The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Singles versus Twins
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuberg

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Singles versus Twins Reply with quote

No this is not about dating and I'd prefer that Dr. Phil stay out of this discussion.

Smile

I'd love to hear some opinions on equiping a boat with a single engine versus twin engines. (Or a single engine with a kicker engine versus twins.)

How did you equip your boat and why?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each setup?

Thanks,
Robert Stuberg
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I have a 75 HP 4 stroke Yamaha. No kicker. (I carry unlimited towing with BoatUS at a discount because I am a member of the USCGAux and USPS. Love it. The boat is a 1983 Angler model. Love it all.

Fred Heap

flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of a topic that has been through the mill lately: lots of good info here:
http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=2104
and elsewhere in the Outboard forum.

Twins: less efficient than a single, but do give the feeling of safety (may be a false one though, since most engine problems are fuel related).

Of course, I'm totally non-partisan on any engine manufacturer. As long as the engine is painted OEM black -- I'm happy with it.
DodgeRam

City/Region: Vancouver Isl. CANADA
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: SeaRam
Photos: SeaRam
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stuberg, remember if you listen to me or any body else about what is good or bad, you will get so confused you won't know which way to go. Look at the price of a large engine, maybe a kicker also, what do they cost? Add bells and whistles to your kicker . Than the same kicker as to take you back to port if you loose main single (10 miles out) that might be interesting . I have been there. I have twins and I am soooooo happy , but I did not listen to anybody about my choice. I figure that I am way a head cost wise with twins, than big engine with funny looking kicker that leans your boat one way or another. Do your home work, I mean use your computer, make notes, compare . Remember C- Dorys like to be stern heavy but then again you're the only one that is going to live with your decisions. Gary SEARAM
Chris Bulovsky

City/Region: Washburn
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Photos: SCOUT
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went with a Single and kicker. Mostly for fishing. I think its sound logic to rack hours up on a small cheaper (still not cheap) engine. Also I have found that I can troll for hours on a single gallon of fuel! Glad I did it this way with gas prices like they have been. Also the kicker is a get home policy should the main fail. The kicker will not win races ,but its not a racing boat. Its much more..... Its a C-Dory.

Christopher Bulovsky
Washburn Wi
DodgeRam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New technology is amazing. Yamaha mid range engines have a speed control switch that allow you to bring your trolling speed down to 600 rpm up to 900 rpm 50 rpm at each touch of the switch, all day long without harming the engine . Just like Chrysler 300 big block V8 shout down half of there cylinders when driving in town. I think my new 50hp uses less fuel when I am trolling than my kicker did (15hp) on my 18' Double Eagle. Gary SEARAM
Chris Bulovsky

City/Region: Washburn
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Photos: SCOUT
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodgeram-Peeked at you photos... Dang! nice looking boat! Like the downrigger mounts very clever. Wish Ihad the cock pit steering as well. Thats a Fishing machine!

Chris
DodgeRam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank Chris, it is quite the fishing machine . I took it out finally in August for my first big fishing trip . This boat takes a little to get use too, but I am slowly getting there . Trolling for salmon, the boat was almost flawless. Fished with my bud (chocolate lab TIA ) half the time, the back control and steering have to be a must when you are by your self. Those brackets are made out of aluminum very easy to build and install. They are mounted so the bad guys will have a hell of a time steeling them!... The swivel base allows me to swing the arm away so I can open my doors on the lazaret. Where they are mounted they also let me install my full camper back. Gary SEARAM
C-Otter

City/Region: Superior
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: C-Otter
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DodgeRam: Lot's of hours on a engine would effect resale. A buyer would not know if they were fast or slow hour's. I put five times as many hours on my cheap! 9.8 kicker than I do my single main. Eight hours on 1.3 gallons when fishing.

Jack on C-Otter
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of my CDs have had a single main and a kicker. Never a problem, and the 2/3 maintenance cost and effort is certainly a big plus. Most of my fishing is in the Columbia River or outside in the ocean, where currents and breeze make trolling with the kicker a rare event, so that is not a big factor for me in itself. The kicker stays on in case it is needed to keep me off a spit or jetty until B~C makes it across the channel to help me.

Nevertheless - if I were buying new or repowering, I would put twins on my CD25. The biggest reason has to be because I want twins - for whatever reason - and a guy should always get what he wants. The secondary reasons are peace of mind and weight distribution on the transom. The top two bolts on my 130 have pulled the heads/washers into the glass a bit and cracked the gelcoat. Until I can get it to up to the factory for some repair, I have replaced the washers with 3/8" x 4" x 8" stainless steel plates with lots of sealant between them and the inside of the transom. They look just fine and have solved the problem for as long as I want to put off the repair (or as long as my wife makes me). Since a repower would also have to include more power to make me a happy guy, it would be twin somethings. And since a repower is way down the road (Honda!), there might just be enough experience with the new lightweight ETechs to change my vote in an upcoming outboard choice poll. I do believe we will be keeping the boat we have for a long time, so when I do repower it will be getting pretty close to 200 hp and it won't all be hanging in the middle.

AK Angler

City/Region: South Central
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Rod Holder
Photos: Rod Holder
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can somebody please explain the "piece of mind" aspect of having twins. Seems to me that without the ability to push the hull past displacement speed using just one, you might as well have a lightweight, efficient 6-8 hp kicker. And if half of a set of twins can get you up on step, why have two of 'em? I just don't get it... Question

Now, if you want to argue balance, trim and docking abilities, that's a different story. Exclamation

89CD16A- The Navicula has been sold...
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can somebody please explain the "piece of mind" aspect of having twins.

The Columbia River bar can be five miles wide and can change from a lake to a torrent in minutes. One 90 hp would push my CD25 all the way across it no problem; one 15 hp kicker might not. One 90 hp would make way against 5 kt river current; throw in a little wind and one 15 hp would lose ground. I don't care in I'm on step or not, I just want to go home. Same scenario for a CD22 using one 40 hp vs. one 8 hp.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that this topic has been worked so much before, I just have one comment...

I really depends on how you prop 'em... Twisted Evil

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuberg-

You're not going to get a good, all inclusive answer out of this group at this time due to "topic fatigue".

The single vs twins discussion hardly is over before it begins again, but is never finally resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

In the Library part of the forums, there are threads with hundreds of posts on the topic.

In addition, as flagold points out, there are considerable ramblings on which single or twins would be best.

I'm sure there will be more posts on this thread, but I seriously doubt
we'll cover all the pros and cons again right here, so just to be sure you've heard all the possible points, get two yellow legal notepads and go at it!

Just being funny, to some extent, of course, but there must be more already written on this than we can ever reproduce here!

Enjoy! Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Stuberg

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Topic Fatigue Reply with quote

We'll now you've done it. I was counting on the group to answer my question with scientific precision and instead I'm left with a headache. I didn't realize the I brought up a subject suffering from topic fatigue. I'm going to take some aspirin before reading the old threads in the hopes that a clearer mind will discover the prevailing logic.

Smile

In the meantime, I'm going to reread what TyBoo Mike had to said on the subject:

Nevertheless - if I were buying new or repowering, I would put twins on my CD25. The biggest reason has to be because I want twins - for whatever reason - and a guy should always get what he wants.

A man should get what he wants. No argument here.

Robert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: