The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Bennett M120 Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils
View previous topic :: View next topic  
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Bennett M120 Question Reply with quote

Just received my new Bennett M120 tabs with the additional Trim Tab Indicator multifunction switch.

So my question is, should I call Bennett now and order the shorter cylinders or will the cylinders that come with the sport tabs fit a 07 22ft CD???
I know there’s an issue with the cylinder length and the splash well, but wasn’t sure if this effected a 07 or newer modal 22ft CD.

My boat trailer wheels are still frozen in ice and there’s a sizable pile of snow in front of the Triple J, installation won’t begin for a while.

Thanks,

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
RonJr

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
Photos: Beagle
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought tabs and the tab indicator as a kit last year and they fit my 22'.
BRAZO

City/Region: Full-time Travel
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Meyer Meyer
Photos: BRAZO
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We purchased and installed the Bennett M120 tabs last year on our 2008 22 CD and had no problems. Here is a picture of ours (they are taped up for the barrier coat):

Let me know if you have any questions on the install.

Enjoy your evening.

T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull her out to the valley to my garage and we will tackle it if you want Smile Plenty of room and no trouble at all. I would like to know how to do them too. Good luck Jay!

Tim
breausaw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news, one less thing I've got to worry about.

Thanks for the offer Tim, TripleJ is right next to the garage so when I’m able to move her I can back the stern under the eaves, this will give me dissent spot for the job.

Now to figure out where to place the pump. Most likely it will go under the splash well between the tanks, but I’d like to place it under the galley; think someone did this but haven’t been able to find the thread—has anyone place it there?
BRAZO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We put the pump in the starboard aft corner -- right above the fuel tanks (attached with bolts thru the splashwell). Makes it a bit hard to access, but it is out of the way.
breausaw

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRAZO wrote:
We put the pump in the starboard aft corner -- right above the fuel tanks (attached with bolts thru the splashwell). Makes it a bit hard to access, but it is out of the way.

So if I understand you right, it would be sitting on top of the splashwell aft just inboard of the transom; aren’t you concerned it’s a little exposed to the elements there? In reading the directions it says place the pump in a location where it won’t get wet, that’s why I’m considering an in-cabin installation.
BRAZO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, it is actually inside above the fuel tanks. If I had the boat home, I'd take a picture - but I don't. You need to pull out the board that covers up the starboard fuel tank -- then you can reach in above the fuel tanks and back in the starboard aft corner. I then drilled holes into the splash well area -- much better than through/into the hull.

The pump then is completely enclosed in that corner. It is hard to get to the pump, but not that bad. On our previous boat, I never did know where the pump was and over 6 years of ownership -- never needed to know.

Let me know if this doesn't make sense.
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's where the factory installed the pump for our Bennett M120's.

You'll love them. As Tyboo Mike says, it's as if they're made for the CD22.

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
breausaw

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRAZO wrote:
Nope, it is actually inside above the fuel tanks. If I had the boat home, I'd take a picture - but I don't. You need to pull out the board that covers up the starboard fuel tank -- then you can reach in above the fuel tanks and back in the starboard aft corner. I then drilled holes into the splash well area -- much better than through/into the hull.

The pump then is completely enclosed in that corner. It is hard to get to the pump, but not that bad. On our previous boat, I never did know where the pump was and over 6 years of ownership -- never needed to know.

Let me know if this doesn't make sense.

Gotcha; never thought there was room over there.

I’ll have to consider that location because I really don’t like the between the tanks alternative, and under the galley would be a compromise also.

Thanks for the feedback!!!! Thumbs Up
tpbrady

C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Bidarka II
Photos: Bidarka
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay,

Mine was factory installed between the tanks. I put a piece of starboard in front of the pump running between the two tank retainers. That way I have my kicker 6 gal gas tank sitting there but it won't slide back into the pump. I ran the kicker gas line over the port tank and drilled through the splash well so the fuel line stays out of the way.

38 Trawler Mia Terra 2012-2015
42 Nordic Tug 2015-
28 KingFisher 2009-2014
14 Jetcraft 2000-
17 Scanoe 1981-
C-WEED

City/Region: New Brockton
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: C-Weed
Photos: C-WEED
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay,

I tucked mine in behind the fishing rod holder on the starboard cockpit shelf. It is hidden, high and dry and well protected and very easy to inspect and service. Just remove the rod holder slide it in and reinstall the holder. Not sure if the shelving in a new boat is the same as my 2000 model or not. I think if you have a liner it is a bit different.

breausaw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Project complete! Reply with quote

I know how some like closure, so here it is. Even though the Triple J is still frozen in solid I knocked out the trim tab installation in about 20 hrs. The directions are great, but some good common sense is necessary.

Mounting the trim tabs to the transom was probably the easiest part of the project. Used a 3 foot level as a straightedge firmly screw jacked against the bottom. Was fortunate in missing my fuel tank hold-down strap brackets by about an inch; it’s hard or next to impossible to know exactly where the through holes will end up. Per Bennett approval I used 5200 instead of marine epoxy on the tab hinge bracket, and on the upper control arm; sharp drill bits with accurate centers are a must.

Finding a place to mount the pump and EIC relay module was probable the hardest part of the project; I went with mounting them between the tanks against the transom. There was just not enough room beside and on top of the fuel tanks; sure I could have made it possible but access would have been tough.
You need about 3 inches clearance on top of the pump to slide it down into its holding bracket and have enough top clearance to pull the top cover, not possible unless you place it close to the floor. What I did was mount a backing plate of marine plywood to the transom steeped out about an inch at the top to level it vertically, and then mounded the pump bracket to and additional piece of board that attaches to the backing plate with two screws. The pump is now mounted as High and Dry as possible and can be removed with two screws, which I had to do after priming the lines-was no problem.
The EIC module is mounted to the side attached to a piece of starboard.
I wanted enough room under the pump for my in-hull transducer, another project I’ll tackle later this summer.

To protect the pump & EIC relay took a little ingenuity, perseverance, and ideas taken from fellow Brats. The bottom portion is composite deck 2x2s with cider attached with two galvanized corner brackets to hold a piece of starboard. Sandwiched a couple pieces of starboard together on the back side of a large piece, once dropped in place it covers most everything but still allows water flow underneath.

I wanted the EIC located in a convenient place but doing this required unbolting the steering column and dripping it to the side. I’d already tried to pull the wheel but didn’t have the right puller, unbolting was easy since I’d already done that when I cut out the mount hole and moved the column up and inch earlier this winter.

When I moved the steering column up an inch this left a sizable gap under the column, so made something functional to cover the hole. After mounting my little catch-all using the same bolt holes that held the steering column decided the black knob had to go, made a replacement out of Sitka Spruce-after all she’s an Alaskan boat.

Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

breausaw wrote:
Just received my new Bennett M120 tabs...

So my question is, should I call Bennett now and order the shorter cylinders or will the cylinders that come with the sport tabs fit a 07 22ft CD???
I know there’s an issue with the cylinder length and the splash well, but wasn’t sure if this effected a 07 or newer modal 22ft CD.,

BRAZO wrote:
We purchased and installed the Bennett M120 tabs last year on our 2008 22 CD and had no problems

breausaw wrote:
I know how some like closure, so here it is. Even though the Triple J is still frozen in solid I knocked out the trim tab installation in about 20 hrs.

I'm just about to mount the tabs and cylinders of my new Bennett M-120's. I actually have the shorter cylinders on hand (so I have both the standard and shorter ones to choose from) and was ready to use them, but then I noticed that (at least going by photos) if I use the shorter arms the top bracket (with the three small holes and one larger hole per side) will probably be beneath the waterline (I think?), whereas the longer arms wouldn't. Of course I will overdrill/fill either way, but as I thought about it I realized that if the longer arms would fit, well, why not keep those holes above the waterline more often. Measuring to see if they will hit the underside of the splashwell is just a bit close to feel comfortable with, given the inability to perfectly measure in/out. So I searched and... glad to find this thread as it looks like the longer (standard) arms will fit. Or rather *should* fit.

BRAZO wrote:

I already have the HPU mounted, and just wanted to thank BRAZO for suggesting this location. It might have been a bit tight with my original, 25-gallon tanks, but it fits nicely with the new 23-ers. Takes advantage of "inconvenient" space Thumbs Up Only difference is I attached mine to the hull side with Weld-Mount studs a bit forward of the transom, but basically the same location.

I have to admit I'm finding myself a bit nervous getting started on the physical tab mounting itself. Between the placement of the tabs, the arms, the Mini-Jacker, the kicker, and then the fuel tanks/hoses/filter/etc. there are a lot of interconnected systems about to go in! Shocked

breausaw wrote:
Mounting the trim tabs to the transom was probably the easiest part of the project. Used a 3 foot level as a straightedge firmly screw jacked against the bottom.

Oh, I'm going to use this idea! I was wondering how I was going to do all the measuring/marking at once without shiva hands Very Happy

Sunbeam Hot
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: