The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

LED Nav Lights
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I wouldn't add "random" lights to my regular nav lights. The light patterns are specified for a reason, and are very helpful to other mariners at night. As others have mentioned, brighter/bigger of the standard nav lights could be a good option. There is a rule about minimum brightness for them, but no rule against carrying brighter (seen from further away) ones that are normally required on larger vessels.

If it were me, and I wanted to carry something (in addition to the standard nav lights) for certain situations, I think my first choice would be a handheld spotlight. They can be directed either at yourself (i.e. shone on sails or on a white topsides/superstructure), or "blipped" at someone else whom you want to see you (just a blip so you don't blind them).

Another possible option is a white strobe, although IIRC that signals distress. But still at least it's not making you look like something else.

I did see a "car" one night out on an inland lake. It was coming right at us with two bright, white headlights Crook Couldn't figure out what it was, of course, and it didn't help our night vision. Turns out it was a pontoon boat. Apparently some of them come with "headlights." Can't have helped them either (out on the lake/night vision) it wouldn't seem...
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strobe lights are difficult to "localize" because of the rapid flash. They are attention getting. Also may be considered a distress signal--and bring a larger vessel to "help"--which could turn out badly...

The big lights on large commercial boats are certainly bright, and seen at some distance. They are also very disorienting, since you cannot see the navigation lights--often even close. That way it is difficult to see which way the boat is going--and some fishing/squid boats will have the big quartz lights both sides, forward and aft!

On our ICW down here we have the tugs pushing tows, who usually ave two spot lights which light up the banks for about a mile. I just pull of the ICW until they pass.--no way they will turn the lights off, and you cannot see well enough to pass.

The spotlight often works. Sometimes even hitting the bridge of a large ship may not get their attention. The assumption is that the watch is asleep, taking a head break or in the galley getting a cup of coffee. Don't think think that many large vessels have any more than one person on the bridge when at sea!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunh. Tugs on the ICW routinely light up the banks? What is the rationale? On the lower Columbia, never see that. I have been lit up by a tug spotlight once, when the tug, towing a 2x2 barge raft, had to squeeze past a wing dam, and I was in a kayak, near the end of the dam. Very certain he wanted to know exactly where I was, so he could continue skirting the edge of the maintained channel. Tug pilots very courteous, very professional on the Columbia.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ICW along our part of the coast, is rather narrow, and the 9 foot depth is only marginal at the sides of the channels. The tug may be pushing up to 6 80 foot barges. (this is unusual, more normal is a 300 or so foot tow). If the wind or current grabs a barge, the whole rig can be aground in minutes, if not seconds. The tugs are pretty good about security broadcasts: "This is the Mary Jane East Bound at Market 194 for any concerned traffic" Answer might be "22 foot cruiser West bound at 198, which side to you want to pass?, I'll give you plenty of room Captain."
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen the Tug/tows on the Columbia and Snake lighting up the shore with their spot lights. Those lights put out some candle power --- maybe more correctly called "Sun Power", at least that is what it feels like if you catch it in the eyes.

As to who is on the bridge; here on the Salish Sea, and on the Strait's, the big guys are all running with a Coastal Pilot in command. They are in the house and my understanding is that the ships master is also in the wheel house with them. That is definitely more attention to where they are and where they are going than some "recreational" craft I have seen.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

iconoclastastic

City/Region: greenville sc
State or Province: SC
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: LED Nav Lights - thank you! Reply with quote

mgarr682 wrote:
A few days ago I installed some Doctor LED bulbs in my navigation lights. The GE90 Star bulb was too tall for my Perko 1209 all around light. The lens wouldn't screw down all the way so I tried the Marinebeam TW-GE-15. The Marinebeam bulb fit fine.

The actual light portion of the Doctor LED bulb ends up near the very top of the lens rather than centered like the standard bulb and the Marinebeam bulb.

With the standard bulb and the Marinebeam bulb the actual light elements are visible through the center of the lens. With the Doctor LED bulb all that is visible is the large base of the bulb. I don't know if this would reduce light output or not. Also, the height of the bulb kept the lens from screwing down all the way into the base. Notice the gap at the base in the photo.

The Doctor LED red and green lights did fit the Perko fixtures.

As far as light output, the standard bulb and the Marinebeam bulb seemed about the same but the Marinebeam bulb was a much whiter light than the standard bulb.

The red and green side lights seemed about the same brightness.

I was surprised at the volume of water that I found in the green light. I'll have to keep an eye on that.

Thank you for posting this!
I have absolutely no clearance between my (glass) nav lens and the GE90 bulb. I have already purchased one "replacement" LED bulb that will not fit (superbright). I was struggling between getting the marine beam LED replacement or getting individual components. Marine beam does not specify the dimensions of that bulb. I emailed them but no response. Those pics help.

I think it is ridiculous all these posts about modifying lenses etc.. Why are these bulbs not designed to be the same dimensions? The fresnel lens may not be a glass lighthouse quality lens but its definitely not just there for looks its more complicated casting even if it is plastic. I cant believe DR led would put that bulb on the market.

When I get the marine beam bulb i will post the length of it
take care
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could measure it if necessary, but even without that I can say that I bought the Marine Beam bulb for my all-around/anchor light on the 22 (it's the typical removable Perko installed on 22's) and it fits perfectly.

I too first purchased a Dr. LED bulb and found that it didn't fit properly. I could mash the top down and make it work, but even then it didn't really line up properly with the lens of the fixture. So I did not use it and instead bought the Marine Beam bulb. No complaints! (Well, except that it is so bright I need to make a deflector to keep it from shining into the V-berth!)
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are these bulbs not designed to be the same dimensions? The fresnel lens may not be a glass lighthouse quality lens but its definitely not just there for looks its more complicated casting even if it is plastic. I cant believe DR led would put that bulb on the market.

Really? Why don't all computer power supplies fit all computers? It's marketing my friend. Rolling Eyes Wink and sales, that's what it's all about. We gotta live with it or go nuts over it.

Glad you found the right ones at last! Thumbs Up

Charlie Mr. Green

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Bill K

City/Region: Toledo
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: NIC'L PIC'L
Photos: NIC'L PIC'L
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam,
I bought one of these shields at West Marine.

Bill Kelleher

Light Glare Shield

PERKO Light Glare Shield
Model # 192411 | Mfg # 1192DP0BLK

$13.99

[quote= No complaints! (Well, except that it is so bright I need to make a deflector to keep it from shining into the V-berth!)[/quote]

Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking everywhere for one of those! In fact, I ordered one in 2012 which is still on back order Rolling Eyes Also looked when I was at Fisheries in August (and they are a pretty big place). I was going to make one, but if I can find the Perko one will definitely buy it.I'm off to West Marine (online) to see if I can find it there, thanks!
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iconoclastastic-

Your photographs are of professional grade!

Sharp, clear, well cropped: First Class all the way!

Great example for the rest of us!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick, off topic question... Has anyone posted photos using an iPad and the Mozilla [firefox] browser?

Charlie Question
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No but one day this site will be compatible with Tapatalk and posting pics will be easy along with many other features
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
I've been looking everywhere for one of those! In fact, I ordered one in 2012 which is still on back order Rolling Eyes Also looked when I was at Fisheries in August (and they are a pretty big place). I was going to make one, but if I can find the Perko one will definitely buy it.I'm off to West Marine (online) to see if I can find it there, thanks!

Contact Perko for an update
mgarr682

City/Region: Asheville
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Glenda Jean
Photos: Glenda Jean
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:

I found mine on Amazon for about $13.00. Boat-Tec had it listed there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: