The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Battery Wiring Advise
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Levitation

City/Region: Hemlock
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: CHARLOTTE ANN
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grazer, go to Tugnuts, to the factory technical bulletins section and look up the R27 owners manual and go to the power distribution schematic.

here: http://www.tugnuts.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1550

Using a single Blue Seas charge relay you can accomplish what you want. This is what I would recommend to you.
Then a single bank charger placed across the start battery will cause the house bank to automatically connect to the starting battery once the start battery reaches 13.6 volts and both will charge/trickle.
This is true whether the single bank charger is the Engine running or plugged into 120v back at the dock.

There are several ways to set up a system of multiple batteries from the very simple - just parallel another battery - to the blindingly complex.
Simple is good. Parts left out do not fail or catch fire.

cheers

jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Levitation wrote:
Grazer, go to Tugnuts, to the factory technical bulletins section and look up the R27 owners manual and go to the power distribution schematic.

here: http://www.tugnuts.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1550

Using a single Blue Seas charge relay you can accomplish what you want. This is what I would recommend to you.
Then a single bank charger placed across the start battery will cause the house bank to automatically connect to the starting battery once the start battery reaches 13.6 volts and both will charge/trickle.
This is true whether the single bank charger is the Engine running or plugged into 120v back at the dock.

There are several ways to set up a system of multiple batteries from the very simple - just parallel another battery - to the blindingly complex.
Simple is good. Parts left out do not fail or catch fire.

cheers

According to that schematic Ranger still has a disconnect switch on each battery and the charge relay. If you were to have an electrical fire onboard the switches might be your only means of stopping it. as a minimum I would have a switch to disconnect each battery. The charge relay or the DC to DC charger being optional.

Grazer

City/Region: Yukon
State or Province: YT
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: C-Horse
Photos: Grazer
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkidd wrote:
The charger wires connect to the bottom of the switches.

I was wondering if one could do this. Is it as simple as a ring connector on the battery switch post/nut? In this BEP cluster, presumably one could switch the start battery off and send all charging power through the switch to just the house battery. This may be beneficial if you knew the start battery was fully charged but the house battery was run down and you had some available shore power. Thanks Jody

Grazer
jkidd

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The switches just isolate the batteries and combine them. If you use a single output charger you can hook it to the battery or to the battery lead where it connects to the switch. It will charge the starter battery close the relay and then charge the house battery. I use a dual output charger because it will charge each battery at there own rate. When the batteries are charging off of the boat motor it would be like you are using a single output charger.
Grazer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back with an update to my wiring upgrade project. After reading the posts whom all replied and doing some research, I think I finally have a wiring schematic that will work for me. Again, I wish all those who can spare the time to look over this wiring diagram and see if it looks correct. I expect to make the installations myself, have an electrician friend of mine assist and power up. This is my new schematic:

As always, your help is appreciated.

Grazer
Grazer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies for the small size of the wiring diagram, it will be easier to locate in photo album.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking maybe you used the address of the thumbnail (from your album) vs. the expanded photo and that's why it's small. Here is the larger one for convenience:

Grazer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sunbeam!
jkidd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I see 2 things that I would change. The wire for the bilge pump should go straight from the battery to the pump no need to run it up to the switch. The switch is to manually activate the pump and bypass the float. The pump should run in a rain or sea condition if the switch is off. The second would be to spend a few extra dollars and buy a dual bank charger and let each battery be charge at there own rate. While you can charge through the charge relay you have the potential of over charging the start battery more than you need to. You will have this when the motor is charging I would just keep it to a minimum. Some AGM Battery manufactures recommend a percentage of the batteries capacitive for charging typically 20 to 30 amps for bulk charging. the single bank chargers tend to be less than 10 amps for the lower priced chargers. It's all kind of a give and take to try to get the best life out of your batteries.
Grazer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkidd wrote:
The wire for the bilge pump should go straight from the battery to the pump no need to run it up to the switch.

Thanks jkidd, my setup actually does have that - the bilge pump is wired directly to the battery and to the switch. My diagram does not illustrate that very clearly, but thanks for pointing that out. I agree with your assessment of the dual bank charger. Thanks again for your comments.

Grazer
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago on my Campion hardtop I devised a rather unorthodox method to charge my house and start batteries separately. The start batteries were kept topped up directly from the alternator. The house battery I charged with the 15amp 3bank onboard charger. This was powered by the invertor/alternator while underway. When connected to shore power it was a simple matter of changing the 2 battery switches and reprogramming the onboard charger to include the start batteries.

There is a power loss every time you change DC to AC and then back to DC - but it seamed to work Ok. Was a bit of fun to wire up but at the time using the equipment that was on the boat and not spending a bunch more money it did the job of isolating the charging of the 2 banks.

Regards, Rob

Grazer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jkidd"]This is what I used in Voyager and it works very well.

Hello Voyagerjk,

After looking into the various switches, I decided to go with the same model as the one in your boat. I did go with the horizonal cluster however. One question I have is I have noticed both batteries maintaining identical voltage (measured to 2 decimal places on a volt meter). Is this correct? Wired in parallel as per the manufacturers direction, so it makes sense they should be the same, however, one being a start and the other a house battery has me asking the question.

Grazer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: