thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are required to have the safety gear--and that should be at the top of your list before you take the boat out. Many of the safety items you will buy yourself.

The same may be true for electronics. Many of the boats will come with older electronics--and you have to decide if you want to settle for those, or want the latest greatest toys. There are some real advances in fish finders in the last two or so years, and Radars in the last several years. Also you want the latest available soft ware and chart updates.

Many of the boats are available with camper canvas etc--so as you look at the cost of the boat--add in what each item will cost you to buy when you bring the boat home. Also consider if you want to upgrade from what is there--if you can use the chart plotter, yet want a better fish finder with CHIRP or Down scan/ broadband, structure scan etc.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get your new boat, the key must have is PATIENCE.

Even if it's a C-Dory, not all is going to go smooth.

Boris
Matt Gurnsey
Dealer

City/Region: Port Orchard
State or Province: WA
Photos: Kitsap Marina
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cash. Very Happy
360-895-2193
(888) 293-7991
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Must have's before delivery Reply with quote

A detailed personal inspection lasting a few hours with flashlight, multimeter, mirror, and a checklist of the things to look for from this site.
Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Boris - every used boat I have ever bought has needed something - no matter how perfect a picture the seller painted.

Another thing if you are trading in - make sure you have the ownership for the trade in. The morning I was going to pick up our new Stingray - I hooked up the Campion(trade in) and I was so sure that the ownership was in the glove box of my truck that I didn't even look for it. A last minute check turned up no sign of it. The trade in value that I was to receive ended up having to go on my credit card for over a month untill a lost ownership replacement arrived.

Regards, Rob

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insurance. Be sure you're covered before you hook that boat up.
C-Nile

City/Region: Connecticut
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2012
Vessel Name: Betty Ann
Photos: C-Nile
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom had a good list. I would amplify to state something that may not be obvious. Make sure you have the correct anchor size and type as well as a lot of anchor rode. When a newbie, I had an engine failure on the water on my CD 16 within the first month of use. Long Island Sound is very shallow with a sandy bottom, so I carried only 100 feet of rode and a small two-pound, fold-up grapnel. The one rule on the water is that Murphy (Murphy's Law) always strikes, and it struck me. Our boat became disabled in the Thames River a short distance up-river from the ferry terminal. We were in fifty feet of water, and since the Thames River bottom is granite carved out by the glacier, the grapnel with a 2-1 anchor rode ratio did not hold. We helplessly drifted toward the path of the ferry terminal at 2 mph. I installed a kicker, and then the next time out, our engine conked out just as we left our slip at the CT River and had entered a swift moving current in the channel that rapidly moved us toward moored boats. I started the kicker and we got out of harm's way. In our Marinaut, I goofed at Point Judith in neglecting to turn on the fuel valve after switching tanks (for those of you who are pilots, you know how many plane crashes occur by people like me who make that mistake, which is why my only experience with airplanes is to be a passenger on them.) Our boat had just entered a swift moving tidal channel flow of six feet wave height, and as Murphy would have it, that is where the motor died out. Murphy happens all the time, so assume the worst when you go out on the water and plan for it. And this not only applies to boating, but also to other aspects of our lives. For example, I was mowing my lawn when I slipped on a hill. In a heartbeat of time I grasped the handle to prevent myself from falling, and my foot went under the mower deck. What saved me from serious injury was that protective flap mandated by law. I never remove safety devices. I'm a rational person, and my rational thought is to let go of the handle if I slip, but when something happens so quickly that there is no time to think--only time to react, accidents happen.

Rich

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: