The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

09/21 Lake Powell September 2013 Gathering
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Chris...scary! Glad all seems well now. Just shows that even seemingly minor things can quickly become really bad if not paid attention to.
knewlin

City/Region: Smiley Park
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Secret of Life
Photos: Secret of Life
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: A great gathering! Reply with quote

Greeting from the Secret of Life crew - just arrived at our home after three weeks on the lake, ending with a surreal 8 days on a mostly deserted Lake Powell. There are worse ways to "suffer" through a government shut down, believe me. I won't rub it in with details, but it has been incredible and something we will never experience again on Lake Powell. It was pretty darn magical. We wished you had all been there too. Sunbeam, you guys off the lake before this cold front? We just made it home to rain, sleet and fog. Yuck. Donna[/i]
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,
Wow, good call. I didn't know for sure why you headed south that day -- very good reason! The scary thing to me is how many times I (or others) have similar things and they do turn out to just go away and be "nothing." And yet it's critical to figure out when it is something. I guess being in tune with one's self is a good start (in addition to the visible clues). Glad Terry is on the mend.

Donna,
Surreal and magical is a good way to describe it. We're still out here, holed up (in a non-blowing-sand spot) for the front that's currently passing through. Nice thing is there's access to good hiking (and even an Internet connection). I think what's going to pull us off the lake before we had planned to is lack of food. If only we had fishing gear! It's to the point where last night I was making a list like "6 small potatoes, 3/4 cup of rice, one can of tuna, 12 squares of chocolate (bonus!), 11 almonds, 1 Clif bar," etc. Oh for another striper! (BTW, not sure if your e-mail listed on this forum is current, but I sent you a note with, among other things, huge thanks for the striper you gave us when we parted ways. It was a feast!)

I was starting to think of string and a safety pin and...? for bait. Guess I lightened the boat up a bit too much in the food department (it's hard for me to judge how much food is needed for longer periods of time; of course too, I was presuming the type of grocery supplementation one can usually get at the marina stores to stretch things). We're going to stay as long as we can, but that's probably not a lot longer. Not that we ever had a specific time planned; it was more like as long as it was enjoyable and probably something between two and four weeks. Of course now it's special - so quiet (no sound of motors, etc.). I, too, wish the whole C-Brat group was still here to share it with.
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris
Sorry to hear about all the trouble glad you got off the lake ok and got home safe. I hope Terry gets well soon.

TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy smokes Chris! You guys mustn't do that again! I am glad to hear it is looking better. A 110 mile trip in a hurry on a C-Dory is an event in itself.

Do all you fortunate boaters who cruised the only area that has been at the top of my list for so long have enough pictures for a cruise album to torment me all winter?

Water Bill

City/Region: Lake Keowee, SC
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2018
Vessel Name: Mystery Girl (Ranger Tug R-23)
Photos: Mystery Girl and C-Swell
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,
I was surprised to see you and Terry go by us as we approached Halls Crossing Tuesday morning and wondered why you kept heading down the lake. Now I know why. Sorry to hear about what Terry has been going through, no fun for sure. Tell her I enjoyed the conversation we had on retirement and other things while we were at Iceberg Canyon. Sue and I wish her a speedy recovery.
Bill
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris and Terry--When you left Forgotten that day, who would have guessed you were in for such an exciting medical experience. Terry was really lucky that you were able to get off the Lake before the weather set in. We are glad that everything turned out okay, but what a scare.

We ended up leaving the Lake early too because of a medical issue with our family back home. My sister was taken by ambulance to Utah Valley Hospital due to sepsis caused by kidney stones. I spent the rest of the week with her in Provo. She too is doing better after an extended time on antibiotics.

Even with all the issues at the end of the trip we still had a great time and enjoyed the time with our C-Brat friends. We look forward to the trip every year and appreciate Chris for pulling it all together. Take care of Terry and don't let her back out on the trip next year. She couldn't have another crisis next year. Rodent bites and life threatening infections are off the list now!!!.

Brent and Dixie

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Chris and Terry, what an experience! Sorry that it was not managed so that it was resolved at the first hospital. It is easy to say "all is well which ends well"--but it sounds like some very shaky times and a lot of suffering between.

We never know when something which seems simple, can become life threatening. Brent's comments about resistant bacteria and the importance of blood cultures and rapid diagnosis is also very timely.

Hopefully next year we will be able to join the group again.

We both send our best to you!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating posts....

Donna: "Magical and surreal" are Perfect. We've been to Powell many times, but to see it w/o houseboats, jet skis, etc would certainly be different!

Imagine - exploring up a canyon, finding the Perfect beachcamp, and NOT having a houseboat there already!!!

Sunbeam: Yea, you may want to revisit provisioning issues! You never know when luck will strike and you get to explore Powell solo (sic), although as Donna mentioned - this opportunity may never present itself again (unless we have some sort of monsterous financial/social implosion. (Mary just reminded me: "We were there last year well into OCT, but when Dangling Rope ran out of rootbeer floats you (Casey) made a very wise decision to head toward Wahweap." ...yea, I Remember). Mary, not jokingly, usually says that we could "get-by" for upwards of six months with the food stuff we "normally" have aboard. You never know when weather will blow-in; or a gov't shutdown will come along(!).

Over the years Bill Fiero and I have discussed Lake Powell as a good "hide out" locale in a time when things Really fell apart. It had become a bit of a game for us. Think of places on the lake where you could bivouac for a few/several months, and what it would take supply-wise to just live on your C-Dory for 2/4/6 months or so. Naturally you'd have plenty of (vital) fresh water, but beyond that, what sort of stuff would you need to get by. (For me, there would have to be plenty of BOOKS(!). Glad we have an iPad and a small solar charger!) Think about it ....

Best,
Casey&Mary

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,
Glad you made the decision to go when you did. And Glad Terry is doing better now, that's good to hear. Hard to know what touched it all off, but playing it safe is always a good plan. By now you have probably eliminated a lot of stuff you won't need to be worried about again --- looking at the bright Idea side.

Sunbeam,
I would be in the same state as you are, not a fisherman, so the food issue would be an issue. Any edible vegetation available -- think Bear Grylls, Cody Lundin the barefoot guy or Euell Gibbons of Grape Nuts fame.

I guess having not been there, I don't really get it. So the government shut down, why does that effect the marina and grocery availability? Is it that the owners didn't resupply knowing the boating public wouldn't be there, are they government concessions and everybody is off work or gone? How about an air drop of staples to stave off the need to get to a marina? (Thinking out side the canyon box. Shocked

This is the first year I have followed much about the Lake Powell trip. Mostly because it has seen a long way off before I could think of going there. It has been "light reading" before. This year has been different, more interest, and becoming a foreseeable trip.

Thanks for all the detail and for the pictures. Tyboo, I'll be checking in on that album.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey,

Yep, I'll probably bring more "base stores" along next time. Things like rice, canned tuna, butter, powdered milk, etc. Cut it a bit too close on this one! I also think a water purifier would be handy (although we have loads and loads of stove fuel, so I could boil lake water - but I think we will not run out of tank water anyway). And fishing gear!

I guess I'm a bit rusty provisioning, and plus the "keep it light" factor was new for me. I did fine provisioning the sailboat for 6-9 months, but then weight was not a factor, and I also had the space for a full set of staples to "make" my own fresh food (i.e. baking bread, cookies, etc.). So ironically I found that easier.

I like your and Bill's "game" - an interesting topic to think about. And I too, enjoy being "stuck" in an anchorage, as long as there is a good book, a bosun's kit, and a bit of food and drink Thumbs Up I'm running low on the "good book" part, because I brought along paper books. My buddy has an E-reader and I'm a bit jealous of the umpty-million books he has along.

We're holed up now for a front passing through - was so windy last night that a fetch of about 100 yards produced waves. Now, although it was supposed to still be 20-25mph or so, the lake is like a mirror. Not sure what gives (although wow, the quiet is filling my ears - it was a loud/windy night), but since I have Internet here I will check the weather online (nice luxury as long as the electricity holds out).

Tomorrow morning, weather permitting, we'll go do a bit more exploring. Then, even if the food holds out (which I believe it will, just not lavishly), we'll probably head on in before too long. The biggest bummer for us is that we have no dinghy/kayaks/etc. Last year I didn't either, but the water level enabled boating (with the "big" boat) right up to the end of all the hikable canyons we explored. This year -- because of the lower water level and probably also because my boat-handling skills are not quite up to the level of last year's captain (to say the least!) --we're finding we're not able to get to the end of a lot of canyons to hike. So, either kayak(s) or SUP(s) are on the very short list, along with an 8' pole (for propelling boat and/or guiding along canyon walls). And more food Very Happy

Sunbeam

PS: Harvey, I just saw your post as we were typing at the same time. I'm not exactly sure why all the stores/marinas are shut down, but I believe the concessions (food/gas) are all run by Aramark, which is a contracted concessionaire, so that is probably considered "government." So I think they had to shut down. Earlier I wondered if one of the stores had let their supplies run low on purpose, knowing about the coming shutdown, but that was not true as they had more stock later on.

Of course it's easier to conserve on fuel than food, as you can just sit still.

Your reference to Euell Gibbons made me laugh. I so remember him and his voice and the Grape Nuts commercials. Also that he was a true nature guy (not just a commercial narrator). I imagine there might be something to eat ashore, but I would guess it pales in comparison to the lake full of delicious striper (I tasted a couple thanks to the generosity of the Secret of Life crew), and man, could I go for one now!

PPS: But please don't worry about us starving. It's more just that it's unique for me to be even coming close to running low on food, when it seems that it's usually the case (probably not just for me, either) that one tends to "overpack" in that department. Like most potlucks, where there ends up being way more food than folks can eat. In the current situation it kind of adds a bit to the "fun" to have to be creative and ration just a scoch (not to minimize the situation when people really are starving and it is NOT fun; but just to let folks know that's not our situation now, although I wouldn't mind putting in a grocery order!)

Also, as I understand the situation now, it's fine to stay out on the lake as long as you are self-sufficient with the supplies you have on board, but if you were to go in for re-supply (even assuming there was anything to purchase), then you would be supposed to stay in (off the lake). So, we'll stay self sufficient for as long as we can or are enjoying it, then go in.

PPPS: Casey: Thanks for mentioning Root Beer floats. Now I must have one Cry

Wink
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brats!

Marcia, Boomer and I made it back home on Monday, wrapping up a 5,000 plus mile trip. After leaving Lake Powell we visited my cousin in Sedona for three days and had planned on heading to the Grand Canyon for a few days, but we all know how that turned out.

Reluctant to start heading east, we decided to go west instead, driving from Sedona on Route 66 through AZ and into Nevada and California, winding up at an over-55 campground at Needles for a few days of hanging out at the pool in the mid-90 degree temps and sunshine. Oh yeah, due to the shutdown, almost every tourist area on Route 66 was jammed with tour buses disgorging Europeans, mostly French and Germans. Kind of killed the small-town feel of 66.

We took our time coming home, just enjoying the road, small mom-and-pop campgrounds and being together. The last two days here at home were spent cleaning the camper and boat, using about a gallon of vinegar to get the hard water stains off Valkyrie, followed by hot soapy water and then wax.

Chris- glad to hear that things are getting better for your bride and thanks for your guided tour of the lake!

Regards,

Nick and Marcia
"Valkyrie"
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kudos to the state of Utah...

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/11/us/utah-parks-reopen/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

The Governor and state legislature in Utah have found a way to reopen the National Parks and Recreation Areas in Utah, including Glen Canyon National Recreation Area.

The article above states that $100 million goes into that state's economy from these national treasures. Too many local businesses are effected by the shutdown, and Utah has taken steps to protect their economy. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Jim B.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam,
My understanding is that Dangling Rope does let the stock drop in the fall months. They are open March thru November.--so closed Dec, Jan and Feb. We have been there early in the spring, and there was not a lot on the shelves. But they have to supply food for the employees, and ranger,
if one is there, so some supplies are always coming in until they shut down.

Sunbeam--bass are as easy to catch at Powell as any where--take some gear next time!

I just went to the Glen Canyon Web site--shut down! Now that is dumb.

As for a "hide out"--well the Navajo Indians have scratched out a living on the lands near the canyon--but you don't have the luxury of raising crops.
Fish and rare game is available (game is illegal to take). I want someplace where there is vegetation. (We have about 800 acres of wetlands, nature preserve behind out house--plus game and fish...)

We always carry at least a weeks supply of dry food aboard. Doesn't take a lot of room, or weight. Just sustenance, which can be supplemented with fish.
Lighthouse Express

City/Region: Auburn, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Lighthouse Express
Photos: Lighthouse Express
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our first time on Lake Powell…

Chris, first of all we are glad Terry is doing better now… that's good news.

A great thanks to Chris who met us at Wahweap Marina and explained the trip plan to us including any safety concerns regarding the river since it was our first time. His concern about the group’s safety as a whole, especially during the attempt to visit the arc and calling it off because of severe weather conditions is admirable.

We were amazed by the beautiful and breathtaking landscape. We have never seen anything like that. We most certainly would like to cruise the lake again with this group…

Even more than the beautiful and breathtaking landscape we enjoyed the company of our fellow cruisers…

Chris, Rana Verde, shared his past inside passage cruising experience with us;
Donna, Secret of Life, offered to let us try out and use their paddleboards;
Bill, C-Swell, offered and led us to the upper lake in Iceberg Canyon;
Jay, HunkyDory, shared his valuable Alaska cruising experiences with us;
Lyle & Janda, See-Saw, have our admiration for challenging this cruise with their 16’ boat;
Nick & Marcia, Valkyrie, are passionate anglers, good cooks and fun conversationalists;
Rob, Jean Marie, also a passionate angler and photographer who is always willing to lend a helping hand

In addition, we experienced great conversations with all the other fellow cruisers. All shared their cruising and technical experiences freely with us. Just a great bunch!!

Thanks a lot to all of you for your friendship.

Heinz & Diane

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: