View previous topic :: View next topic  
ltlgoats

City/Region: Beavercreek, Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sunbreaks
Photos: Sunbreaks
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Brand new owner Reply with quote

I just bought my first boat ... 1997 16' C-Dory Cruiser. So far I haven't been in the water (sitting in my shop waiting for dry weather). I'm planning my first launch into the Willamette next week. I have some boating experiance 40 years ago in the USCG so I might as well be a lubber.

Any suggestions, advice, want to come down and video for a laugh?

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tip #1. have fun. dont stress about the first cruise
Tip #2 If its going in the boat ,put it their before you leave home. not at the ramp.
Tip # 3. have a check list. Really check list are great. the first time out or even the hunderth time out. 1. plug 2.gas 3. keys 4.charged battrey.
remembeer murhys law and check it before you leave the house.
Tip #4 have fun.

Guts

City/Region: San Diego
State or Province: CA
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George
I too am looking at the 16 curser and the 19 foot models, please keep us posted on your likes and dislikes.
Thanks in advance
Guts
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a checklist to serve as a starting point for modification to your specific needs:

Boating/Fishing List

____Money, credit cards, check book, boat keys, marina pass, GOLDEN AGE PASS.

____Clothes: shorts, pants, socks, under shorts, shirts, jackets, hats, bathing suit, shoes, sandals, wet suit boots, towels, foul weather suit, …….

____Food: milk, sodas, bread, rolls, crackers, Fritos, trail mix, yogurt, cheese sticks, bananas, oranges, granola bars, nuts, sandwiches, cookies, carrots, food to cook………

____Car: gas, oil, tires, hitch, trailer connector, tool box, blue car box, emergency start pack.

____Trailer:: bearings, tires, tie-downs, lights, connectors, hydraulic fluid, spare, jack, wrench
____Boat: gas, oil, extra gas tank, batteries, plug, full of water, sleeping bags, pillows, propane, swim ladder, …

____Fishing gear: rods, reels, line, lures, hooks, weights, swivels, flashers, tools, net, minnow bucket, downriggers and spare parts…

____Bait: Live bait, worms, minnows (+bucket) crickets (+ container), frozen anchovies, salmon eggs, marshmallows, chicken livers, power bait, ……..

____Medicine: pills, band aids, tape, first aid kit, sun screen, mosquito repellent, toiletries.

____Dog: collar, leash, food, and medicine.

____Ice: ____Block /crushed ____Dry Ice

____Cooler (s)

____Camera: batteries, memory cards, etc. ____Video camera

____Swim float, fins, mask, …

____cell phone, 12v cord

____sunglasses, Rx glasses, reading glasses

____maps, directions, copies of letters, fishing reports, secret plans, etc

____ ________________________________________

Makes for a good laugh, anyway! Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P. S.-

One great way to keep the above list controllable and make your getting ready to go not only manageable but also easy enough that you can easily go whenever you want is to keep as much of the stuff on the list above in the boat (and car) at all times so it will already be there. Assemblying the last 5 remaining items is a lot easier than rounding up 25! I keep everything I can on the boat at all times in the marina so I can go with the absolute minimum of preparation. Joe.
Guts

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf

This is a good idea I all so have a list and think it is a very good idea. the first on the list has to be (is the stern plug in? every ones list will differ I keep mine in (WORD) so I can print a new one each time as I check then off, or at least look at it before you leave the house/ dock/ launch...

my list

Boat check list
q Plugs in???
q Flush tape off???
q Keys
q Bait & bucket
q Gannon
q Gaff
q Stern light
q Poles
q Electronics’ & covers
q DGPS up?
q Cooler cushions (two people)
q Dock bumpers
q Dock lines & blue bag
q Glasses!!!
q Safety bag & blue bag
q Rocky the fish bag
q Cooler’s & ice
q Mustang life jackets/coat’s
q Food?
q Digital camera
q Cell phone?
q Am/fm radio
q Anchor/sea anchor
cdlas

City/Region: Molalla & Lakeside
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: CFURTWO
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Your new boat! Reply with quote

Well it sounds as though you are getting yours in the water before mine. I just bought a 16 foot the Third of this month and took it to Bentleys for a camper/sedan canvas to cover the back. I think I might get it back this Friday and maybe Sportcraft, where I bought it, will take me out for the shake down and help me learn what I should do.

I bought "Wheeler Dealer" "Denebola" when he had just taken (two hours before I got there) to Sportcraft to have them sell it.

It looks like with the Beavercreek address that we don't live too far apart. I live at Molalla. Maybe our paths will cross at some time or other. Cocktail

ltlgoats

City/Region: Beavercreek, Oregon
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sunbreaks
Photos: Sunbreaks
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the tips Reply with quote

I am a 'checklister' and the subjects will go into my Boat Checklist in MS Excel (Travel trailer, vacation, cruise, road trip, etc.) Ain't gett'n old fun!
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, guys, I also keep the list in WORD and still go through it each time, even though most of the stuff is already on board, just to be sure I haven't forgotten anything that needs replacing.

Keep some spare copies on board (or use the one from the current trip) to circle or and make note of items that need replacement, repair, or attention before the next trip. Avoid senior moments that cause you to forget to remember what you wanted to not forget to remember (Yogi Speak Style).

Another key to shortening preparation time for the next trip is to be sure the boat is clean and fully stocked before you leave it or store it at the end of each trip, time permitting.

You'll be twice as likely to take that next trip if most all the prep is already done and you're in the Turn Key Mode. Joe.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard! Tip #1 - read c-brats daily and participate. Tip #2 - come to CBGTs (c-brat get-togethers). Tip #3 - don't wait for dry weather to get out on the water, heck that is why you got a C-Dory! I like the checklist idea - have been meaning to print one and laminate it ever since getting our first c-dory in 2003. My mental checklist:
1- I agree, first item has to be, is the plug in? Most of us have launched ONCE with the plug out...
2 - Money for launch fee?
3 - Gas and water tanks full?
4 - Other necessary stuff aboard (VHF, GPS, chartbooks)...our electronics are not yet installed, so until mid-July, we have to make sure the handheld stuff is aboard. Snacks? Beverages? Other stuff if overnighter?
5 - Trailer tie down removed?
6 - Fenders deployed?
7 - Dock lines in place?
8 - Outboard motor up?
9 - Key in ignition?
10 - Ramp fee paid?
11 - Oscar out of his crate and on the boat (this MAY not apply to you!)
12 - Now what the hell am I forgetting?

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
12 - Now what the hell am I forgetting?

Ummm... I don't see CAR KEYS on your list!

I hate to tell you how many times I have had to help someone unlock their car with the keys still in the ignition at the boat ramp! DOH! It is probably more common than forgetting to put the plug in!

BTW: Congrats on the new 16 Cruiser!

Hey Guts
Quote:
I too am looking at the 16 curser and the 19 foot models, please keep us posted on your likes and dislikes.

Looks to me like you have already subconciously decided on the 19'! Laughing

Guts

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary
I have a Boston Whaler Montauk17 now and am planning on going to LA in July to see the 16 cruiser and the 19 footer. They are going to be getting them at a new dealer so I have to wait till then at least I can get out on the water. The whaler is a great boat but only a bimi top. and no place for radar.I have not decided yet I just need to get in one and see how it feels.
Guts
Luna C

City/Region: Lake Goodwin/Center Island
C-Dory Year: 2019
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Panthera
Photos: Luna C
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many good points. I actually have four sets of boat keys. Two for in the boat, one in the truck, and a spare in the house. Many sets of truck keys. Two on me, one stays in the boat, one with the wife. Also keep some emergency $ on the boat just in case. Extra life jackets, 1st aid stuff including pocket mask, line, fenders, zip ties, bungies, glass cleaner, matches, tylenol, feminine products, duct tape, dive mask, xtra plug, etc. No 4200 yet.

I have used all of these items except the pocket mask. I'll hope not to run into a CPR situation, but it is there if needed!

DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gljjr wrote:

I hate to tell you how many times I have had to help someone unlock their car with the keys still in the ignition at the boat ramp! DOH! It is probably more common than forgetting to put the plug in!

One habit I've gotten in to is..... to always have the drivers window of my tow vehicle rolled down all the way when launching and retrieving. If by chance the rig does get locked up, you can reach in the window and unlock it. CoolSmile

C-Brat #16
Levity

City/Region: Shippensburg
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Levity
Photos: Levity
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a key story: My 19 year old niece drove us to the lake, after a day of swimming and boating we tied to the fuel dock and she (still clad in her itsy bitsy swim suit) dropped her keys over the side into 12 feet of water. She had no hide-a-key and no 2nd key within 300 miles. Fortunately, nature stepped in and helped. Nature in the way of a 20 year old fuel dock attendant and his friends who were willing to do anything for my niece including making repeated dives to the bottom of the lake, rake their fingers through the mud and goo in order to retrieve her keys! Since I can in no way elicit such a helpful response from anyone, I have taken to keeping extra keys to all vehicles anywhere I can think to hide them and I have all keys that may get near the water on floating key rings. I keep an extra set of vehicle keys and cabin door key hidden in the cockpit of the boat, another set in the cabin and a hide-a-key for the tow vehicle attached to it's frame. Keys for the tow bar and for the tongue lock are included in each set.
Mike 'Levity'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: