The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Bennett trim tab indicator relay mounting?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Sunbeam



Joined: 23 Feb 2012
Posts: 2653
City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Bennett trim tab indicator relay mounting? Reply with quote

Hi folks,

Short version:
Wondering where and how people have mounted the relay for the lit indicator switches on the Bennett tabs. Not how as in how attached, but how as in did you use an enclosure or...?

More info:
I'm partway through installing a set of Bennett M-120 sport tabs on my 22. I originally bought them without the indicator switches (they come with "plain" switches), figuring, "I can always add them later." They're fairly pricey. Well..... then I looked at the installation instructions for adding them later. It's practically like reinstalling them Cry So, I decided to just bite the bullet and get them now. Guess I'd rather decide they're a luxury I didn't need than decide I want them later and have to take everything back apart again (I debated just going to Auto Tab Control, which you CAN add later just with wires, but ... I don't know... that seemed maybe a bit too automatic).

When I spoke with Bennett on the phone prior to ordering the indicator kit, they stressed that the relay be mounted in a DRY location. Since it needs to be within about 8" of the HPU, it's going to be in the after/starboard corner of the cockpit (my HPU is mounted above the starboard fuel tank on the hull side). That means the relay will either be in the same location, next to the HPU above the fuel tank; or, I think I can run the wires upward and mount the relay in the starboard lazarette, where I have the batteries and associated switchery. I would think those are both pretty dry, normally, although maybe when trailering in a pouring rain or hosing down the boat....? Bennett suggested a waterproof enclosure, but in order for one to fit it's going to be pretty large and not exactly cheap (at least looking on McMaster-Carr). So I'm just wondering how/where other people have mounted the relay? How much care did you take to make sure it's perfectly dry? Have you had any moisture-related problems? I was slightly surprised how much they stressed that it stay dry, given that it needs to be close to the HPU, which is generally probably not in an enclosed cabin.

By the way, I did run a search but would like more info if possible.

Thank you,
Sunbeam
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Aurelia



Joined: 20 Aug 2009
Posts: 1144
City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Ari
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure mine was in the underfloor cockpit space on our 25 and it was NOT a dry space. It was not underwater but very humid to say the least.

Never had any trouble with the tabs other than the indicator needing occaisional re-calibration.

Greg

_________________
Greg, Cindie & Aven
Gig Harbor
Aurelia - 25 Cruiser sold 2012
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tabman



Joined: 07 Feb 2011
Posts: 28
City/Region: Mount Pleasant
State or Province: SC
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Bennett trim tab indicator relay mounting? Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
Hi folks,

Short version:
Wondering where and how people have mounted the relay for the lit indicator switches on the Bennett tabs. Not how as in how attached, but how as in did you use an enclosure or...?

More info:
I'm partway through installing a set of Bennett M-120 sport tabs on my 22. I originally bought them without the indicator switches (they come with "plain" switches), figuring, "I can always add them later." They're fairly pricey. Well..... then I looked at the installation instructions for adding them later. It's practically like reinstalling them Cry So, I decided to just bite the bullet and get them now. Guess I'd rather decide they're a luxury I didn't need than decide I want them later and have to take everything back apart again (I debated just going to Auto Tab Control, which you CAN add later just with wires, but ... I don't know... that seemed maybe a bit too automatic).

When I spoke with Bennett on the phone prior to ordering the indicator kit, they stressed that the relay be mounted in a DRY location. Since it needs to be within about 8" of the HPU, it's going to be in the after/starboard corner of the cockpit (my HPU is mounted above the starboard fuel tank on the hull side). That means the relay will either be in the same location, next to the HPU above the fuel tank; or, I think I can run the wires upward and mount the relay in the starboard lazarette, where I have the batteries and associated switchery. I would think those are both pretty dry, normally, although maybe when trailering in a pouring rain or hosing down the boat....? Bennett suggested a waterproof enclosure, but in order for one to fit it's going to be pretty large and not exactly cheap (at least looking on McMaster-Carr). So I'm just wondering how/where other people have mounted the relay? How much care did you take to make sure it's perfectly dry? Have you had any moisture-related problems? I was slightly surprised how much they stressed that it stay dry, given that it needs to be close to the HPU, which is generally probably not in an enclosed cabin.

By the way, I did run a search but would like more info if possible.

Thank you,
Sunbeam


Sunbeam,

The reason we stress a dry location is that there are some low voltage connections that can suffer if there is some corrosion on them.

If it is possible to find a reasonably dry location and protect the module and its connections with a corrosion inhibitor such as T-9 that is usually fine.

On a boat the size of a C-Dory it is also OK to mount the module closer to the helm and extend the 4 color wire harness and sensor wires that run to it.

If this type of set up would help you find a better location for the module, and you need longer wires, let me know and I will be delighted to help.

Tom McGow
Bennett Marine
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sunbeam



Joined: 23 Feb 2012
Posts: 2653
City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Bennett trim tab indicator relay mounting? Reply with quote

Hello Mr. Tabman!

How nice of you to reply to my query. I have to say that your presence in online forums (here in our archives, on The Hull Truth, etc.), combined with the overall service level of Bennett is a big part of why I chose the Bennett tabs Thumbs Up

Tabman wrote:
The reason we stress a dry location is that there are some low voltage connections that can suffer if there is some corrosion on them.

If it is possible to find a reasonably dry location and protect the module and its connections with a corrosion inhibitor such as T-9 that is usually fine.


Always nice to know the why behind the "rules," so thanks.

Tabman wrote:
On a boat the size of a C-Dory it is also OK to mount the module closer to the helm and extend the 4 color wire harness and sensor wires that run to it.

If this type of set up would help you find a better location for the module, and you need longer wires, let me know and I will be delighted to help.


Oh, good to know! If I extended the wires by around 8' or so, I could mount the relay under the galley. While it would probably be fine tucked up under the fuel tank, it can't help but be dryer "indoors." If that kind of distance wouldn't cause a problem electrically, I think I'd like to go with that.

How would it be best to contact you? Through a PM here, or?

Thanks so much,
Sunbeam Hot
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thataway



Joined: 02 Nov 2003
Posts: 11411
City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Thisaway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good reason to have Bennett Trim tabs! Best customer support of any marine product.
_________________
Bob Austin
Thataway
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Tabman



Joined: 07 Feb 2011
Posts: 28
City/Region: Mount Pleasant
State or Province: SC
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Bennett trim tab indicator relay mounting? Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
Hello Mr. Tabman!

How nice of you to reply to my query. I have to say that your presence in online forums (here in our archives, on The Hull Truth, etc.), combined with the overall service level of Bennett is a big part of why I chose the Bennett tabs Thumbs Up

Tabman wrote:
The reason we stress a dry location is that there are some low voltage connections that can suffer if there is some corrosion on them.

If it is possible to find a reasonably dry location and protect the module and its connections with a corrosion inhibitor such as T-9 that is usually fine.


Always nice to know the why behind the "rules," so thanks.

Tabman wrote:
On a boat the size of a C-Dory it is also OK to mount the module closer to the helm and extend the 4 color wire harness and sensor wires that run to it.

If this type of set up would help you find a better location for the module, and you need longer wires, let me know and I will be delighted to help.


Oh, good to know! If I extended the wires by around 8' or so, I could mount the relay under the galley. While it would probably be fine tucked up under the fuel tank, it can't help but be dryer "indoors." If that kind of distance wouldn't cause a problem electrically, I think I'd like to go with that.

How would it be best to contact you? Through a PM here, or?

Thanks so much,
Sunbeam Hot


Sunbeam,

Thanks for the kind words!

The best way to contact me is at Tabmanhelp@gmail.com I check my e-mail a little more frequently then the forums.

You likely have enough of the 4 color wire harness and would need to extend the sensor wires to mount the module there. I can send you cable for the sensors that you could splice into them to do that. We would simply charge for the shipping only.

You could coil up the blue EIC cable, or if you wished to have a shorter one we can arrange an exchange.

Send me an e-mail and I will be happy to get you what you need!

Tom
Bennett Marine
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sunbeam



Joined: 23 Feb 2012
Posts: 2653
City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Bennett trim tab indicator relay mounting? Reply with quote

Tabman wrote:
The best way to contact me is at Tabmanhelp@gmail.com..... Send me an e-mail and I will be happy to get you what you need!


I'll do some looking and measuring and then send you an e-mail. Thanks again for the great service!

Sunbeam
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tabman



Joined: 07 Feb 2011
Posts: 28
City/Region: Mount Pleasant
State or Province: SC
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Bennett trim tab indicator relay mounting? Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
Tabman wrote:
The best way to contact me is at Tabmanhelp@gmail.com..... Send me an e-mail and I will be happy to get you what you need!


I'll do some looking and measuring and then send you an e-mail. Thanks again for the great service!

Sunbeam


Very Good!

I will be standing by to hear from you.

Tom
Bennett Marine
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
     Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum



Page generation time: 0.0704s (PHP: 69% - SQL: 31%) - SQL queries: 25 - GZIP disabled - Debug on