The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

LED Nav Lights
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Levitation

City/Region: Hemlock
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: CHARLOTTE ANN
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For nav lights, Marinebeam's LED nav lights have the appropriate colored LED - red/green - so that all the light energy passes through the colored lens.
You will find that white incandescent bulbs have very little green energy in their spectrum so that by the time the light output is filtered through the green lens, the intensity is low (very) because all the non green wavelengths have been filtered out. The same would be true of a white LED lamp used for the green nav light.
The Marinebeam green lamp in my boat is near to being blinding when viewed close up.

For a single white bulb with bicolored lens, I would look into replacing the fixture with separate red/green bulbs.

mgarr682

City/Region: Asheville
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Glenda Jean
Photos: Glenda Jean
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreamer wrote:
I love LEDs as much as the next guy, but, since the engine is running, charging the batteries when the nav lights are on, why worry about low draw? Anchor light is a different story of course.

Sometimes I do run my nav lights when the engine is off, when drift fishing after dark or when raining.

Also, with less electricity being used by the nav lights (and other systems) while the engine is producing electricity more is available to charge the batteries back up. While the output of the charging system on the Honda 90 is quite good for an outboard it is still pretty weak compared to most automobiles. Most auto alternators put out two, three, or even four times the power produced by the Honda 90 quickly charging the single battery back up to capacity. Even with lots of short runs an auto electrical system can keep up with usage. It isn't always so on boats. Just replacing the power expended in starting the engine takes longer and when you figure in the power pulled out of the house battery when the engine wasn't running that has to be replaced there is an even greater deficit to be made up.

Simply put, the less electricity used when the engine isn't running and the less electricity used while it is, the sooner the engine can charge both batteries back up to capacity.

That's my theory and reasoning for putting LED's in the red and green nav lights. Less power used, less power to replace. And then there is the fun factor in just tinkering too. Very Happy

C-Green

City/Region: Houghton
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Green
Photos: C-Green
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running lights: I use LEDs for saftey; they last forever and have no filaments to break from pounding when at sea or on a trailer as others have said. Mine broke way too often. Anchor light: I use an LED for saftey and low electrical draw. If you doubt your plastic fesnel lens is effective do what I and C-Gale did. Put your boat in a barn (or just take your anchor light indoors and jerrry rig a battery up to it), turn on the anchor light with the Dr LED 90 bulb in it and move the lens up and down. When the light is centered on the fesnel belly a strong beam goes out horizontally, otherwise it's a weaker beam angleing up or down. I took an ABS plumbing pipe adaptor and with a saw, file and tape made an adaptor that raised the lens centerlng the light on the fesnel belly and it looks almost factory made, fits tight, and works great.

Jay
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Green wrote:
... what I and C-Gale did... turn on the anchor light with the Dr LED 90 bulb in it and move the lens up and down. When the light is centered on the fesnel belly a strong beam goes out horizontally, otherwise it's a weaker beam angleing up or down.

Good to know, thanks! I really wasn't sure how much difference the plastic version of the Fresnel would make. Not that I doubted it, but I just didn't take it for granted (after seeing how precise the cut glass of a "real" Fresnel is). Sounds like it's well worth the effort to have a centered bulb.

Of course I still want to go to Powell to "research" Wink

Sunbeam Hot
mgarr682

City/Region: Asheville
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Glenda Jean
Photos: Glenda Jean
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Attwood all round LED light. Reply with quote

I came across this on the Attwood website this morning. An option for someone looking for an LED anchor light.

http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/5530

The description includes this, "They even work as replacements in competitive bases, including PerkoŽ brand bases."

A check on Amazon showed them available for $45.00.
Lipidman

City/Region: Campbell Creek
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Thisaway
Photos: Bobby Lou
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby Lou now has all LED lights from marinebeam.com. Cool white for the anchor light, warm white for the cabin and V-berth and red/green for the nav lights. All simple plug in bulbs. They're great!
Photos in my album.
Roger
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lipidman wrote:
Bobby Lou now has all LED lights from marinebeam.com. Cool white for the anchor light, warm white for the cabin and V-berth and red/green for the nav lights. All simple plug in bulbs. They're great!
Photos in my album.
Roger

Roger. Would you mind posting the part nimbers you ordered?

I replaced my anchor light with LED last year. Brighter. Good. Ready to do the rest now.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Lipidman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure-

TW GE 90 double contact base, warm white for cabin and V-berth, cool white anchor. $15 each

For the side nav lights

FS-42-30 C Green or Red $25 each

Hope this helps!

Roger
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was glad to see someone ask for - and you post - additional part numbers, as I was trying to figure out which Marine Beams would work for the sidelights. Thanks. But now I'm wondering if the 19 has the same light(s), because the original poster in this thread listed a different Marine Beam bulb for the anchor light....

mgarr682 wrote:
The Marinebeam TW-GE-15 ... bulb fit fine.

Lipidman wrote:
TW GE 90 double contact base, cool white anchor.

The TW-GE-15 does say it replaces the 90... so maybe you actually got the TW-GE-15? Or else I've got something mixed up.

For the side nav lights, just to double check, do you have the Perko 120/170 style fixtures that look like this:

Lipidman wrote:

By the way, for some reason when I search that part number on Marine Beam's site, I get a completely different light, even though that is the part number Confused But it can (also) be found under "42mm/44mm Festoon LED Navigation Light Cone End Type Mini-Max"

Here is a link:

http://store.marinebeam.com/44felednaliw.html

And here is a link to the TW-GE-15 bulb:

http://store.marinebeam.com/bayonet-90-led-replacenment.html

Sunbeam
Lipidman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sunbeam-
Yes, that is the same side fixture. I don't know why the bulbs are listed with two different part numbers. I took the part numbers from the packing list but noticed that the anchor, cabin and V-berth bulbs have the GE 15 designation on their website. I believe they are the same. I think it is a small, fairly new company that may be having left hand right hand stretching pains. But they seem to do nice work and have a fast priority mail turn around. I like the bulbs.
Good luck.
Roger
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Roger. I am a long ways from my boat but the side lights look the same and I believe the 19 and 22 use the same lights. (Probably the 25 as well.)

This is a great up grade mho and worth the price. Thanks for the help.

Harvey
sleepy C Moon
hardee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Roger. I am a long ways from my boat but the side lights look the same and I believe the 19 and 22 use the same lights. (Probably the 25 as well.)

This is a great up grade mho and worth the price. Thanks for the help.

Harvey
sleepy C Moon
Lipidman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link taken from the marinebeam website that will give you info (perhaps more than you ever wanted) about light and filter transmission through red and green filters:

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-54258538930337/lightsources.pdf

Enjoy!
Roger
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swapped the anchor light and cabin lights to led and I no longer worry about draining my battery overnight at anchor. I didn't do my port/ starboard lights as Roger points out the engine is on. My night runs are minimal. I just got Dr Led from a store in Nanaimo and easy cheap fix. These modern led's use so little power I am amazed.
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
I was glad to see someone ask for - and you post - additional part numbers, as I was trying to figure out which Marine Beams would work for the sidelights. Thanks. But now I'm wondering if the 19 has the same light(s), because the original poster in this thread listed a different Marine Beam bulb for the anchor light....

mgarr682 wrote:
The Marinebeam TW-GE-15 ... bulb fit fine.

Lipidman wrote:
TW GE 90 double contact base, cool white anchor.

The TW-GE-15 does say it replaces the 90... so maybe you actually got the TW-GE-15? Or else I've got something mixed up.

For the side nav lights, just to double check, do you have the Perko 120/170 style fixtures that look like this:

Lipidman wrote:

By the way, for some reason when I search that part number on Marine Beam's site, I get a completely different light, even though that is the part number Confused But it can (also) be found under "42mm/44mm Festoon LED Navigation Light Cone End Type Mini-Max"

Here is a link:

http://store.marinebeam.com/44felednaliw.html

And here is a link to the TW-GE-15 bulb:

http://store.marinebeam.com/bayonet-90-led-replacenment.html

Sunbeam

OK, So now I am home and I can get to the boat and I am seeing different stuff Confused

The side nav lights look just like what is in this quoted picture HOWEVER, when I look at the part numbers, and then measure the bulbs in my side nav lights there are big differences.

The "FS-42-30 C Green or Red $25 each" bulbs are measuring at 42 or 44 millimeters. The bulbs in my lights are marked Perko #70-1 and are only 30.15mm long. So I come up with a completely different bulb, a "Perko Atwood Hella 31mm Festoon LED Replacement Bulbs" that are not available in the red/green version, but only in the 2 colors of white.

[img]http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-54258538930337_2256_5401325[/img]

I don't see any way a 42 or 44 millimeter length light would fit into my Perko lights. So...........

....has anybody that ordered the 42mm Red or Green actually put them into the Perko fixtures
Question

Roger, any chance there was a typo in the part number. (There was mention of a ? disparity between some numbers on the bag and invoice.)

I hope I didn't steer somebody wrong when I said that those side lights looked the same as on the 22. (Lands, why would they be larger on the 19 than the 22) Question Embarassed Mr. Green

I still want to change to LED's. It shouldn't be this hard.

Thanks for checking and helping.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: