The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Flood / Docking Lights Mounted on Radar Arch
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Little Catelyn

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Little Catelyn
Photos: Little Catelyn
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Flood / Docking Lights Mounted on Radar Arch Reply with quote

I'm NOT a morning person, and will probably find myself coming-in after dark a lot. I'll be working with Tanner on the design of a radar arch for my new boat, and was wondering about installing some flood lights on the arch to assist in docking and boarding. Since my only real C-Dory experience has been a short test drive with Les after I first ordered my boat, I would like some advice...

First, are side-mounted flood lights something that I will need, or find useful? Seems like a good idea to me.

Next, would the radar arch be a good place to mount these? I was thinking maybe a light on either side mounted on the cross-bars that join the main fore and aft bars.

And, if you're still with me, are there any good quality flood lights out there? Stainless steel or chrome would look best. Most of what I've found look like they may be rather cheap, or worse, leak. I read one review where the customer was VERY unhappy with their purchase -- lights were poorly made and leaked -- removed the lights and tried to return them.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Corwin
Luna C

City/Region: Lake Goodwin/Center Island
C-Dory Year: 2019
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Panthera
Photos: Luna C
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For between $250 & $350 you can get a remote control flood light - I may mount on the bow pulpit.
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably don't want to mount a flood light up top...reason being, you'll be blinded by the reflection off your bow rail.

Dave (Sea Shift) turned me on to a cool solution when our boats were getting rigged - we both had stainless plates mounted to our bow rails, and installed remote control GoLights. Here's a pic of mine during installation, and here's a link to several models at the manufacturer's web site.

No glare, works great.

Otter-BelleHavenMarina

City/Region: Alexandria
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Otter
Photos: Otter
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been out a lot at night and actually prefer not to use the spot light most of the time (mine is just a rechargeable handheld). It takes 20-30 minutes to get your maximum night vision, but only a second of bright light to lose it.
Luna C

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the quick loss of night vision, but when docking, I'm there and don't care! How and where did you get the plate mounted? (factory wouldn't do stainless) Where did you run the wires?
C-WEED

City/Region: New Brockton
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: C-Weed
Photos: C-WEED
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Know what you mean about losing night vision. I try to use just enough light for the task. Save the 2MIL CP light for turning night into day. I took the cheap route and could not be happier. Cost was eleven dollars. Found a magnetic mount 55W halagen light at WalMart.

Throws a good amount of 160* light for night moves/docking/fishing. Sticks great to the plow anchor and hangs down out of sight from the helm. There is no better place for a forward mounted fixed light IMO. No Glare in the windows as it is below deck level and no holes in the boat. Has a workboat look to it. Fused 15 ft wire runs under the unused anchor deck pipe.

If I plan on using the anchor, the light then sticks on top of the deck pipe. It comes with a cig adapter but can be hard wired. I hard wired in a three socket cig adapter to the circuit breaker for the windlass. The adapter is on the starboard side of the fuse panel. Then I can cycle the light on and off with the breaker or anything else like the oscilating fan. I like the cig plug. If I boat three weekends during the day, leave the light off of the bow of the boat. If I overnight or find myself out after dark? Pop it on. EASY...

If needed I have a cig adapter by the batteries. So this light can be used as a fish atractor, cockpit light or an excellent maintenance light if you need to do any engine work after hours. Want a side docking light? Stick it on the roof grab rail. I think it will stick to the window sill as well. It has a swivel base. I even use it on my garden tractor. Get a flat at night on the tow vehicle or trailer? This light is what you want. Cheap Thumbs Up Versatility Thumbs Up

The pic in my album is lame. When I get out I'll try to get a pic of the light in action. Life has been keeping me busy...

Little Catelyn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I just got home and found all these replies -- thanks!

When I posted this topic, I almost added that I also hoped to eventually add a remote spot-light to the bow handrail. I've already been looking at the pros and cons of where to mount a spot light -- and I'm glad there was so much information available here on this site -- but, that will be a project that must wait until after I take delivery of my boat.

No, right now I'm working on the details for a new radar arch and wondered if some of those rectangular flood lights might be nice to incorporate in the plan. Hey, might be easier to locate my first mate after she misses the dock.

Thanks,
Corwin
Little Catelyn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da Nag,

I've researched the spot-light issue here, and 'for me' the mounting arrangement you've done looks like the way to go. It is nice to learn from the experience of you and everyone else on this board! Just think of all the holes you all have saved -- NO, no, no, those holes that would otherwise have been drilled in the boat.

From what I've seen, I will probably 'go' with one of the golight models. When I do get to this project, I will look into the possibility of using a removable mount IF the wires can be run through the railing with a plug-in located at the mounting plate for the light. Don't know how well a 12V outlet would work at that location.
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Weed: "I took the cheap route and could not be happier. Cost was eleven dollars."

Just to let you know you're not alone . . . couldn't be happier with the light. No holes, no big money, no muss, no fuss, it just works.

Matt
C-WEED

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flagold: Glad to hear your satisfied. Smile Another neat thing about hanging the light below the anchor. You can loosen the swivel mount. Then as the bow raises up off the water as your speed increases the light self adjusts to remain level with the water. Slow down and the light readjusts. Now if that gravity operated Idea ain't slick...
Luna C

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm goin' to Walmart! Auto aisle?
C-WEED

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luna C, I found it in the isle with all the lights but it was hidden on the very top shelf. It was called a work light. The only one they had and I haven't seen one since. I haven't seen one like it in any auto parts stores but I am sure there are some around somewhere.
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Weed:

Evidently you're a more advanced Wal Mart user than I am . . . I've just been sticking mine above the anchor on the flapper (danforth).

I found mine in the auto-parts section, but at Wal Mart, they could be anywhere. If you have a picture of it handy, it could help people to find out what it is.

I get RADAR tomorrow --Whooo Hoooo!!!!!
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corwin,
If you'll look up page 4 of the Sea Shift album you'll see a couple of pictures that show the port and starboard docking/flood lights and the rear flood light all mounted on the radar arch. These lights complement the Go-Light mounted on the bow pulpit. Although, I've not needed to utilize them much, they sure can light up the area!

C-Brat #16
C-WEED

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a pic of the magnetic base light. About the size of the factory cockpit light. Why yes, that IS real gold on that cig adapter. The red LED light shows fuse is good and power is available. The last pic I posted didn't work. Soooo if not here look on page 3 in my album.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: