo to a gun fight. Now one has even complained about it afterwards...

But a 25lber should do the job just fine. And like I have said already at least 22 ft of chain.
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Replacing anchor rode and chain Reply with quote

I am new to power boats but have messed around in dinghy's and sail boats all my life.
My 22 cruiser came with the 16lb Bruce and some iffy looking chain. First thing I did was swap out the chain for high test and change the rode from 3/8" to 1/2". I wasn't sure whether to get 25' or 50' of chain, so settled for 35'. This set up works fine hauling in by hand, but any heavier, one would have to consider putting in a windlass. I know George on Kerri On likes heavier ground tackle, so he installed a windlass.

Martin.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 33 would be overkill. The 22/25 are used mostly on the 25's. I have a 14 Delta and couple 7# Fortress. 28 lbs weight, but a lot more versatile. I had the delta, if not I would have gotten the Ronca or sopreme. Look at fluke area and design for that specific bottom type, as well as weight.

As for ammo; I want the right weapon and enough accurate shots...street carry I would go with a, 45, with three 7 round magazines, vs a .50 with 6 belts....

A 33 lb anchor would be more difficult to handle.
20dauntless

City/Region: Mercer Island and Decatur Island
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Retriever and Nordic Tug 37
Photos: Retriever
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kennharriet wrote:
Terry, Thanks for starting this thread. I learned a great deal once again from all the experience from the group. We are definitely under gunned with only a 5 kg (11lb) Bruce type claw anchor on our 22 for the PNW. We are considering upgrading to the Rocna 22lb or 33lb. Would the 33lb with 25' of 1/4" chain be overkill? The Manson Supreme is also similarly priced and offered in 25lb or 35lb. Would the larger be overkill?

It's great when you all share your wisdom. My wife tells me to go ahead and spend the money on upgrades as long as you all recommend it. Very Happy

I have a 15lb Manson Supreme with 50 feet of chain and it's wonderful. It sets amazingly quickly and holds well on 3:1 scope. In 50+ nights at anchor, I've yet to be disappointed, including some nights with winds above 30 knots.

I tried to put a 22lb Delta on the boat, but it was too large and required changes to the bow roller setup. A 22lb Rocna or 25lb Manson might require similar changes, and I'm sure the 33/35lb models would.

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Defender.com:

DELTA anchor by LEWMAR:

Anchor Weight 14 lbs
Recommended Chain Size 1/4"
Power Boat Size 24 Feet - 30 Feet
Sailboat Size 26 Feet - 31 Feet

Don and Brenda

City/Region: Camano Island, Wa
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: R-27 Tug
Photos: C-Quest
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using a 14# Delta and 50' of 1/4" chain with the windlass, worked great on the 22.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: