View previous topic :: View next topic  
potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: So many waters, so little time, The Columbia River and Snake Reply with quote

I've put the Erie Canal cruise into my list for this year.
But, the Columbia River is in my own general neighborhood of travels. I've never boated the Columbia, so I'm wondering what others have done on that great river and is it worth the week or two to get some cruise time in on it? Halcyon had some wonderfully artistic words to say on the columbia, but I'm interested in the technical aspects such as marinas, how well spaced they are and so on. I'm don't think I have any particular concerns about the technical aspects of the Columbia water itself, locks and sand bars and so on. I've got enough experience there from other travels.

I do know from driving along the river that there can be major wind issues in many locations.

We won't be fishing as a goal on the river, just wanting to do a slow float from as far east as possible down to Portland and perhaps a bit further. We don't fancy "doing the bar."

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive had some really great times on the Columbia when i lived on the east side. Crescent bar/Vantage area was never all that appealing, I guess I just dont get it.

The Columbia above Wenatchee starts to get alot of nutrients in it from orchards etc. especially around Brewster in Lake Pateros, so expect alot of algae. I wouldnt recommend it. Lake Roosevelt is absolutely amazing, hundreds of miles of inlets and white sand beaches... plus lots of kokanee to fish for.

We also really liked the Lion's ferry area of the Snake around Starbuck, it's completely away from everything and pretty remote but very beautiful. Lots of spots to camp out.

The one thing to worry about is water level changes can happen fast as they let water out of the reservoirs. I can't tell you how many times we woke up to a beached boat, and had to figure out how get the boat back into the water. I was younger and dumber then however CoolSmile

Marinas are also few and far between, with the exception of Lake Roosevelt. So you have to be perpared for that. Have fun, I loved it over there!
potter water

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll probably limit ourselves to putting into the Lewiston area and going down the snake to the columbia. We wouldn't do the north end of the Columbia, although that could be on another "waters, bucket list."
beermanPDX

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Photos: Jean Marie
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to pick up this cruising guide:

Evergreen Pacific River Cruising Atlas - Columbia, Snake, & Willamette Rivers

It's an excellent source of info. I spend quite a bit of time on the Columbia, but only from the Bonneville Dam to Astoria.

Rob
2008 25 Cruiser - Sold
2002 Nordic Tug 32/4 - Sold
1989 40 Tollycraft Sport Sedan
potter water

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that looks like a really good document for what we are considering. The Columbia will probably be on our 2014 waters plans.
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an area that has interested me for a long time. I used to sail up to hood river every summer from portland and practice heavy weather sailing in fresh water. It was great. Must be like the carribean, 90 degrees, sunny, but lots of wind in the afternoons. You do have to watch for the native gill nets from bonneville up to at least the dalles. I went to the dalles just once but would like to go much further up. The lock at bonneville is the deepist single lift lock in the world as I recall. I did accuracy checks on it during construction and it was amazing. The sun never shone in the bottom. The Oregon State Marine Board has a puiblication out which shows marinas and features but don't know how current they keep it. Would really like to see someone do the whole trip up and record it. May have to do it myself. I know the facilities are pretty sparse. There was a Tugnut that did a lot of cruising up there, might be something on their site.
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah the Columbia -- such a variety. There are many cruising guides (and state publications) to point out the marinas, restaurants, re-supply points, etc. Input from individuals on this site will be important for you. Also, check out our website -- there is information on history, geology, and also some detail (particularly on the upper lakes of the river) which mentions launch sites, ramps, etc., we found the best for us.
A marvelous goal for a cruising season -- unforgettable experiences with the locks, the natural beauty, and the fine folks on and along the river.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: