View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgarr682

City/Region: Asheville
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Glenda Jean
Photos: Glenda Jean
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Adequate anchor for 22' Angler? Reply with quote

I've got a 16.5 pound Lewmar claw anchor with 20 feet of 1/4 inch chain. Is that generally adequate for the 22 C-Dory in a sandy bottom with a minimum of 7:1 scope or should I be looking for something larger?
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should be fine. How much line do you have attached to the chain?
We started with that same setup but moved to a Delta plow anchor after the Lewmar failed to set easily in kelp. We now have 35ft of chain and 300ft of line.

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak from experience with the C-Dory (yet!), but I did comb through the archives when I was preparing to purchase an anchor. It seems like a common "good" size for a claw, plow, or similar-shaped anchor is around 15 pounds on a 22, with the occasional person having a 20-pounder.

One comment that's not specific to one boating area, but just what I've noticed in general: These days it's hard to count on 7:1 scope, unless you only boat in really out-of-the-way places, due to moorings, other boats, etc. In other words, it's nice to have a setup where you feel comfortable on 4:1 or 5:1 if possible. (That said, with such a shallow-drafted boat, it's probably possible to get to an uncrowded spot even in a crowded anchorage.)

I like Danforth style anchors in sand, if you aren't going to leave the boat unattended. I had planned on one for my second anchor (or a Fortress), but for now I jumped on a great deal on a Lewmar claw (Bruce clone), even though it's not going to be as easy to stow, and somewhat duplicates the type of my primary anchor. For my primary setup, after poring through the archives here, I went with a Manson Supreme 15# - first time I'm trying one of those - plus 25' 1/4" G4 chain and 200' 1/2" brait line. I had a hard time not upsizing everything, but forced myself not to Very Happy

My setup has not yet been tested though, so take my thoughts for what they're worth.

Sunbeam
mgarr682

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colobear wrote:
That should be fine. How much line do you have attached to the chain?
We started with that same setup but moved to a Delta plow anchor after the Lewmar failed to set easily in kelp. We now have 35ft of chain and 300ft of line.

I have 230' of 1/2" line for a total of 250'. Plenty of line for eastern NC. Unlike you folks in the northwest we have to go miles offshore to find deep water.
mgarr682

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
One comment that's not specific to one boating area, but just what I've noticed in general: These days it's hard to count on 7:1 scope, unless you only boat in really out-of-the-way places, due to moorings, other boats, etc.

You're right there, "popular" anchorages can get quite crowded. The places I usually anchor aren't a problem though. I will shorten up scope when stopping for a short time when I can keep an eye on things but when I stop for the night if I can't get at least 7:1 (more if possible) I find somewhere else to drop the hook. I hate waking up in a different place from where I went to sleep. Shocked

Sunbeam wrote:

I like Danforth style anchors in sand, if you aren't going to leave the boat unattended.

In the past Danforth style anchors are all I've used but I wanted to try the claw anchor since it is one piece so no rattles and not so many sharp points.
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7to1is generally pretty hard to do. Your swing area is going to be big. Unless it blows hard it isn't needed. We do 2 to 1 many times on a 22 lb and 45 ft of 1/4 high test.
chimoii

C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Chimo
Photos: Chimo
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there are many opinions here, a lot depending on the conditions in which you are anchoring. We boated for nearly 20 years on the Chespeake and anchored out a lot. There were all sorts of gunk holes for the weekend (Still Pond, Chester River, Severn River etc. etc. for those who know the places). Mostly the bottoms were mud and sand and the water depths 4-6ft. We had a good sized cruising boat and used a Danforth with only 10ft of chain and 150ft of line. With crew on the bow getting a set was easy. I often used 10:1 genuine scope or more. When the tide or wind changed in the night the boat would swing and the anchor didn't reset on several occasions. Fortunately the anchor alarm always warned woke us.

In later years I boated alone and tried a Fortress because of the weight. When I would arrive in the area of other fishing boats I had to go through real gymnastics to try and get the anchor set before drifting into a neighbour. I was embarrassing. The Fortress skipped along the top of the mud, even with mud palms attached. I switched to a claw and never had a problem again. It was backbreaking to haul because it would really bury itself but it would always reset without a problem.

Now the PNW when a shallow anchorage, when you can find one, is 20 ft. And the currents are fierce at times. That's 160 ft going out to get 7:1 for a lunch stopover. The plow works great so far. I have 30ft chain between it and 300 ft of twisted rode. I just thank the Lewmar every time I don't have to haul it all aboard!

So, different conditions mean a different answer. What anchor are the other locals using on similar boats? One thing I may get disagreement on is the rode. I have come to use braided line for dock lines here as the docks are floating and the harbour is very sheltered. I would never use braid for an anchor line. Having ridden out some horrendous storms on the hook and watched the anchor rode stretch like a big rubber band I want all the shock absorption I can get.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weight is adequate. I am not a big fan of the Bruce or claw type of anchor. I prefer the Danforth High Test (should be genuine--not a "hooker" etc. The Manson Supreme or Ronca is another great anchor.

As for the scope and anchoring a C Dory. It is not as much of an issue. I am usually a 2 anchor person--bow and stern. The beauty of the C Dory, is that you can get in close to the beach, where other boats don't want to be, put out two hooks and sleep like a baby because of the security! You can be in the shallow water, and not worry about swinging.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
bridma

City/Region: Comox
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Adequate anchor for a 22' Angler? Reply with quote

I have been anchoring around the Gulf Islands, Sunshine Coast, and Desolation Sound, for the last 15 years. Never put out more than a 3 to 1 scope, and we have tide changes of 18ft.
My present set up is a 7.5kg Bruce, 35' 1/4" high test chain, and 200' of 1/2" rode. 7 to 1 scope is unheard of around these parts.

Martin.
mgarr682

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the input!
C-Nile

City/Region: Connecticut
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 2012
Vessel Name: Betty Ann
Photos: C-Nile
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is true sand, where a Delta anchor, for example, holds fast, and then there is the type of black silt one typically encounters in anchorage areas in the Northeast. While a 14 pound anchor may hold well in sand, in a silty bottom certain lightweight anchors glide through the silt like a hot knife through butter. I now have a 22 pound Delta, and it holds well in silt and with minimal scope. The only problem I find is that 22 pounds is really rough on my back and arms given I don't have a windlass. If I had to do it over, I would follow Dr. Bob's advice and get a lighter anchor of a different design more effective for the bottom conditions frequented.
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was in one of the forums here that I read some advise re. anchor size. "If your tied at the dock and people don't walk by and point at your anchor and laugh, then it isn't big enough!" Laughing Laughing

Regards, Rob

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: