The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

OB Maintenance schedule, life expectancy, etc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuckDogTitus

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Miner
Photos: Hemingway
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: OB Maintenance schedule, life expectancy, etc Reply with quote

There is a 22 Cruiser for sale with 2 x Honda 40s. The boat really looks clean in the pictures and well cared for. The motors have 420hrs according to his ad. Is that a lot?

I've not had to deal with many OB's, can anyone give me an idea of general maintenance schedules, etc. What can you expect from 420hr OB motors in the near future if they are as well maintained as the rest of the boat?

I am betting someone here knows which boat i'm talking about, maybe he's even a member... Mr. Green
potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those hours may only be a good break in for well maintained hondas. I know of a pair that are at 1500 hours and still running with clean oil and good compression.

It's all about the care. Rinsed after salt water, storage, oil changes, impeller care and so on.

Those hours would not be a reason to reject any of the Suzukie or Honda or Yamaha or Evinrude late model engines.

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill and El got nearly 2100 hrs from their well used and maintained Hondas prior to having one of them fail (the other was still running fine). See this thread for a discussion of that. I think 2000 is a reasonable expectation. For comparison, a car that goes 100,000 miles at an average speed of 50MPH has the engine running 2000hours (not including idling).
DuckDogTitus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys, i appreciate that. As I am getting ready to pull the trigger one of the things I've been balancing is more $$ upfront for newer parts, or save money knowing that I'll be replacing things sooner. This particular 22 really seems priced fairly if that's the story on OB's.
Spike

City/Region: Kent
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Bootleg Hooch
Photos: Bootleg Hooch
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duckdog
I noticed you live in Auburn, don't know if you are familiar with Auburn Sports and Marine? They do good work, have or can get any part,or parts you may ever need, but they are proud of their stuff. I use them quite often as I am just up the hill. Just a little FYI. Would like to see your boat someday.

bcassal

City/Region: BLoomington
State or Province: IN
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Carpy
Photos: Carpy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Hondas are carbureted and have had ethanol gas you might be looking at carb rebuilds. I had my 6 honda 40 carbs rebuilt 2 yrs ago to the tune of $1500. They have run perfectly since. Keep away from Ethanol and don't let them sit unused. Hondas are great motors and will give you long service.

bcassal
Carpy
DuckDogTitus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated!
Spike Im actually in Enumclaw, my office is in Aub. However Im very familiar with Aub Marine. Myself, Pops, and brother have spent many a penny there. Its nice to have a trustworthy shop so close.

When we finally grab our next boat Ill be actively looking to be more involved with other boaters so I can learn from the wise. I think being a part of a community of boaters is half the appeal to us.

T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My honda 45s have very close to 2000 hours on them at this time and still run very well. They don't burn oil excessively, start right up, and they are dependable. At any rate, with decent care they go for a very long time. I hope to get another 1000 hours out of them. BTW, not that it makes much difference probably, mine have had synthetic oils in them (most of the time) for about 15 years.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 2000 hours is the very least you can expect out of the Honda 40. Bridge Bay Marina on Yellowstone Lake has a fleet of rental boats with Honda 40's & the Head Mechanic told me they have never had a serious problem with any of these motors. My twin Honda 40's have over 1400 hours & I still do not have to add oil between changes. Like TR, I use 100 % synthetic oil & believe the twins only nearing their half life.

Jay

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are handy, then a rebuild of the Honda Carburators should not be a difficult job. It is mostly cleaning out passages where the gunk has allowed to accumulate.

I run the fuel out of the carburetors, and then also drain them (small drain screw on the bottom, if I am not going to run the engine for a month or so. The Injected engines seem to do fine, and this does not seem to be a problem.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Falco

City/Region: Flagstaff
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2004
Photos: Bucking Coho
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Total hours is a secondary indicator of engine condition. The most important thing you should be looking at is whether the recommended, regular maintenance has been conducted on the engines. I suggest you purchase (or borrow) the service manual for these engines and walk the owner through the maintenance schedule to see what was done when and what was allowed to slide. Typically, engines with 400+ hours will have had at least 4 recommended service events, 2 of them "major".
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In commercial use you should expect over 4000 hours out of those engines. Granted that they should not have commercial use. But I would not worry if they check out OK today, and you maintain them, watch for corrosion, regular washing/rinsing, etc--along with oil changes, analysis (done now for baseline) lower unit change and analysis).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: